User Avatar Image

Family Guy or The Simpsons?

posted by prizna on - last edited - Viewed by 386 users

Which show do you prefer?

58 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Family Guy, though given that I haven't really watched the Simpsons in ages, I'm somewhat biased. i caught a recent episode and it struck me just how similar to Family Guy it was (without the random flashbacks, of course), so I may give it another chance, but that's a theory, nothing more.

• Love both! But my vote goes to The Simpsons because, while I like the comedy side of both shows, there are other things I enjoy The Simpsons for too. So taking all things into consideration it gets my vote.

I remember being one of the very few people in my college class who actually liked the random flashbacks in Family Guy, though. I think those are the best parts!

• @GuruGuru214 said: But anyway, I was never allowed to watch the Simpsons when I was little because my mom hates it.

I don't think my mom cared for Beavis and Butthead. Not that I did either, but my dad would watch it. He also thought Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.

• Simpsons. Whilst i find the odd family guy episode mildly amusing, i begin to get annoyed with the constant flashbacks.

Whilst Simpsons is nowhere near as good as it used to be, it still has hundreds of fantastic episodes to watch, so takes the biscuit for me.

• @Thriftweed Fancy Pants said: I don't think my mom cared for Beavis and Butthead. Not that I did either, but my dad would watch it. He also thought Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.

Yeah, I wasn't allowed to watch either of those either. I also wasn't allowed to watch Rugrats, and I can't remember if I wasn't allowed to watch Rocko's Modern Life or if I just didn't want to.

• @Thriftweed Fancy Pants said: I don't think my mom cared for Beavis and Butthead. Not that I did either, but my dad would watch it. He also thought Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.

Oh, I liked watching Ren and Stimpy when I was a kid, but my mum didn't like me watching it. So I only got away with it when my dad was already watching it. XD

I've always been allowed to watch The Simpsons. I remember when I was very young it was on Sunday evenings on Sky (in the UK), and we always watched it. Mind you, when I was 3 years old any "adult content" went over my head anyway.

• @Rather Dashing said: Simpsons had a huge drop in quality awhile back, but I've been watching it again recently. It has become a lot better since my absence, it seems.

Really? I may have to start watching it again then. Because I had turned my back on the new Simpsons episodes because they, well, just haven't been the same, they had almost lost the magic that the classic episodes had (e.g. "Lemon of Troy", "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment", "Lisa on Ice", etc.). I mean, I never hated the new episodes, but I just couldn't watch something that had lost it's heart and forgotten what it was about in the first place. But, if the show has lifted since that dark period of Season 16 - 20, then I may have to pick up where I left off, with my obsession wit the great show.

• Family Guy's problem is that it only gets laughs from being shocking, and when something's trying to offend you all the time, it stops being shocking very quickly and just reeks of effort. The Simpsons (which has been getting better of late) has these characters with depth that you care about, pretty much every Family Guy character is a horrible piece of work (I particularly dislike Brian as well, he brings new meaning to the phrase "liberal douche")

I think Family Guy was a great novelty at first, but it's just a very mean-spirited show...I like the Cleveland Show strangely...probably because of the kickass theme tune

• Family Guy before it got cancelled the first time was amazing. Some of the more recent Series' (Season Five (or what the UK calls season 5) I'm looking at you specifically here) had too many flashbacks and random scenes and blatant advertising.

It's got good again recently though what with the Star Wars Parody ep and the Bird is the Word ep.

However, I'd probably say right now that of McFarlane's stuff I prefer American Dad anyway. :o I can't really comment on the Cleveland show right now as I've only seen two episodes.

As to the poll: Family Guy, easily. I'm not a Simpsons person, I'm a Futurama person. (Though the Simpsons movie wasn't bad).

Edit: BTW surely the Family Guy of the simpsons is Homer? ;) (In other words: Check the thread title!)

Add Comment