User Avatar Image

iPad: Your thoughts?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 545 users

I know it's not out yet, but family was having a discussion about it last week.

From what I've read, the starting price for the iPad is [edit]$500, which doesn't include 3G cell capability. For that, it costs $150 more ($650 total,)[/edit] for the device and $15/month for service. You don't use the 3G for a phone, but rather for access to the net.

First, let me comment about how people are talking about the iPad vs. Kindle. My wife and I have a Kindle, and let me tell you that it's much more like reading a book than staring at a computer. That means that you can read for hours and not get eyestrain. With that in mind, I think the iPad would be a bad ebook reader because staring at your iPhone/iPod Touch for hours would give you a headache, I would think. Not to mention the Kindle's battery life lasts for days and weeks, not hours.

Second, it's no more than a giant iPod Touch with 3G access. That's all. It's like a tablet PC with the iPhone OS. Why would any current iPhone/iPod user buy one?

...My Dad says that he thinks it's going to be a big flop. What do you all think?

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's like a primitive version of a product that will one day actually be worth owning.

• *obligatory female hygiene product joke*

That being said, I'm not a big fan of having something that is meant to resemble a tablet computer, but isn't able to do multitasking. Apart from that the missing flash thing kind of scares me off. I don't care if its the worst that ever happened to the internet. It is part of the internet.
    Last but not least if the iPad works like the iPod Touch or the iPhone you have to synch your Apps through iTunes, which also means that Apple will have, once again, complete control over what they want on their gadget and what not.

Time and dropping prices will tell if its awesome or not I guess.

• My thoughts on not having flash:
    1) Flash on an apple device has always sucked, adobe needs to get a decent unix team together before they expect to be developing for portable apple computers.
    2) Most people only ever use flash for youtube, and
    3) all the good flash games are Apps anyway.

• @natlinxz said: My thoughts on not having flash:
    1) Flash on an apple device has always sucked, adobe needs to get a decent unix team together before they expect to be developing for portable apple computers.
    2) Most people only ever use flash for youtube, and
    3) all the good flash games are Apps anyway.

I will be a happy human being once laypeople understand that flash is capable of so much more than showing video on websites or small minigames.

• @Katsuro said: I will be a happy human being once laypeople understand that flash is capable of so much more than showing video on websites or small minigames.

I will be a happy human being once 80% of the stuff commonly built in flash is moved over to html 5!

• @Jake said: I will be a happy human being once 80% of the stuff commonly built in flash is moved over to html 5!

Since I have no idea what I talk about, I quote something of the internet which I heard from a few people.
    Sure, it could be them being butthurt that S.J. trashtalks "their" thing, but on the other side it could hold a grain of truth as well.

When Steve J. made the comments about HTML5 being the future, he didn't bother to explain that this statement really refers to the most widespread use of Flash today, that being Video. Perhaps he didn't explain this purposely, so that many misinformed end users who want to watch Hulu on their iPhones would unleash their rage against Flash. Which is exactly what has been happening..It is annoying and I lost respect for Steve.

The HTML5 stack (html, css and JS) will NOT be a direct replacement for Flash. I have been developing Flash content for over 10 years, I am also very competent in JS. I cringe thinking about using JS for tasks where ActionScript can accomplish the same thing in 50% less code. There are tasks that will be very difficult if not impossible to achieve with JS and CSS. For rudimentary animations and JQuery-like functionality, sure, HTML5 can be a viable option instead Flash. But for complex games and RIAs, I just don't see it. Actionscript has evolved into a robust, full featured language.

The other important thing is that the Flash player is updated by Adobe periodically to address any issues that may arise. How will they update/improve HTML5 spec if it becomes the norm and Flash went bye-bye?? They won't. You have to wait for HTML6 and all the browsers to support it. Which means you end up waiting 5-10 years. Great way to bring us back to 1998. No thanks, I'll stick with Flash for now.

As much as open standards are a worthy goal, I don't see this panning out the way they are saying...

• About flash: Once I did a Webpage for my University, with the help of a desingner which was pretty good at his things in flash. He made a couple of pretty neat effect with it, while I tried to keep the rest of the updatable parts with php and some JS Scripts I downloaded somewhere else.

What's happened? For some reason some people, apparently from their computers at work, cannot enter to the page because they can't install flash in their computers (Mostly because the politics at work don't allow them) and I had to change all the neat effects with some Javascripts I found and some imitiation with CSS.

And that's why I mostly avoid use Flash in some webpages right now: It's reducing the ammount of people who can watch the site, and, considering that page was been using as well to promote the initiative to possible Sponsors, that become critical. It's true you can do a ton of neat stuff with flash, but, in some cases like this one, is just bothersome. (And they don't have to install the javascript console, it's comes with the browser!)

• I'm more than aware that there are a ton of things which Flash does as a platform that HTML 5 does not / can not do. There is plenty, however, that can be done with an HTML/js framework which is done in Flash out of habit. I don't like that Flash is closed and based on 3rd party commercial plugin support. I don't particularly like that Apple is deciding to not support it, but I like that less than the fact that before Apple gets to make that choice, Adobe has to decide to support the platform in the first place. With HTML that isn't an issue. Things like this, including all animation and artwork, are being built in what is straight up standards HTML or with elements which are on their way to being ratified as standards. I much prefer that future, where a web of that level of visual intricacy, can be viewed by anyone who writes a standards-compliant viewer, and not by a private company.

You can't do very complicated games in HTML right now, but people are doing things very reminiscent of early Flash games using HTML 5. I don't expect HTML to fully replace Flash, but I do expect Flash's prominence on the web to lessen significantly, and for it to take up a sort of hybridized place between the web and desktop apps (which seems to be where Adobe is trying to take it as well, with things like Adobe Air).

• HTML5 is great and all, but Flash is a practical reality of a large portion of the web now, and when buying a product I like to think of how it will benefit me now, not only on some hypothetical(probable or otherwise) future that may or may not come within the lifetime of the device. Yes, you have to consider the future within the life of the device when buying a new product. But banking on "It will become a good product later or "It will be more capable later when the world adapts to it(however indirectly)" seems foolish.

Some of the ideas of the iPad are neat, but the implentation leaves a lot to be desired, I think. I want multitasking, I want a(relatively) open platform, and I want the internet to "just work", without relying on the web to change for my sake.

• Every time I see an iPad thread on this forum, I'm excited that we might discuss Telltale games running on it. Playing Monkey Island on the iPhone is reasonably fun, but the extra screen real estate of an iPad would seem to be ideal for Telltale games.

I, for one, would love to play Sam & Max on a tablet like the iPad. And with Telltale's recent wholehearted support for the Mac, surely iPad versions of Telltale games must be a realistic possibility when the iPad user base picks up?

Add Comment