User Avatar Image

Episode 5 minimizes on startup

posted by Haggis on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Ah, seems I might be able to pass my exam after all, because for me, episode 5 is unplayable at present - just after firing up, it minimizes itself. When I bring it back up, same thing, after a second it minimizes again. Is this due to downloading the 'early version', or is it a weird bug that only I am experiencing?

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @shole said: i ran the game in the window as it started, made the game resolution match my desktop (1600x1200) and hit alt+enter to bring it fullscreen

How did you get the game resolution to 1600x1200? It won't go over 1280x960 for me. (Or maybe the fact my monitor is limited to this resolution is the reason the game won't display it.) It's a shame tha 1280x1024 isn't supported since most 17-19" LCD displays are limited to that resolution.

• @Emily said: It is? A couple of people reported a problem with the game minimizing when it was first launched -- before it even activated (or that's what I thought) -- and I was led to believe it was a problem with the activation system. I did pursue it with the folks who make the activation system but we never reached a resolution. Maybe I misunderstood the problem? My apologies if that was the case. :(

I reported the problem back when episode 2 got out, the game minimizing after the Gametap and Telltale logos where shown. Someone pointed me toward changing the in-game resolution to macth my desktop before going to fullscreen (don't remember who it was but I believe it was someone from Telltale staff) and it solved the problem at the time. I have been using that same trick for every release ever since, until I changed my desktop resolution to one that is unsupported by the game.

The resolution of the game has to match my desktop resolution otherwise it won't play fullscreen and just minize to the taskbar.

• Hi, just to give you more information, I have not quite the same problem! I can get the game started and going, it just seems to minimize after a few minutes, but not right at the start. I can wander around the office room for a bit and then it'll happen. It also will happen if I try to Alt-Tab out of the game.

At first, I thought it was because I was using the "unreleased" 101.70 NVIDIA Vista 64bit drivers, but I see people with ATI cards have this problem also. I'll try running it in windowed mode to see if it helps.

Edit: Yeah, if I can hit Alt-Enter before the game minimizes itself again, it'll play in a window.

• [quote]It won't go over 1280x960 for me. (Or maybe the fact my monitor is limited to this resolution is the reason the game won't display it.) [/quote]

Yup, that's why.

[quote]It's a shame tha 1280x1024 isn't supported since most 17-19" LCD displays are limited to that resolution.[/quote]

1280x1024 is not the same aspect ratio as 800x600, 1024x768, etc. so it's not as simple as just scaling up to 1280x1024. (Same logic applies to widescreen resolutions.) It's something the tech guys are looking at right now. I use 1280x1024 natively on my machine at work and would love to play the games in that resolution.

[quote]I reported the problem back when episode 2 got out, the game minimizing after the Gametap and Telltale logos where shown. Someone pointed me toward changing the in-game resolution to macth my desktop before going to fullscreen (don't remember who it was but I believe it was someone from Telltale staff) and it solved the problem at the time. I have been using that same trick for every release ever since, until I changed my desktop resolution to one that is unsupported by the game.[/quote]

Doesn't sound like a suggestion that I would have made, but it's a good tip!

To anyone who reported this previously, I apologize -- as it was described, I had it in my head that the game was minimizing immediately upon startup, which would indicate a problem with the activation software, not the game itself.

• Some random thought. I might be wrong, but I had the same problem and something very different fixed it:

Disable folding@home while playing.

I noticed that a few of the complaints are from some of the guys contributing to folding@home. I had the same problem with a few other games as well. Disabling folding@home before playing and starting it agian afterwards usually did the trick.

Hope it helps!

• @fhqwhgads said: Disable folding@home while playing.

Wow! Guess what, it worked. I can finally play the game fullscreen on my new monitor. Weird though that only episode 1 is unnafected. At least now that we know f@h is the culprit, maybe Telltale will be able to investigate the issue and provide us with a patch. (Also supporting 1280x1024... ;) )

• Must be intermittent too because I haven't had problems with F@H affecting the game (the one time I did see the problem, it was disabling my second monitor that fixed it)

• Its strange really, some reflexive games and some of my EA games gave the same problem, minimizing constantly on startup, and again after maximizing.

Another 'weird' thing. Sometimes after disabling F@H, one of the affected games would still minimize once (sometimes not even at the start), but after maximization it would stay maximized. Weird.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

Folding@Home was doing that (minimizing) to me too (with Sam & Max and Broken Sword 4). I also found my computer just stopping (while playing a game or surfing the net) when I was running F@H in the background so I have taken to disabling it if I'm active on the computer but letting it run overnight. :)

Doug, I haven't been brave enough to open up the laptop to see if there's any dust collected that may be contributing to my computer stoppage problems - I'm chicken! :p

• Yepp, same problem here, had to close Folding :)

Add Comment