User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Will there be special secret cameos by any voice actors?

• @The Highway said: I didn't like the new way of making Sam talk. I preferred the old way, with the list, but i suppose I'll get used to it.

Ah, yes. Same here. I already gave my whole speech why I prefer list over a pointers.
    Good example of this is Fahrenheit, where when I was playing English I never talked like I would have wanted, while I did when playing German, because I had no idea what convo option I picked because I can barely read German :p.

So the question is... why did you guys vote for using this conversation system instead. What are the pro's that made you pick it over the con's?

• @Astro Gnocci said: I don't really get it. I never associated inventory combination with Monkey Island any more than with any other of the old lucasart games. Seems to me it's just part of adventure gaming as a whole, not of any specific game or franchise.
    Not that i really care if there IS or not some item combination in season three, especially since the whole psychic powers thing seems more than enough to mess with and improve gameplay, and i sure agree with the "if it's not needed, why use it ?" approach, but i just don't really understand why it felt more "necessary" to you in MI than here.

I think the difference is that Sam & Max don't have the same long history with item combination puzzles as other adventure franchises do. There had only been one Sam & Max game before Telltale came along, whereas every single Monkey Island prior to ToMI had item combining. And now after two seasons (and soon enough, three) without item combination, it doesn't necessarily seem like an essential element of what makes Sam & Max games what they are anymore.

• I've just read the whole thing, some very interesting stuff here :D Man, if feels good to have the dog and rabbit back!

• @Astro Gnocci said: I don't really get it. I never associated inventory combination with Monkey Island any more than with any other of the old lucasart games. Seems to me it's just part of adventure gaming as a whole, not of any specific game or franchise.

That's exactly how I feel. Items combinations seems as much part of adventure games as using items in the first place. I never felt it was specific to Monkey Island any more than "you have to solve puzzles" is specific to Monkey Island.

This being said I didn't like the way combining items worked in Tales so I'm not going to miss that.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Ah, yes. Same here. I already gave my whole speech why I prefer list over a pointers.
    Good example of this is Fahrenheit, where when I was playing English I never talked like I would have wanted, while I did when playing German, because I had no idea what convo option I picked because I can barely read German :p.

So the question is... why did you guys vote for using this conversation system instead. What are the pro's that made you pick it over the con's?

I believe the reasoning behind it was that they wanted the jokes to be more of a surprise, rather than just reading the joke in advance and waiting for Sam to say it.

• @Pale Man said: I believe the reasoning behind it was that they wanted the jokes to be more of a surprise, rather than just reading the joke in advance and waiting for Sam to say it.

This is a good explanation, though Sam never precisely says what's in the text you click.

• Can we hope for more constant subtitling? For instance, in Season I the songs were not subtitled. In Season 2, Episode I the subtitles for some dialogue were absent at the end after the fadeout, and also at the setup wizard with the COPS.
    It'd be more user-friendly for non-English-native players. :)

Add Comment