User Avatar Image

Why is In-Store DVD-ROM different?

posted by cringer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

To Telltale,

Why is the DVD you sent to customers DIFFERENT than then the version that is in stores? I was told the in-store version DOES NOT require online activation. WHY would you send customers a different disc?? This is HIGHLY annoying.

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Tero said: Don't know if anyone cares anymore, but I bought the store (blue box) version and it indeed does not require any online activation, so the information in this thread is accurate.

Wait, wut?

• Well, the first post says "I was told" and I'm just confirming it.

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most heinous problem with the DVD release yet:

The Telltale logo is slightly lower on the spine, so it doesn't perfectly match their other releases :(

• I imagine Telltale will come up with something to make up for the shoddy release of this DVD. Even if they just lift the activation limit for these particular episodes.

• I don't know what to say, actually.

Mostly because I have also personal problems with the DRM Scheme they are using, and I'm not asking for my Disc just for that. But also because I brought just one episode and the rest got them free. Somehow.

The good thing is, there's still the release of Wallace and Gromit DVD with the Mac Double Boot (Around this year eventually), so, there's a chance to get that fixed. I'm waiting for that. I hope the complains will be addressed.

My problem goes with the people who has already the Disc. I know is beyond difficult because is a physical product, but I hope those guys had a fix too.

• @Klink said: Sure, I get the Wallace & Gromit short-movies yet the entire W&G DVD is made up of items we could have downloaded ourselves! In fact, that's exactly what I'll do. For your viewing pleasure, here's the W&G DVD in its entirety.

- First, if you have the digital versions of W&G, go to your Games page up the top and download all the W&G episodes.
    - Youtube/Google Video "Wallace & Gromit Cracking Contraptions". Watch all 10 of them.
    - Go here: http://www.telltalegames.com/videos/ and download/watch practically all the trailers advertising all of Telltale's games.
    - Go here: http://vip.telltalegames.com/ and scroll down to Wallace & Gromit and download some concept art.
    - Go here: http://www.videogamer.com/videos/wallace_and_gromits_grand_adventures_fright_of_the_bumblebees_making_of_feature.html# to download the 'Behind the Scenes'.

Vwolla! I r maek teh DVD!

@Klink said: I really was looking forward to watch the Cracking Contraptions short on my TV, but I can't because all the Videos are just .wmv files and those can't be played by my DvD-Player. I don't even know if there is any Player that can play those. Maybe a more open Format would have been better, but then maybe i just dislike wmv-files for some reason ;-)

They can't do a half-assed job with ToMI's DVD. Dave Grossman worked as a designer on SMI and MI2 back in the day, and now on ToMI. He has to know that it will piss off a lot of people.

At first, I didn't care much about the issue of online activation on a disc version, since I was sure there would be a patch to break it if TTG ever closed. But since I read Klink's post that you can find everything from the game on the net already, and Mirko's post that the clips on the disc are just .wmv's... Well, I have to say that it's changed my mind about it all. This is terrible.

Dave wouldn't do the same thing to MI fans. He's been around since the beginning, so he has to know how much it means to us to have it done right.

...perhaps, if we made a big enough stink, they might improve the W&G disc? I know I wouldn't buy it after reading Klink's post unless it had stuff that wasn't so obviously easily burnable on my own.

• @GinnyN said: The good thing is, there's still the release of Wallace and Gromit DVD with the Mac Double Boot (Around this year eventually), so, there's a chance to get that fixed. I'm waiting for that. I hope the complains will be addressed.

That's true, they have a chance at redemption with the Mac version. After all, we know they have functional builds of the disc-check version, that's what they released to retail after all.

• @GinnyN said: The good thing is, there's still the release of Wallace and Gromit DVD with the Mac Double Boot (Around this year eventually), so, there's a chance to get that fixed. I'm waiting for that. I hope the complains will be addressed.

Not gonna happen. :(

@GinnyN said: I don't think there will be updated DVD's of older games. Somewhere (I can't find where), Will said they were interested, but that the cost was probably going to be too great.

@GinnyN said: What HumpsMcLovin said. We'd love to, but it's just not feasible.

• I have a new proposal for DRM. It is a unique and innovative idea that has never been done before.

monkey_island_codewheel.jpg

• I used to have a golf simulator for the Atari ST and you had to plug in this little black thing into one of the serial ports in the back for the game, you can't get much better than that!!

Must have been expensive to make a load of little black serial port plugs though lol

Add Comment