User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • NO WAY do I want that to happen! I DO NOT want the King's Quest license in the hands of a bunch of fans! Then all the decisions are not based on business views but on personal views. They could keep anybody from doing anything KQ related even if they held a personal grudge.

And besides all that, I despised the KQ9 project when I heard what the story entailed and how it RUINED King's Quest. I'm glad it was axed. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for all the devs that put a lot of hard work into the project, but in the long run I'm happy.

But the King's Quest license in the hands of these people would destroy King's Quest forever.

• @MusicallyInspired said: NO WAY do I want that to happen! I DO NOT want the King's Quest license in the hands of a bunch of fans! Then all the decisions are not based on business views but on personal views. They could keep anybody from doing anything KQ related even if they held a personal grudge.

Seriously? There's no possible way they're going to be able to afford it.
    @MusicallyInspired said: But the King's Quest license in the hands of these people would destroy King's Quest forever. It's already pretty dead.
    @MusicallyInspired said: Purchasing the license would take thousands of dollars, wouldn't it?Probably more like millions. Maybe 500k.

• @PariahKing said: It's already pretty dead.

No, I didn't say they would kill it. I said they would destroy it. They'd revitalize it then disfigure it in such a way as to leave a horrible taste in everyone's nostalgia which would ruin the name of King's Quest forever afterwards for those who remember it.

• @MusicallyInspired said: No, I didn't say they would kill it. I said they would destroy it. They'd revitalize it then disfigure it in such a way as to leave a horrible taste in everyone's nostalgia which would ruin the name of King's Quest forever afterwards for those who remember it.

It would just be ruined for like a decade. At that point everyone would forget how much they hated the new one, make a sequel that ignored the plot holes of the last, and achieve glorious success.

• Yes, maybe. But this team would still hold the copyrights. Which changes all the rules in that regard.

• It will, never, ever happen though.

• @MusicallyInspired said: NO WAY do I want that to happen! I DO NOT want the King's Quest license in the hands of a bunch of fans! Then all the decisions are not based on business views but on personal views. They could keep anybody from doing anything KQ related even if they held a personal grudge.

And besides all that, I despised the KQ9 project when I heard what the story entailed and how it RUINED King's Quest. I'm glad it was axed. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for all the devs that put a lot of hard work into the project, but in the long run I'm happy.

But the King's Quest license in the hands of these people would destroy King's Quest forever.

What's with all the hate for Phoenix Online Studios (aka the KQ9 dev group) and TSL? Who are you to say the game will have a bad plot when hardly any of the game's plot has been revealed? I'd say they've done a great job at keeping the plot of a 10-year long project quite secret!

What is wrong with giving the KQ series a conclusion? I've lurked their forums for a few years now, and I've heard Phoenix Online Studios say they weren't interested in making a "KQ10" after TSL is done, but making their own original project.

Let's just let there be one more King's Quest, that way Mask of Eternity isn't the last KQ of the series :p

• I had a few inside sources. Very reliable ones. I did NOT appreciate the tone they were taking King's Quest in. I don't think a lot of others would have either. It was just very dark and very not King's Quest at all. It was not the King's Quest you remember. And they kept defending that by saying that they wanted the series to mature like the players themselves have matured over the years.

I'm not bashing the work of the dev team. In fact I mentioned I was saddened that all their hard work went to waste. And I have nothing against the series having an ending. I just don't want one with those writers.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I had a few inside sources. Very reliable ones. I did NOT appreciate the tone they were taking King's Quest in. I don't think a lot of others would have either. It was just very dark and very not King's Quest at all. It was not the King's Quest you remember. And they kept defending that by saying that they wanted the series to mature like the players themselves have matured over the years.

I'm not bashing the work of the dev team. In fact I mentioned I was saddened that all their hard work went to waste. And I have nothing against the series having an ending. I just don't want one with those writers.

Alright, I'll admit that when I played the demo I was disappointed in the overly-serious tone that didn't fit the other games (well ok, MoE took a pretty serious tone as well ... but its the black sheep of the KQ family for a reason :p). I mean, yeah Graham's daughter (and I think son too, been a number of years since I played the demo) was kidnapped which would make anyone kinda sad, but even when Graham's ENTIRE family was kidnapped by Mordack in KQ5, he seemed to keep quite the positive upper lip. All that demo really needed was a little more positive Graham (and a few bugs fixed) and I'd have 100% confidence in Phoenix Online Studios.

All the same, I'm intrigued about how POS plan to tie the whole series together. I've had my own ideas of how the series should end, and I hope that TSL's is even half as epic as I'd imagine they should be.

Even if POS isn't able to buy the KQ license, or even just a commercial license (not saying that either chances are very high), I think all fans of KQ should help keep their support, even if its just signing their fan petition (not that I think that will do much good either ... but it can't hurt).

Add Comment