User Avatar Image

Boobs: an artistic discussion

posted by Jen Kollic on - last edited - Viewed by 14.1K users

@Secret Fawful said: I decided to do some Morgan fanart, since I've barely contributed to this topic at all. And I used the opportunity to try a bit of a new style.

Sketch to Finished Product-

ws63c0.jpg

That looks great! I love Winslow's expression.

And I also agree that Thriller Guybrush needs to be an official smiley.

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think they are cool man

• @Secret Fawful said: fbaz2u.jpg

You know, if you'd have asked me who drew this I'd have sworn it was a certain Phillip M Jackson (compare to this, for instance... ;))

np: Autechre - Perlence (Quaristice)

• Very nice drawing of Elaine. (Why do you sketches say "Mac"?)

@Secret Fawful said: I think the harder thing about drawing breasts is the weight. Trying to remember that large breasts are held down by weight and that small ones aren't is hard to portray on paper, and I have a much harder time with that.

I think you're doing fine. Some people draw them much too round or pointing in front of them or something and it can look pretty weird. While you remember that the nipple is lower than the middle and to the outside, not to the front, so they do look rather natural, if pretty big.
    For Elaine, the only thing I'd add is to remember the skin of the breast goes under the arm. what I mean is, on her right breast (right for us), the line almost goes up to where her arm starts, I think it would look more natural for it to be lower than that, or point towards her back a bit rather than towards her neck.

Here, to show you what I mean:
    eiulgk.jpg34dlzm8.jpg

Other than that, and that's going to sound bad, just remember breasts are sacks of fat. Think water balloon. It's filled with liquid, pretty much (behaves like it at least). So when the breasts are a smaller size, movement is limited because there isn't much skin, it's tightly contained if you will. When they get bigger, though, they have more room for movement so they're going to behave more liquidy.
    For instance, if a woman is on her back, her breasts will spread and flatten. So less breast on top of the torso (and more importantly not seeming to point up in any way, unless you're drying to draw fake breasts such as implants), more on the sides (but remember the clothes will limit movement too.) If the breasts are rather small they might just seem to vanish, if they're huge they'll pretty much go completely to the sides.
    When standing, it's kind of the same principle starting at a certain size. They're going to be weighed down as you said (more or less depending on their clothes, think sports bra vs no bra for instance) but they'll also tend to go to the sides, away from each other (there again, more or less depending on the clothes).

But you probably know all of that already >.>

In the Elaine drawing, apart from the earlier modification I mentioned, I would probably draw the left (our left) nipple a bit lower (not by a lot).

@Secret Fawful said: However, I think I gave her a bit TOO MUCH sway, and as I look at it, and even tried to walk that way myself to test it, if she walked with her hip extended that far compared to the swing of her arms, she would instantly fall over. Because I instantly fell over.

That's possible, although remember she's a woman and you're not. Because of wider hips, the center of gravity is placed differently: men having narrower hips, their feet are closer together, are the closer the feet, the less balance you get (try swaying with your feet glued together, you'll see :P). So women can sway more than men without falling (women with broad hips at least).

I notice that in the two drawings you posted, there are 4 people altogether and only one visible hand. Now, hands are tricky but if you never draw them it can look like you're avoiding that on purpose, making sure they're right out of the drawing and such (which might be what you're doing).
    Plus, they can be really useful. Think hand on hips, crossed arms, scratching a head, etc. Not showing hands limits what the character can do since it also limits their arm movements.

• @Leak said: You know, if you'd have asked me who drew this I'd have sworn it was a certain Phillip M Jackson (compare to this, for instance... ;))

np: Autechre - Perlence (Quaristice)

Good thing I'm not the only one who spotted that.

That style reminds me of Jollyjack too much, it's uncanny.

• @avistew said: Very nice drawing of Elaine. (Why do you sketches say "Mac"?)

I think you're doing fine. Some people draw them much too round or pointing in front of them or something and it can look pretty weird. While you remember that the nipple is lower than the middle and to the outside, not to the front, so they do look rather natural, if pretty big.
    For Elaine, the only thing I'd add is to remember the skin of the breast goes under the arm. what I mean is, on her right breast (right for us), the line almost goes up to where her arm starts, I think it would look more natural for it to be lower than that, or point towards her back a bit rather than towards her neck.

eiulgk.jpg34dlzm8.jpg

Other than that, and that's going to sound bad, just remember breasts are sacks of fat. Think water balloon. It's filled with liquid, pretty much (behaves like it at least). So when the breasts are a smaller size, movement is limited because there isn't much skin, it's tightly contained if you will. When they get bigger, though, they have more room for movement so they're going to behave more liquidy.
    For instance, if a woman is on her back, her breasts will spread and flatten. So less breast on top of the torso (and more importantly not seeming to point up in any way, unless you're drying to draw fake breasts such as implants), more on the sides (but remember the clothes will limit movement too.) If the breasts are rather small they might just seem to vanish, if they're huge they'll pretty much go completely to the sides.
    When standing, it's kind of the same principle starting at a certain size. They're going to be weighed down as you said (more or less depending on their clothes, think sports bra vs no bra for instance) but they'll also tend to go to the sides, away from each other (there again, more or less depending on the clothes).

In the Elaine drawing, apart from the earlier modification I mentioned, I would probably draw the left (our left) nipple a bit lower (not by a lot).

That's possible, although remember she's a woman and you're not. Because of wider hips, the center of gravity is placed differently: men having narrower hips, their feet are closer together, are the closer the feet, the less balance you get (try swaying with your feet glued together, you'll see :P). So women can sway more than men without falling (women with broad hips at least).

I notice that in the two drawings you posted, there are 4 people altogether and only one visible hand. Now, hands are tricky but if you never draw them it can look like you're avoiding that on purpose, making sure they're right out of the drawing and such (which might be what you're doing).
    Plus, they can be really useful. Think hand on hips, crossed arms, scratching a head, etc. Not showing hands limits what the character can do since it also limits their arm movements.

Wow, this is the second best breast description I've ever read.
    You seem to know quite a bit about them.
    And good of you to notice the hand thing.
    Hands are tough, but if they work, they pay... (What a strange sentence.)

• @avistew said: Very nice drawing of Elaine. (Why do you sketches say "Mac"?)

My name. Micheal Allan Cross. The initials spell Mac. I was going to put "Drawn by Secret Fawful" again, but it didn't watermark the images well enough to suit me, so I used my initials instead.

eiulgk.jpg34dlzm8.jpg

I didn't actually. I've always just drawn breasts how I see them in real life or how I've seen them drawn, I've never known WHY they do what they do. I know some basic principles like weight, but only BASIC principles. Thanks! I agree, you know quite a lot.

Okay.

Oh, but doesn't it hurt to walk with THAT much sway?

I wasn't avoiding them, I can post a drawing where I've drawn hands if you like.

@avistew said: Good thing I'm not the only one who spotted that.

That style reminds me of Jollyjack too much, it's uncanny.

Good eye. I draw a lot of inspiration from Jollyjack, but I'm not NEARLY as good as he is nor is my style so clean. We tend to draw women in a very similar way, though. Also, while I might draw well-endowed women, if I drew women nearly as well-endowed as he does (Example) I would probably have a long lynch mob at my door. :D Another difference between me and him; I don't draw nudes or erotic art. Another artist I tend to draw a lot of inspiration from is Bruce Timm(I have always tended to look at how he draws women then draw them similarly but more well endowed), as well as Utility Pole Spirit, Edward Gorey, the art style in the comic strip Blondie, Herge, Antonio Prohias, Brett Helquist, Steve Purcell, Bill Tiller, and various anime and manga artists.

About 70% of the artists listed affect how I draw male characters, and about 30% of them affect how I draw female characters. Basically, if I don't study great styles, I'll never improve my own.

@avistew said: I think they are cool man

Thanks!

• @Secret Fawful said: Oh, but doesn't it hurt to walk with THAT much sway?

Mh, it's probably not very comfortable. I can't say I've tried :p

@Secret Fawful said: I wasn't avoiding them, I can post a drawing where I've drawn hands if you like.

My point was more that
    a) it makes it look like you're avoiding to draw them (probably because a lot of people do)
    b) hands can be pretty expressive so it feels (to me) like a shame to have them off-screen.

I don't need proof of anything, but you're welcome to post more drawings of course.

• I hate drawing hands..... I also hate drawing animals.. just saying

• @avistew said:
    My point was more that
    a) it makes it look like you're avoiding to draw them (probably because a lot of people do)
    b) hands can be pretty expressive so it feels (to me) like a shame to have them off-screen.

I don't need proof of anything, but you're welcome to post more drawings of course.

I dunno, I get too much great critique here so far, and hardly anywhere else will people stop and analyze art like that where I've been, so I'll be hard-pressed not to post more. In a way, the fact that everyone is pointing things out like this is a sign that I'm doing great. :D

EDIT: @Irishmile: I love drawing animals. In fact I draw more anthropomorphic characters than human, and the first things I drew were animals.

• I'm just happy because if there is one thing I never thought I'd see discussed here, it's the physics of Boobs! :p

This discussion has been closed.