User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Forgive me if this has been answered already (late to the party), but what were the design factors that triggered the decision to drop true point and click input from all your games since Monkey Island?

• @behe101 said: Forgive me if this has been answered already (late to the party), but what were the design factors that triggered the decision to drop true point and click input from all your games since Monkey Island?

Perhaps "Making Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures"?

• @behe101 said: Forgive me if this has been answered already (late to the party), but what were the design factors that triggered the decision to drop true point and click input from all your games since Monkey Island?

There's here somewhere.

In resume, they were experimenting with direct control in W&G and then discovered they can do the game more awesome with better enviroments using Direct Control instead of Point and Click. And then start the drama

• Will Sam and Max Season 3 have more advanced facial expressions, like TMI?

• @Frown said: Will Sam and Max Season 3 have more advanced facial expressions, like TMI?

Sorry, but, have you check out the trailer?

• @GinnyN said: Sorry, but, have you check out the trailer?

Or the various interviews that say, specifically, "We love that our enhanced ability to convey facial expressions can more easily sell the jokes in Season Three"?

• I have a few questions:

1. Are the graphics more advanced then previous seasons?

2. Will the teleporting feature take to the same places you can go to in the Desoto?

3. What's the control type?

That's all I can think of at the moment but i'm sure i'll have more...soon
    (please forgive me if some of the questions were alredy asked)

• @Frown said: Will Sam and Max Season 3 have more advanced facial expressions, like TMI?

Max has non-creepy working eyebrows now, I'm ecstatic.

• Hi design team guys! I preordered 2 days ago and I've been reading through your answers and have found them to be extremely informative. But I still have a potentially redundant question (my memory isn't that great).

Since you're implementing better face animations, are there going to be more attempts at subtle jokes through facial expressions and body language or is it still going to mostly be off-kilter, Sam & Max dialogue?

I'm not sure if I really phrased that in an entirely efficient manner.

• Hey there Telltale. I have a couple of questions regarding the recent iPad edition to Sam & Max. First off, I noticed in a screenshot that there were blue dotes to indicate what Sam could interact with. This reminded me of a feature used by the company (forgot the name) that created Steel Sky and Broken Sword for their iPod versions of their games. Were you inspired by this or is it just coincidence?
    Second, will there be a demo version of episode 301 for the iPad? I ask this because I think it would be a great way to introduce people to the game.
    Thanks. :)

Add Comment