User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Will said: We certainly aren't about to send any unbleeped swears off to the ESRB. They don't take too kindly to that sort of shenanigans.

Too bad these can't be included as bloopers in the upcoming DVD version that Telltale sends out to the pre-orders.

• User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@Kroms said: Hmmm...I keep wanting to ask things about the writing, as I feel that Telltale's packed with great writers, and they're never asked about it.

Okay, uh,...howww do you make sure something is funny or not?

Do youuu ever write backstories for your characters?

Yeah, I suck at asking questions. It's worth noting that those question marks at the end are related to whether or not this is a decent question, and not for grammatical purposes.

Those aren't bad questions in the slightest.

There's no way to be absolutely sure that something's funny*. But in our experience, if 3 out of 4 guys in the office think something's funny, a lot of other people will probably think it's funny. Also, when in doubt, I check with the wife - if I can't get at least a wry smile out of her, the joke's probably doomed.

Now that we're doing more and more season-long arcs, we'll probably be getting in the habit of writing quick-n-dirty backstories for our original characters. I cobbled together one for De Singe in Tales, some of which crept its way into the game. With the Sam and Max characters, they haven't needed as much backstory... yet.

Mike "If it bends, it's funny... if it breaks, it's hilarious" Stemmle

* Unless it's a baby in sunglasses... that's always funny.

• Are there any hysterical moments that you thought were funny, but when you were writing an episode and ended up cutting it?

• Well another stupid writing question :

How would you (no one in particular) define the characters of sam and max ?

I don't think it could get more basic, but who knows, the answer(s) might be interesting;)

• Where do I go to get my own pet Mike Stemmle? Do they come off a factory line, or do I have to pay extra to get one hand-made?

(nb, am somewhat intoxicated at time of writing)

• I just wanna ask

Is there any possibility of a Telltale-made HD Remix/Remake of Hit The Road ala Monkey Island Special Edition? Or would that be more for Lucasarts?

• @Joop said: I bought Beyond Good and Evil on Gamecube, there was no English version.

Really? The PC versions got almost all languages known to Europe free to pick.
    Obviously, I went with English.
    As for actual swears, it depends on the voice actor. Usually they are just written into the dialog as "*censored*" and the actors have to infer the meaning. William Casten used to have fun with that, particularly when the word "soda" was bleeped out at the end of 205. I've never heard David Nowlin swear on the other hand. There was a particularly memorable sequence where his pre-bleeped swears were "button" and "donut button."
    Replaying 102, I now wonder what was under the bleeps at the interview. Myra: "You want to *bleep* your brother?"

*Can't think up new questions at the moment*

• @Will said: Joey Camen however created streams of profanity so foul that the unbleeped version never even left the recording studio for fear that someone would get their hands on them.

Which makes me so jelous of Jared and his team, because they know what Tiny Timmy Two-Teeth was really saying in the Christmas episode.

• What I want to ask is a "variation" of one of the FAQs.

We know this third series is a good place to start as your first Sam & Max game, but what if you don't know the characters? meaning you never read a comic, etc?
    Because this will be my first Sam & Max game, but not only that: it's also my first Sam & Max "media" :)
    Am i good to go? is it noob-friendly?

• Will there be cliffhangers at the end of some of the episodes? Please say yes.

Add Comment