User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • hello im wondering if its going to be open world and how sick is the humor im:confused:

• Not open world, no plans for an open world sam and max game as stated earlier.

It will likely be just as bad as the other 2 seasons, so hopefully nothing worse than "Would you like to rub my unicorn?"

• @Molokov said: The "Did You Try?" lists here just give some of the pointers to things that are funny in the games that aren't required to complete the puzzles, but they're worth doing for the humour value. They're not really 'achievements' as such, and don't change the outcome of the story, they're just cool little things the designers, writers etc put in the game to make it a richer world, funnier and worthwhile playing the games for a second or third time.

Yeah... I agree. But have you take a look at "achievements" for most games nowadays. Would easily fit in, not to mention I used the intentionally vague "pseudo-achievements". :p
    Reasoning behind it is if it's ingame, it would be a lot more 'open' to gamers, not all of them finding those lists and stuff on the site here. Get the broadest audience for the effort spend and such. Atleast, that's what I would think it's a good for. Get them to know they missed out on stuff and replay it once again. And then, maybe, purchase more games and stuff too if they notice the amount of detail that went into the game!
    And most games spoil parts by just telling clearly what to do for some achievements, even if they are spoilery in nature, so obviously they would be hidden for your first game, unlocked as you gain them, and unhidden after first completion, so you can nicely see how you did in thoroughness the first game and what you should look out for 2nd/3rd game.
    And yeah... I thought all that up just yesterday playing the first 2 episodes of Sam and Max and reading the lists of "did you try"...
    @Molokov said: The Adventure Company and Atari both passed on using Steve's box paintings for the retail versions, preferring upres'd, re-lit game art renders

• @Hassat Hunter said: ...

I had basically the same reaction. It's like what were they thinking!?

• Thank you guys for keeping up the responses long after my questions have stopped being interesting, truly. Speaking of which, I was a big fan of the old point and click mechanic of seasons one and two, any specific reason the old mouse driven control has been switched to a more keyboard driven approach for moving the character? Every now and then in TOMI, I'll find myself still clickin the edge of the screen.

• What are the odds of a Bosco spin off series? :p

Is Jurgen the cutest villian, if not, who is?

Also, how many doors will Agent Superball be guarding this time?

• I try not to spoil the board here (even though this is an exclusive Freelance Police Dispatch and I not know how to cover up spoilers but pretty much this board is like a spoiler in a way), but ask the strongest question that may relate to season 2 foreshadow events.

1. Sal was not real?! Why did Girl Stinky stated in the final episode saying who Sal when she kept calling his name. Is it some twisted plot twist that we not foresee that would disturb our mind (because when Sam talk to Girl Stinky about Sal and there that dramatic scene movement where something is stroke of mystery and creepy horror stuff do in a shadowy event) or just some joke there. One thing must be clear first, are both Stinky (or Stinkies) are major enemies that our Freelance duos must face?

2. Is it really Sam and Max future in Chariots of the Dogs where they finally put their career to rest? I don't believe much of it unless their something your not telling us and could relate to this season 3? After all, the animated series show one episode where Sam and Max got turned to old geezers after a failed attempt to work out the two Greek entities to work out which surprising work out in the end after giving Zeus the medusa ring and manage to escape from his rage after Max made an bad comment and turn to a Scottish golf statue. Matter of fact how did Sam got Max back to normal?

3. Is Satan involved with season 3 oh wait he spoiled it in the end of season 2.

4. Is it painful where Max put his stuff? ...............Wait why am I'm answering that question?

5. *Magical* (Hugh Bliss style and saying)

6. Will there be trophy for the PS3 version? And so, will our preorder can be pick from either side?

7.*staring around* ............................huh wait what?! I lost track there.

8. So how the graphic is revamp

9. Is the Desoto still possess? I am still trying to get rid of my phobia with it since my previous encounter with it. I still have the roach stain, snake goo, and burn rubber smell from the last time.

10. Is there the "Do you have any....." joke in season 3

11. Did the mechanical monkey from Sam and Max season 1 Machinima Short #3 - A Painstaking Search, have any involvement to season 3. I swear that monkey is puuuuureee eeeeeeevvillllllllll. I know as Bosco paranoid mind.

12 (and last). Can you ask Max to help promote Krispy Cream doughnut shop since there glaze doughnut is like tasting heaven in a good way. He is still president right?

• @Chuck said: Almost half the office plays Team Fortress 2, and that got my vote for game of the year whenever it came out (2 years ago? Longer?)

So my dream of Valve and Telltale collaborating on a TF2 series is more plausible than I expected? :O

• 13 PS. What will happen to Bluster Blaster? will he survive his death clock since with the experiment with SOL? I hope he pop out somewhere in the season since he's a funny arcade who make us laugh of danger................ That made no sense at all, but acceptable. And any cross over characters?

PS again: oh wait the DeSoto still possess huh? Well I guess I could get some fancy sports car from Germany so it will be distracted by it sexy look (it's a female right?).

• @ttg_Stemmle said: You know, if Sybil does return, it's all your fault now, right?

Anyone wanna dare us to bring back the Soda Poppers?

Mike "easily goaded into foolish actions" Stemmle

OMGOD! Now there's a chance Sybil will be 3rd season's main BAD GUY!?

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!

I'm so sorry everyone... T,T!

Add Comment