User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!

479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Question: Knowing all you developers love TF2 so much, how about a staff-fans game of friendly TF2?

• Oh man, I'm all for that.

• Will we be able to keep our stickers and upgrades in Season 3?

• @Pak-Man said: Will we be able to keep our stickers and upgrades in Season 3?

I think this was answered earlier up, but DeSoto upgrades aren't part of Devils Playhouse, sorry!

• @Jake said: I think this was answered earlier up, but DeSoto upgrades aren't part of Devils Playhouse, sorry!

Awww :(

• @Jutia said: Now that is all well and good, but with the sole exception of S&M, all of your franchises have been done before...And better.

Wait, how is Sam and Max an exception? If anything, it's exceptional in how MANY times it has been done before. It was an underground comic strip, a LucasArts adventure, an animated series, and the subject of two cancelled projects before Sam and Max: Season One.

• Ehm, S&M has been done before too... Hit the Road, heard of it?

• @Jutia said: To clarify: I am not making fun of how many times it has been done before, but rather the lack in quality of the other Telltale games compared to the source material. They have taken series that I personally grew up with, and while S&M was great,the other series are nowhere near as good. I watch Homestar Runner regularly, I grew up with Wallace and Gromit, and I have beaten the first three MI games a number of times, and they each hold a place in my heart. I will admit, S&M seasons 1+2 are not as good as the source material, but they come pretty close. However, the rest of the other stuff, at least to me (everyone has their own opinion), isn't anywhere near as good as the source material.

Honestly, I don't think Telltale will ever reach a level where they are better than the memory. So...What I am asking for, instead of trying to appeal to people by recreating existing franchises, why don't they create the nostalgia instead by making a new franchise. What I am seeing is that the fan base already has that trust and faith in the Telltale brand, so why don't they create their own original franchise. That's just a thought.

Cheers,
    Obsolete Critic

I do agree with you on a couple of points, but it's Nostalgia that makes these games great, and well you know as I say I'm glad S&M, MI, W&G. Were made, they have cultivated new fans, and new people into the adventure gaming Genre. Wich to be said, is a great thing, I personaly adore, the fact that TTG hits our Nostalgia, with little things here and there during the games, I think thats what makes the games memorable. They may not be as good as the source material, but they come damn close, and for what they are doing I applaud them. I do agree on one point that I would love to see a new Original IP, In time I think they will, but for now. I love what they are doing.

• I've still got a burning question that I've been trying hard not to ask in this forum.
    I now this probably won't be answered if there hasn't been anything defenitive about it, but has Telltale at any point considered hiring Al Lowe or had contact with him about it?

• Oh, I thought of a question:
    Will Season 3 have an easy way of patching the game? I ask because there were some bugs in some of the ToMI episodes, and fixing one of the bigger ones required redownloading the entire episode.
    I do want to make it clear that I'm not annoyed at the bugs. Every software product has its share of them, and with the time schedule you guys are on, it's entirely understandable some go unnoticed during the QA sessions. I also don't mind redownloading episodes, since I've got a reasonably fast internet connection and no download limit, but other people here aren't so lucky.

Also, and this isn't a question, I can imagine why Telltale hasn't created their own IP (yet?). It's hard for a small and recently-founded company to get gamers and game news sites to notice their new creation. By starting out with a (somewhat) well known property, they have a higher chance of getting noticed.
    That said, I think Telltale is now large enough to be able to create a new IP and have it get enough exposure, especially with the increase in fans from ToMI. So, guys, get to it :p

Add Comment