User Avatar Image

Boobs: an artistic discussion

posted by Jen Kollic on - last edited - Viewed by 11.2K users

@Secret Fawful said: I decided to do some Morgan fanart, since I've barely contributed to this topic at all. And I used the opportunity to try a bit of a new style.

Sketch to Finished Product-

ws63c0.jpg

That looks great! I love Winslow's expression.

And I also agree that Thriller Guybrush needs to be an official smiley.

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • wait, this isnt the disturbing fanart thread... and yet there's THIS! Oh, God, what kind of crazy-&*^%ed up stuff is going on in there!

• @Irishmile said: Man.... you guys are going to make it so artists are afraid to share anything if you rip apart every little detail about the piece

Yeah, but, I asked for the critique. I don't mind; it's part of why I post art.

It's not that I feel like the drawings were terrible to begin with, or terrible at all, nor do I feel obligated to please everybody. I'm just willing to show that I don't know everything, and accept advice from others willing to share it.

• ... wtf, someone split the topic wrong.

• I fail forum management. FIXED.... ish

• I like where this is going.

• @Secret Fawful said: Yeah, but, I asked for the critique. I don't mind; it's part of why I post art.

It's not that I feel like the drawings were terrible to begin with, or terrible at all, nor do I feel obligated to please everybody. I'm just willing to show that I don't know everything, and accept advice from others willing to share it.

May I offer one piece of advice too: You need to tone down her left eye a bit. As it is now, it looks like it goes all the way to her ear.

• Huh, and there was me thinking "WTF? I don't remember starting an artistic discussion about boobs... though that does sound like the kind of topic I'd enjoy" but it all makes sense now.

All of Doctor Cello's points are very good... though I notice they don't seem to be in this thread, which is a pity. (ETA: Fixed! Never mind!) I think I've developed a tolerance to seeing women with relatively small chests being drawn with much larger... assets, mostly thanks to DC comics (WTF Harley Quinn is not a D-cup!) and Rule #34. Also, proportions in Tales are pretty skewy to begin with, exhibit A: Morgan. She might not have a large chest, but she has HUEG hips and thighs, and tiny, tiny ankles. A lot of fanart I've seen of her seems to reduce the size of her thighs and add it on to her chest instead. For the record, my personal theory is that despite her curvy hips, Morgan is not naturally well-endowed in the breast department, and wears a corset to give herself the cleavage that she would otherwise lack.

Also, failure to understand how breasts work is not necessarily confined to men. My mother once asked me "don't your breasts get in the way?" in regards to sleeping with other women, and I had to point out that no, they're not airbags. Apparently the topic had come up in conversation at her work, and naturally her response to her co-workers was 'I know, I'll ask my gay daughter'. Sigh.

• This topic has the potential to become epic. :D

@DoctorCello said: Well, I was specifically referring to how it doesn't cling to the cleavage. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time around. Still, it isn't because of the fabric that the jacket is form-fitting, it's just tailored that way. But I digress, really... I guess I'm still a little confused as to why you gave Elaine skin-tight clothes in the first place, since that's not what she wears in the game (her vest and blouse are very loose) and it doesn't really fit her character. If Elaine wanted to be sexy, she wouldn't be wearing a tight blouse with no breast support, she'd be wearing fishnets and a corset or something.

Being busty isn't always a matter of trying to look sexy. If you got it, there's nothing you can do about it.

Okay, I'm now going to get into something that I should have brought up in my first post: Elaine isn't exactly the bustiest girl, so I'm not really sure why you drew her as such. Honestly, she's a C-cup at most. The whole point of exaggeration is to take what's especially obvious of a figure and, well, exaggerate it. Taking Elane's bust, which is average-sized at best, and enlarging it a lot isn't exaggeration, it's modifying her character completely. With Elaine (at least in Tales), her most obvious feature is her hips, so why not focus on those? It's good that you took out the cleavage, though, and I like the creases on the fabric.

Different interpretation. My Elaine is busty. Theirs is not. In my opinion Elaine from the first two games is bustier than what she is now, but there's no real evidence to support this. It's just my opinion, and shes still never been as busty as I made her.

Not to be rude, but... drawing women with breast support isn't as hard as you make it out to be. Just study women with actual clothes on. Again, it's really out-of-character for Elaine to be going out like that, so I don't know why you've drawn her like that. On a sidenote, though, I've heard that Elaine probably wears a corset instead of a bra, as was custom back in that age. But then again, this is Monkey Island, so anything goes I guess!

It's hard for me, at least right now anyway. That'll leave me in time.

Okay, I'm kind of tired at this point and I'm not sure if I'd be able to explain myself correctly with words, so screw it. Look at the redlining below and if you have any questions about it, go ahead and shoot:

2v9st92.jpg

You explained yourself great so far, and I still appreciate the effort you put into your critique.

Well, you've definitely improved the shape of the breasts, that's for sure. But, really... At this point, I guess I'm really curious to know why you draw Elaine and Morgan with such exaggerated breasts in the first place. Don't take this the wrong way, there's nothing inherently wrong with drawing big breasts, but drawing them on characters that don't have them in the first place?

Like I said. Different interpretation. The essence of the characters isn't going to leave them with an enhanced bust. If you want it to be canon, we can say that while sparring in the jungle, Elaine and Morgan fell into a mysterious pool that grew their breasts to enormous proportions. :D

@DoctorCello said: May I offer one piece of advice too: You need to tone down her left eye a bit. As it is now, it looks like it goes all the way to her ear.

Sure.

@DoctorCello said: All of Doctor Cello's points are very good... though I notice they don't seem to be in this thread, which is a pity. (ETA: Fixed! Never mind!) I think I've developed a tolerance to seeing women with relatively small chests being drawn with much larger... assets, mostly thanks to DC comics (WTF Harley Quinn is not a D-cup!) and Rule #34. Also, proportions in Tales are pretty skewy to begin with, exhibit A: Morgan. She might not have a large chest, but she has HUEG hips and thighs, and tiny, tiny ankles. A lot of fanart I've seen of her seems to reduce the size of her thighs and add it on to her chest instead. For the record, my personal theory is that despite her curvy hips, Morgan is not naturally well-endowed in the breast department, and wears a corset to give herself the cleavage that she would otherwise lack.

As far as DC Comics, another artist I study is Jim Lee, however, moreso in how he draws men. I dislike how he draws his characters in one sense though because they all look the same.

• It looks much better, Fawful.

I'm used to people drawing huge breasts and you're not as bad as some people I know. And I personally don't see it as a "canon" representation of either Morgan or Elaine, so I see the bigger-than-they-should be breasts as absolutely voluntary and put there because you want it so. Which you know, why not, I guess.

A woman with these kind of breasts is never going to look 100% realistic, even if you make her less thin. However the changes you made help a lot, and I'm pretty sure you weren't trying to be realistic in the first place.

I've been thinking of posting pictures to help with the physics of it but I need y husband back so he can take them. So maybe tomorrow or later tonight.

Anyway, I do have to say a few things:

a) You didn't give her helium breasts. They do have some gravity to them. They're not super-high or anything. That's one mistake that really makes breasts look fake so it's good that you didn't make it.

b) Although these breasts are too big for my (and a lot of people's) conception of Elaine, they are still a realistic size. It's possible to have breasts that size. So what I mean is she still looks human, which is nice.

I find it funny that we're commenting so much on her breasts when her face is definitely not realistic at all and apart from the comment on the one eye, nobody seems to have a problem with that :P

• @Secret Fawful said: If you want it to be canon, we can say that while sparring in the jungle, Elaine and Morgan fell into a mysterious pool that grew their breasts to enormous proportions. :D

...you know, that sounds like some grade-A crack!fic material...

This discussion has been closed.