User Avatar Image

Q&A with Jared Emerson-Johnson, Friday!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Hear ye hear ye, Jared is coming to the forums to answer some of your music and sound related questions! Pop in to hear the answers on Friday the 2nd from 10am to 11am PST (he chose this specifically so Europeans can be awake for it, what a guy!)

Let me tell you- Jared is a superhero. He sets the tone of the world with ease, he knocks out sound effects with a single blow, he makes what we do sound AMAZING. It's a fact that Telltale sometimes hires super-human automatons, and investigations as to Jared's actual humanity are pending. Some people are just too talented.

(Fun fact: he's also super-skilled at Beatles Rock Band.)

We're open for questioning, so load 'em up and keep him busy.

182 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hassat Hunter said: Favorite song is "New location unlocked", gotta love that song. I know it's a remixed Midtown Cowboy's song, but after 100 times, I still can't hear that though...

I couldn't hear it for a while either, but try paying attention from about 2:50 on.

I can never think of any questions.

• How much actual written music is in an episode, vs. how much of it is looped?

Sam and Max has a jazz theme, have you ever considered recording several dozen solos over the same changes as a way of expanding the music?

**Edit: As a musician I know you have CONSIDERED it (we all have), but has that ever been a point of discussion vs. doing loops of music?

• @GinnyN said: Ok... now the question: Which is the name of this song? It's the one of the menu for Season 2 Bonus DVD (Also in the Beginning of Chariots of the Dogs. And Bright Side of the Moon). This is probably my really REALLY favorite song of the whole soundtrack, and, for some reason, is doomed to have not an stand alone "release" for its quality of Cutscene Song. I think. So, since I'm frustrated, I resorted to ask this.

I can answer this question before Jared gets here!! That is the instrumental backing for World of Max, the closing credits song from Season One. If you listen, you can sing World of Max to yourself over the top. I love that track, too. When that cutscene cue was delivered for 106, I might have listened to it too many times, and would maybe injure someone to get a copy of the full track. The Gilbert and Sullivan parts would probably make it weird, though.

• My favorite Sam and Max song is Just You And Me (And Ted E. Bear), it cracks me up every time I listen to it. When working on songs like this do you go at it alone or do you work with the Sam and Max creative team? How did this song come about?

• Any songs / sounds / music that you liked that didn't make it into the actual games?

• When you have to write background music for a certain place, how much do the devs tell you about the place? Do they show you something like a description or concept art?

• @Jake said: I can answer this question before Jared gets here!!

Really?

@Jake said: That is the instrumental backing for World of Max, the closing credits song from Season One. If you listen, you can sing World of Max to yourself over the top. I love that track, too.

O.O

@Jake said: When that cutscene cue was delivered for 106, I might have listened to it too many times, and would maybe injure someone to get a copy of the full track.

Oooohhhh... make it happen please!

• Not sure how to phrase it...
    But basically how do you go about writing a theme ?
    Do you start with the actual melody, or with some cliché lines to fit the mood needed, or just play around until you find something that clicks ?
    I always thought instrumental music was much harder than just adding some fancy stuff to an actual song. It's really hard to come up with a good theme or melody, and even more when doing "ambience music", having to convey a certain mood or emotion...
    Any insight on your overall musical life ?
    Also, what is/are your favourite instrument(s) to noodle with ?

Have you ever considered writing a "max" hard rock song (i mean, a song max would write, complete with hyperkinetic lyrics and rabitty guitar solos - or vice versa) ?

Thanks a lot for the thread anyway. The "euro-friendly" timing is a nice touch, too ;)

• Some simple questions.
    Did you play an(y) instrument(s) when you were a kid?
    Also, did you always want to be a composer?

And one harder one.
    I'm sort of interested in composing. I like to make up songs on the piano and whatnot. What do you think I should do?

• @Weeblerjake said:
    I'm sort of interested in composing. I like to make up songs on the piano and whatnot. What do you think I should do?

I dunno what's Jared's advice to you will be, but mine is to go all jerry lee lewis and set the piano on fire. Gets you in the right mood :D

Add Comment