User Avatar Image

iPad: Your thoughts?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I know it's not out yet, but family was having a discussion about it last week.

From what I've read, the starting price for the iPad is [edit]$500, which doesn't include 3G cell capability. For that, it costs $150 more ($650 total,)[/edit] for the device and $15/month for service. You don't use the 3G for a phone, but rather for access to the net.

First, let me comment about how people are talking about the iPad vs. Kindle. My wife and I have a Kindle, and let me tell you that it's much more like reading a book than staring at a computer. That means that you can read for hours and not get eyestrain. With that in mind, I think the iPad would be a bad ebook reader because staring at your iPhone/iPod Touch for hours would give you a headache, I would think. Not to mention the Kindle's battery life lasts for days and weeks, not hours.

Second, it's no more than a giant iPod Touch with 3G access. That's all. It's like a tablet PC with the iPhone OS. Why would any current iPhone/iPod user buy one?

...My Dad says that he thinks it's going to be a big flop. What do you all think?

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I know a fair few people who are getting one, and i have asked each one of them one question. Why? Noone has given me an answer yet other than "dunno" or words to that affect. That is the power of apple.

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

@mouseykins said: I, for one, would love to play Sam & Max on a tablet like the iPad. And with Telltale's recent wholehearted support for the Mac, surely iPad versions of Telltale games must be a realistic possibility when the iPad user base picks up?

It seems you got your wish granted ;)

• @Rather Dashing said:
    Some of the ideas of the iPad are neat, but the implentation leaves a lot to be desired, I think. I want multitasking, I want a(relatively) open platform, and I want the internet to "just work", without relying on the web to change for my sake.

I agree with this. But I also think that in order to support the ideas for further development, there has to be support for the early implementation of those ideas.

@Rather Dashing said: I know a fair few people who are getting one, and i have asked each one of them one question. Why? Noone has given me an answer yet other than "dunno" or words to that affect. That is the power of apple.

There's nothing terrible about trying out something unknown. If they don't like it, they can sell it. At least they're not saying, "Because it's magical!"

• The chances of me buying one are zero, unless I win the lottery and have more money than I know what to do with (the chances of which are also zero, since I don't play the lottery). It's cool and all, but it's a very low priority for me. I'd sooner buy myself a new iPod Classic to replace my old one. On the other hand, if I were to win one or otherwise acquire one for free, I almost certainly would keep it, at least until I tried it out.

@Friar said: I know a fair few people who are getting one, and i have asked each one of them one question. Why? Noone has given me an answer yet other than "dunno" or words to that affect. That is the power of apple.

I get the same sort of answers when I try asking people why they liked Avatar.

• No flash = No canabalt = No purchase.

I just thought of an idea for a (potentially damaging) app for it; a coaster app that lights up a ring around the base of your drink. Think about it.

• I hoped people were smarter then buying this useless.. thingy. and then I saw the people waiting in line.

• @Ray-The-Sun said: No flash = No canabalt = No purchase.

I just thought of an idea for a (potentially damaging) app for it; a coaster app that lights up a ring around the base of your drink. Think about it.

What? Canabalt was designed as an iPhone game. I play it there all the time.

Flash isn't supported within the iPhone OS's web browser, but people use Flash to compile standalone games for it. Canabalt was one of the first.

• Aside from the amount of flash content on the web that won't be compatible, HTML5 is much, much better than flash for the iPad. Here's a quick comparison: Flash 10 (the latest version of flash) can just barely run the original DOOM. HTML5, on the other hand, can run Quake 2! That's a pretty big difference if you ask me. I'm not saying that the iPad will be running Quake 2 any time soon, but think about how quickly HTML5 will become mainstream with that kind of potential.

• @natlinxz said: Aside from the amount of flash content on the web that won't be compatible, HTML5 is much, much better than flash for the iPad. Here's a quick comparison: Flash 10 (the latest version of flash) can just barely run the original DOOM. HTML5, on the other hand, can run Quake 2! That's a pretty big difference if you ask me. I'm not saying that the iPad will be running Quake 2 any time soon, but think about how quickly HTML5 will become mainstream with that kind of potential.

I'm not going to spend half a grand on a device that will work perfectly in a hypothetical future, no matter how likely that future may be. I like my consumer devices to work really well now.

• People on here are mentioning how playing adventure games on the iPad might be cool, but I assume that means they'd like playing them on a device with a touch-screen.

Why then wouldn't someone buy a small tablet pc instead of an iPad? That would make a heck of a lot more sense.

Add Comment