User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darth Sybil :)
    Will season4 show us how Max ended in Jedi Knight?

• @Jake said: We put some work into making sure you in particular wouldn't like those covers, so job well done on us I guess.

I have a suggestion for a cover that Rather Dashing would dislike. The retail releases of TMI should feature character art similar to Curse of Monkey Island with a little button you can push on the front that will feature a sales pitch from Stan, as voiced by Patrick Pinney. Also, a big cartoony version of LeChuck smiling and hugging a teddy bear.

I believe this to be the perfect formula to cause Rather Dashing to dislike the TMI cover the most of all.

• @Pale Man said: Also, a big cartoony version of LeChuck smiling and hugging a teddy bear while slipping on a banana peel.

Here, I improved it.

• @Sciz said: So my dream of Valve and Telltale collaborating on a TF2 series is more plausible than I expected? :O

Use heavy with sammich

Use spy with scouts mother.

• @Jake said: We put some work into making sure you in particular wouldn't like those covers, so job well done on us I guess.

Ouch.

• The lip sync is all auto-generated.

Some more of the technical stuff that fascinates me:

So you're saying that the lip sync is auto generated depending on the voices, thus playing a game in a localized version would cause the animation to change?
    How are the changes in emotions of characters controlled in the middle of a line?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

1.) I loved the music in previous seasons. Come "Tales of Monkey Island", I was disappointed that MZL's music bits were so incredibly short, while JEJ could create such wonderful, lengthy cues even exceeding five minutes. Will we get such long pieces again? Hopefully, it's all-new and none of the older pieces, although awesome, will be reused!

2.) The new inventory looks very fancy - it also looks as if not much stuff fits in. That's OK, I gather the puzzles center more on psychic powers, nonetheless: What's the maximum inventory items on one page?

3.) Is Majus somehow involved in the design of this game? If yes, what should I look for in the final episodes? How can the "I wonder what happens"-series continue if Majus has so much insight into the games?

...oh, and I for one would really WANT Sybil to return. Liked her!! :D

• Aiyee. Why bring back someone if they're not necessary to what you're doing?

I'm personally a little more excited about meeting new characters. Crazy Sam and Max could be as big and diverse and cool as The Simpsons, if they wanted to be - except without the second half of The Simpsons, which sucked like a hungry calf at his momma cow's belly.

• @Sciz said: So my dream of Valve and Telltale collaborating on a TF2 series is more plausible than I expected? :O

That is INCREDIBLE. Best idea I've heard in a long time.

That said, are you guys interested in any new properties to work with?

Like TF2...

Add Comment