User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well the penal zone one say How To Use You Samandmax 301 whatever it was, so somewhat I 'd bet

• @World93 said: Just out of curiosity, on all the cover screens show a "based on..." gag, who comes up with those and do they actually have any connection to the story of that episode at all?

It's a running joke from the Comics, in fact.

• I knew that they came from the comics. I was just wondering if they had anything to do in fact I was wondering if they were part of a inside joke in the story when they chose them.
    Thanks though

• Here's a question for the devs:
    I live in England, can I have a job as a tester please? :)

• whos your fav orignal charecter you created in the sam and max series

• @zmally said: Here's a question for the devs:
    I live in England, can I have a job as a tester please? :)

We do all of our testing in-house. It works much MUCH better than having external testing. There really is nothing like being able to walk over to a designer or programmer and hash out an issue on the spot.

But on the off-off-chance that we open up Telltale-London, we will be sure to let you know!

• I have several questions, some related and some unrelated...

What's your opinion of the method of joke telling that Family Guy often uses - where many of the jokes are flashbacks or snippets of other events?

For many Sam & Max episodes, there are only 2 locations overall (e.g. Straight & Narrow, and White House in "Abe Lincoln Must Die") Could you tell us what the average amount of locations will be per episode in Season 3?

Any chance of there being any sort of Easter Eggs in the game, such as the 100 000 grubs in "Lair of the Leviathan"?

Am I one of the poster winners?

When will Chapter 2 be released? (I kid, I kid)

• [quote]Everybody's got his own take on it, and you know that kind of thing's one of BioWare's main selling points. But my own take is that I hate any kind of "branching" content at all, whether it's as big as an alternate ending or as seemingly small as using one item instead of another to solve the same puzzle. Some of that's practical: I don't like the idea of making content that half of your players aren't going to see; I'd rather have the team spending their time on stuff that's guaranteed to be in the game.

Even if you had infinite time and money, though, I still wouldn't like branching paths or alternate solutions. (Unless you're story's specifically about branching paths or alternate realities). The reason is that it seems like "fake" interactivity -- it's letting players do a bunch of different things instead of the one most interesting thing. I think that your goal when designing an adventure game shouldn't be to come up with whatever solution works, but the best, most interesting, most clever, or funniest solution to a situation. There's usually a moment in the design meetings when somebody suggests a situation and you think "Yes! Brilliant, that's it exactly." I think the goal of a game designer should be to get the player to that moment, instead of presenting you with a situation where there are three things that work equally well. It's all about guiding the player to make the most interesting moment happen.[/quote]

This is a fantastic quote for all those people who feel like a lot of games are focusing too much on "choice" can I post it on another forum?

In the same vein of that question, are you guys alright with us taking quotes from this thread?

• You should open a TellTale Cardiff to hire some aliens as testers to raise your chance on the intergalactic market.

• @Chuck said:
    Also, if you're short on time, a useful trick is to take something that's not funny and then write the opposite of it. THe entire script of 301, for example, is the opposite of Precious Based on the Novel Push By Sapphire.

I am beginning to hate Bill Corbett (only not really).

Add Comment