User Avatar Image

I always thought this would be interesting: Revenge plot point, Spoilers

posted by metroidreborn on - last edited - Viewed by 494 users

Okay, please forgive me for this, but I always thought this would be an interesting theory if it was true.

In Revenge, LeChuck claims that him and Guybrush are brothers and this is supported by the fact that the head of Guybrush's father seems to work as an ingredient for the voodoo doll. Now, Ron gave an interesting comment on this whole situation once. He said "they are brothers, but they also aren't". This gave me the idea that Guybrush and LeChuck are half-brothers. I could picture LeChuck's father being a cheating alcohlic and left his wife and went with a woman and coneived Guybrush. They soon left him though and LeChuck tracked the pair down and gruesomly murdered them in revenge.

That would explain why the father's skelton worked on LeChuck and also makes Ron's answer make quite a bit of sense. I don't know, I always thought that them being brothers was a little too much, but half brothers could put a different spin on it. Since Revenge, that whole brother concept was never mentioned again and was neither confirmed nor denyed in the games.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Not that again...

You hate CMI and EMI. We know that already. You've made it abundantly clear that the classic MI2 is your favorite game. I'm not going to lay my face to the ground and say "Ron Gilbert is God" though. Especially not when I think the end of MI2 was lame. So if I think that the whole "brothers" thing is just a Star Wars reference, I'm justified in agreeing with the later games that ignore it.

• @Chyron8472 said: Not that again...

You hate CMI and EMI. We know that already. You've made it abundantly clear that the classic MI2 is your favorite game. I'm not going to lay my face to the ground and say "Ron Gilbert is God" though. Especially not when I think the end of MI2 was lame. So if I think that the whole "brothers" thing is just a Star Wars reference, I'm justified in agreeing with the later games that ignore it.

Right. Like I don't like that Optimus Prime is a robot that transforms into a truck, so I am justified in agreeing with the Beast Wars series that ignores it. Or I don't like that Bobby died in Dallas, so I am justified in agreeing with the later seasons that said his death and the entire following season was a dream sequence. I don't like the idea that The Force is mystical rather than scientific, so I am justified in agreeing with the prequels that decides it's all about being a super race that has the right blood. I don't like that

• Eww. Don't bring up the Star Wars prequels. The only one near as good as the originals was Episode 3.

And I'm sure you make a valid point, but I still don't like the end of MI2.

EDIT: Hey, are you saying that you accept that the Giant Monkey Head is really a big robot and would like it if they continued with that story arc? I sure wouldn't.

• @Chyron8472 said: Eww. Don't bring up the Star Wars prequels. The only one near as good as the originals was Episode 3.

And I'm sure you make a valid point, but I still don't like the end of MI2.

I just think that not liking a plot point is not a good reason to enjoy revisionist history. I'm not at all attached to any pet theories about an "actual" conclusion. If it's magic, then I'd be fine with that. My problem comes in when it's magic because we want things back to normal, and to do so we say "magic" for some things and ignore others. I find it horribly annoying.

EDIT:

EDIT: Hey, are you saying that you accept that the Giant Monkey Head is really a big robot and would like it if they continued with that story arc? I sure wouldn't.

If you're continuing from the same timeline as Escape, then you'd have to. Sadly, Escape followed in Curse's footsteps when it comes to contradicting the past games and introducing gigantic plot holes.

Still, there's really no reason to overtly refer to the giant monkey in a game following Escape. Its story arc is over. There's no reason for it to show up anymore. We're done with Melee. If we weren't done with it, well, then maybe we'd have to see it again, yeah.

• @Chyron8472 said: Eww. Don't bring up the Star Wars prequels. The only one near as good as the originals was Episode 3.

wasnt you telling him off 4 keep saying he dont like mi games after orignals yet you can say smae about the star wars films that wernt orignal

• Well, I wouldn't say the story for the prequels is terrible. For me it really comes down to that Hayden (anakin) is a bad actor in Episode 2, and Jake (anakin) is a bad actor in episode 1. That and Jar Jar is too slapstick.

@Rather
    Look... all I'm saying is that I didn't like the end of MI2. I also didn't like the rest of EMI after you get to Monkey Island. For the series to turn around and either ignore or explain (say, with monkeylectrics) is fine by me, if it means that they can use that tactic to then recapture what I loved so much about the story in the first place.

• Seriously guys, just give it a rest. You have both stated your opinions and will most likley never convince the other to come around to your perspective. All you will do is annoy each other if you keep trying to discuss this.

• Yeah, well...

...How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

• Putting the whole 'it's my creepy brother Chuckie!' thing aside, maybe when LeChuck said they were brothers, it was metaphorical rather than literal. They both love Elaine, they both travelled to the (supposedly) mythical Monkey Island for her sake, they both have more to do with voodoo than they probably should. Or they're brothers in that they're both pawns in the Voodoo Lady's wide-reaching-if-extremely-vague-and-possibly-evil plans. Though it's debatable whether LeChuck was aware of those plans (if they even exist) in LCR, if he was then he might not have been so keen on ordering voodoo supplies from her.

• @Chyron8472 said: Yeah, well...

...How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Haha. I mean no offense, it's just that arguments like these happen a lot on this board and they just go on and on. The people involved usually never convince the other to see the topic from his or her point of view and they do not stop until someone from telltale tells them to.

Add Comment