User Avatar Image

iPad: Your thoughts?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I know it's not out yet, but family was having a discussion about it last week.

From what I've read, the starting price for the iPad is [edit]$500, which doesn't include 3G cell capability. For that, it costs $150 more ($650 total,)[/edit] for the device and $15/month for service. You don't use the 3G for a phone, but rather for access to the net.

First, let me comment about how people are talking about the iPad vs. Kindle. My wife and I have a Kindle, and let me tell you that it's much more like reading a book than staring at a computer. That means that you can read for hours and not get eyestrain. With that in mind, I think the iPad would be a bad ebook reader because staring at your iPhone/iPod Touch for hours would give you a headache, I would think. Not to mention the Kindle's battery life lasts for days and weeks, not hours.

Second, it's no more than a giant iPod Touch with 3G access. That's all. It's like a tablet PC with the iPhone OS. Why would any current iPhone/iPod user buy one?

...My Dad says that he thinks it's going to be a big flop. What do you all think?

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: Says the guy who role played as the Videlectrix developers...

So...they don't get their own vote? :D

• @Rather Dashing said: So...they don't get their own vote? :D

And I can't vote as iambecomedeath7?

• @Andrew Ryan said: But... but I like it here. I'm sure I have, like a fan. Somewhere? Anywhere? Can we have a poll? Please? Pretty please?

-1 vote. We here at Videlectrix find the practice to be counterintuitive to the honest connection of human beings over ARPANET graphics machines.

...also, I totally run the Good Graphicketeers off this account. And I totally intend to finish off that album of Videlectrix manuals and promotional materials sometime. You couldn't possibly ban the Good Graphicketeers, Jake. You're one of them. :(

• @Jake said: This thread is terrible. Stop role playing as Andrew Ryan, please, or leave the forums.

Okay, I don't know if you're on Team Argyle or Team Dino, but whatever Team you're on, I'ma join it.

+1337 votes for Jake.

EDIT: on topic, Apple sucks. I'm all for Telltale making games for Apple hardware because it will make TTG money. Telltale is awesome and I hope they become the next household name when it comes to the gaming industry. But, Apple still sucks.

People will buy Apple products because Apple is great at generating sales hype and building hardware that looks pretty and has cool features. However, I would say that anyone willing to pay $60 per month PER PHONE for an iPhone is an idiot. If my wife and I had 2 iPhones, that's $120 per month in bills at the basic rate just to have cell phones. Also, I've played around alot with iTunes, and aside from having a big music store, it really sucks as a media player. I'll take WinAmp any day.

Apple's hardware costs too damn much, and it's too dependent on proprietary software.

• @Chyron8472 said: Okay, I don't know if you're on Team Argyle or Team Dino, but whatever Team you're on, I'ma join it.

+1337 votes for Jake.

You're stuffing the ballot box.

• @Andrew Ryan said: But... but I like it here. I'm sure I have, like a fan. Somewhere? Anywhere? Can we have a poll? Please? Pretty please?

On one hand, the Ryan thing can be entertaining. On the other, you do seem to take it too far in certain threads. Like this one. And that's where I see the line between whatever it is you were doing and actually being a troll.

So...neutral vote?

• @Rather Dashing said: You're stuffing the ballot box.

I'm not a Republican, thanks.

But anyway, if it gets "Andrew Ryan" to shut up, who cares?

• @Chyron8472 said: I'm not a Republican, thanks.

But anyway, if it gets "Andrew Ryan" to shut up, who cares?

Presumably Andrew Ryan. Oh, and others with false identities, like myself.

• Yes, but that's funny. "Presumably Andrew Ryan" is not.

• @Jake said: This thread is terrible. Stop role playing as Andrew Ryan, please, or leave the forums.

I think a golf club could come in handy to silence him... ;)

Add Comment