User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey Chuck,
    my question is, after what happened to the Soda Poppers in Season 2, do you know if they will come back? And if not, what Soda Popper-like characters would pop up over the course of this series?

• Hi Chuck!

Sam and Max Season 2 and espacially Tales of Monkey Island clearly was comparable to animation films. Cutscenes, camera angles, storyline - a big step up in my opinion. On the other hand there is Heavy Rain with its dramatic, more realistic story (from what I read, don't own a console).

What is Telltale's account on episodic dramatic stories? Is this something Telltale like to/will try in the future? And would there be enough manpower to make such a game without abandoning your other franchises?

• @Kroms said: You like the Poppers?

That's a tough one. I'm not sure how I feel about them. They do seem a bit annoying, and Wizzer's voice drives me nuts, but it is funny to see them randomly pop up.

• @Jake said: To elaborate on what Chuck said, in the comics it's been hinted/insinuated that Max has latent psychic abilities, and they made a very public appearance in the comic "Beast from the Cereal Aisle," wherein Max does weird psychic battle with... a beast from the cereal aisle of a local grocery store.

Here's a panel:

MaxPowers.jpg

I always believed that were more "Spiritual" powers than Psychic powers, which is totally diferent in my book. Now, if he has latent psychic powers at well, I'm not really surprised. He has to compensate the lack of atention span and long term memory with something.

@Jake said: So not only is it weird, but it's canon as well :) ... if there's such a thing as "canon" in Sam & Max.

Agree

@Jake said: Well, the comics treat Sam & Max as roughly equal in terms of insanity, but we have a harder time doing that in videogames. You can't have your "main" character be as completely unpredictable as Max, or you wouldn't be able to have any control over the story. So we've had to rein Sam in a little, and make him a little more Guybrush-y. We've been looking for ways to bring back a little of Sam's mania, though, and give him some more jokes instead of just handing them all over to Max. Over the course of the season, you should see Sam's character getting more interesting.

You just made a Fan Girl really happy.

• I know you've been waiting for my next question so here it is.

I noticed you said earlier, that this season will story heavy, what made you change your mind from going to case by case and then wrapping it up from the last few episodes, to having every episode more connected?

• Ooh! I must ask questions as well!

1. Around how many items would we be able to fill our inventory with during a single episode? Cuz in S&M season 1 it was like 4-5, and in ToMI it was more like 14-15.
    I really like more items, it makes our brain work harder...

2. Around how much time each episode will take? TT episodes usually takes 4-6 hours each... Will the episodes be longer this time? More puzzles?

3. Will there be any BIGFOOTS?! S&M must have bigfoots!

• 1. Is Max still president in Season 3?

2. Is the giant stone head of Abe Lincoln also in Season 3? (I don't hope so. For me this head was the most annoying character in Season 2.)

• I really, really liked the opening credits for S&M season 2. They really set the tone, and got you geared up for the episode. I hope the cold-open-to-opening-credits style has been retained for season 3? I didn't miss it in ToMI, because that's a different type of story, but a Sam & Max episode just showing credits at the bottom of the screen without great fanfare just doesn't seem right.

• Will Season 3 still have the occasional musical features like the Soda Poppers' Theme and the War Song?

Add Comment