User Avatar Image

Q&A with Jared Emerson-Johnson, Friday!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

Hear ye hear ye, Jared is coming to the forums to answer some of your music and sound related questions! Pop in to hear the answers on Friday the 2nd from 10am to 11am PST (he chose this specifically so Europeans can be awake for it, what a guy!)

Let me tell you- Jared is a superhero. He sets the tone of the world with ease, he knocks out sound effects with a single blow, he makes what we do sound AMAZING. It's a fact that Telltale sometimes hires super-human automatons, and investigations as to Jared's actual humanity are pending. Some people are just too talented.

(Fun fact: he's also super-skilled at Beatles Rock Band.)

We're open for questioning, so load 'em up and keep him busy.

182 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi Jared!

Just one or two questions that might actually be out of your field but I thought I'd ask.

1. Do you deal with any of the technical side of integrating the music and sound effects into the game or just the creation of the music and sounds?

2. I assume the telltale engine take a "pre-rendered" approach to sound, meaning that you record what is going to be used and then wait for events to trigger that sound effect. Have you ever heard of or worked with the idea of generative music and sounds, where the game itself generates the music or sound effects based upon what is happening in the game or other input/output (probably from samples of music or algorithms)?

• Jake stole my questions. But yeah, listening to the commentary of season 2, will Bluster Blaster return or was that deemed too demanding for your health (or, he returns just less shouty).

Favorite song is "New location unlocked", gotta love that song. I know it's a remixed Midtown Cowboy's song, but after 100 times, I still can't hear that though... also really love the small bleeping song of 105 and 105. Should have used that one for the puzzle of 205 devs instead of the mimesweeper song! :D

Anyway, questions not dealing with TTG even. I saw a certain "Jarad Emerson-Johnson" worked on KOTOR2 cinematic cutscene movies. I assume that's just a typo'ed you though. Made any new songs there too, if so, which?

Back to the TTG territory... What's the song of season 3 that you most like and we definitely should keep on the wait for?

• @nikasaur said: Let me tell you- Jared is a superhero.

Agree

@nikasaur said: He sets the tone of the world with ease, he knocks out sound effects with a single blow, he makes what we do sound AMAZING.

AGREE

@nikasaur said: It's a fact that Telltale sometimes hires super-human automatons, and investigations as to Jared's actual humanity are pending. Some people are just too talented.

I knew it, I KNEW IT! I knew it all along

@nikasaur said: (Fun fact: he's also super-skilled at Beatles Rock Band.)

Argh! Too much awesome condensed!

Ok... now the question: Which is the name of this song? It's the one of the menu for Season 2 Bonus DVD (Also in the Beginning of Chariots of the Dogs. And Bright Side of the Moon). This is probably my really REALLY favorite song of the whole soundtrack, and, for some reason, is doomed to have not an stand alone "release" for its quality of Cutscene Song. I think. So, since I'm frustrated, I resorted to ask this.

Edit: Uhhh I forgot. When I recieved my Copies of both soundtracks, I play them in the Car with my dad in a long trip. He loves it. And he didn't know who are Sam and Max (He doesn't like adventure games). Well, he didn't actually say that, he asks me about the band ;). And considering those copies took a long trip to get to my hands, I'm lucky to still have it. (In a totally unrelated note, those copies survived a Mega Earthquake *thumbs up*)

• What was the most fun song to create?

can we expect any randomish musical numbers this season?

• Being skilled in sound how often does poor sound design ruin a movie for you because its more obvious for you than for someone who isn't trained to notice?

• Was it hard voicing the Marquis?

• Geeky question:

What DAW/platform/mics/outboard stuff do you use?

:D

• Who are your top-3 composers?

• What do you use to note down and listen to your compositions before you record the live instruments?

...and are the strings also real instruments or are you taking those from sample libraries?

Love your stuff, keep up the awesome work

Add Comment