User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4.2K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I hope so. Season 2 didn't have enough of them, only the mariachis and the friendly demon song. Season one had like one per episode.

• @avistew said: I hope so. Season 2 didn't have enough of them, only the mariachis and the friendly demon song. Season one had like one per episode.

While this is true, I do like the way Season 2's songs complemented the story.
    In Season 1 I kinda got the idea that they were just trying to fit a song in there somewhere.

• @Joop said: While this is true, I do like the way Season 2's songs complemented the story.
    In Season 1 I kinda got the idea that they were just trying to fit a song in there somewhere.

Even if that's the case, it's Sam and Max. Randomness isn't a problem.
    Not that I have a problem with it being tied to the story I guess.

• @Jake said: Does the story have to get bigger? I think it can get different. Sam & Max isn't like Lost where each season we zoom out to an even more macro view. It could take a hard right turn and spend half the season in a pocket dimension found in Jimmy Two-Teeth's rathole, and would be alright.

Obviously you've thought this through more than I have. Also, now I want to see that game made!

@Jake said: You like the Poppers?

I liked them. :D

• @Kroms said: You like the Poppers?

From the three episodes I've played so far (Culture Shock, Situation: Comedy, and Abe Lincoln Must Die!), I've liked them. Then again, I also can't seem to figure out why people hate Brady Culture, so to each his own.

• Questions!

1. So you've stated that story and design come first. Then puzzles. When you finally get to puzzles to you keep in mind technical limitations or do you design the puzzles and then see how much you're going to have to expand the engine? Does this lead to a lot of delays or frustration?

2. Are there any easter eggs in any of the seasons?

Chuck Specific Question:
    1. Cajun Zombie?

Ben Specific Question:
    1. Is engine development done separately from game development? Like are you constantly trying to improve the engine and add neat features independent of any feature requests that may come out of a particular game's needs?

Shauntron Specific Question:
    1. Hi there! What do you do at TellTale?

Jake Specific Question:
    1. Hi Jake. I think I remember you from the TMI pre-order forum. You do web stuff right? Is there going to be any fun web integration in DPH like the treasure hunting game from TMI?

• @lombre said: From the three episodes I've played so far (Culture Shock, Situation: Comedy, and Abe Lincoln Must Die!), I've liked them. Then again, I also can't seem to figure out why people hate Brady Culture, so to each his own.

I can think of a few other people who've mentioned they don't hate the Soda Poppers (myself included, incidentally). But since most of the fandom would go into a conniption fit if they ever returned, it's probably for the best they don't.

• @light_rises said: I can think of a few other people who've mentioned they don't hate the Soda Poppers (myself included, incidentally). But since most of the fandom would go into a conniption fit if they ever returned, it's probably for the best they don't.

Oh, I liked them for their run, but it feels like their "arc" is over. They've really served their purpose by the end of the last episode of Season 2. Maybe it's better that most people didn't like them along with Sam and Max, so that they could have a satisfying story arc that ENDS.

• @Rather Dashing said: Oh, I liked them for their run, but it feels like their "arc" is over. They've really served their purpose by the end of the last episode of Season 2. Maybe it's better that most people didn't like them along with Sam and Max, so that they could have a satisfying story arc that ENDS.

I admit they weren't my favorite side characters. Actually in the list of side characters they're in the bottom five of characters I could do with out. But they definitely had redeeming value int he later episodes when they got away from their initial concept of 'amusingly annoying' and more 'making fun of the fact that they are amusingly annoying'. I admit the whole Dakota war made me laugh the first time.

• Nope, still no inventory combination in Sam & Max. It's something that's inherent to Monkey Island games, so it would've felt odd if it hadn't made it into those. But the Sam & Max games never really seem to need it.

I don't really get it. I never associated inventory combination with Monkey Island any more than with any other of the old lucasart games. Seems to me it's just part of adventure gaming as a whole, not of any specific game or franchise.
    Not that i really care if there IS or not some item combination in season three, especially since the whole psychic powers thing seems more than enough to mess with and improve gameplay, and i sure agree with the "if it's not needed, why use it ?" approach, but i just don't really understand why it felt more "necessary" to you in MI than here.

Add Comment