User Avatar Image

Doctor Who goes episodic... but not with Telltale

posted by Pinchpenny on - last edited - Viewed by 816 users

I know there are a couple of threads about this, but I thought I'd make a new one since there's been official news here.

Broken Sword creator Charles Cecil and Sheffield-based studio Sumo Digital have been signed up to make Doctor Who: The Adventure Games.

The episodic, PC/Mac games are billed as an extra four episodes for the new 13-show series five run which began in the UK during the Easter weekend.

But most importantly: the games are made in very close collaboration with the show's new production team - and they are completely free.

The Adventure Games consist of four downloads of around 250MB featuring the eponymous Doctor and his companion Amy in encounters with iconic enemies - actors Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have supplied their likeness and voices to the game.

You might know Sumo Digital from games such as Virtua Tennis and New International Track & Field, and of course Charles Cecil as the creator of the Broken Sword series. The games will be released for free (the BBC can't charge for its content) through the official Doctor Who website.

So there we go! Apparently it was commissioned in early 2009, so this has been planned for a long time. Here's an indepth interview with Stefan Moffat and Piers Wenger for more details about 'The Adventure Games'.

85 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pinchpenny said: I know there are a couple of threads about this, but I thought I'd make a new one since there's been official news here.

You might know Sumo Digital from games such as Virtua Tennis and New International Track & Field, and of course Charles Cecil as the creator of the Broken Sword series. The games will be released for free (the BBC can't charge for its content) through the official Doctor Who website.

So there we go! Apparently it was commissioned in early 2009, so this has been planned for a long time. Here's an indepth interview with Stefan Moffat and Piers Wenger for more details about 'The Adventure Games'.

That is really awesome that Dr. WHo gets game, and that people are following telltales example.

• There's also a Wii one in collaboration with Nintendo which has been announced. Plus there have been other Doctor Who video game which have been released in the past:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Doctor_Who_video_games

• @Vitas said: There's also a Wii one in collaboration with Nintendo which has been announced. Plus there have been other Doctor Who video game which have been released in the past:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Doctor_Who_video_games

The wii one was confirmed fake by nintendo a while back.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Oh gosh, I don't know whether to be excited or nervous! Thanks for the article/interview links.

@Pinchpenny said:
    You might know Sumo Digital from games such as Virtua Tennis and New International Track & Field, and of course Charles Cecil as the creator of the Broken Sword series.

Sumo worked on the last Broken Sword game too (The Angel of Death). The involvement of Cecil Charles bodes well, as does Steven Moffat overseeing the project and ensuring it's "aligned" with the TV series and generally feels like a Who experience. It'll be interesting to find out more about the gameplay.

@Pinchpenny said:
    The games will be released for free (the BBC can't charge for its content) through the official Doctor Who website.

That's awesome! It means I have nothing to lose except my respect for everyone involved in the project, and precious moments of my own existence. :D

I'll wait to see more before allowing my usual overexcitement to run rampant, but it sounds promising!

EDIT: Some screenshots from Tech Digest.

• @puzzlebox said: Oh gosh, I don't know whether to be excited or nervous! Thanks for the article/interview links.

Sumo worked on the last Broken Sword game too (The Angel of Death). The involvement of Cecil Charles bodes well, as does Steven Moffat overseeing the project and ensuring it's "aligned" with the TV series and generally feels like a Who experience. It'll be interesting to find out more about the gameplay.

That's awesome! It means I have nothing to lose except my respect for everyone involved in the project, and precious moments of my own existence. :D

I'll wait to see more before allowing my usual overexcitement to run rampant, but it sounds promising!

EDIT: Some screenshots from Tech Digest.

See your doing what I do, so proud.

• I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be region locked. Afterall, the rest of the world doesn't pay for the BBC;s license fees (i think).

• How do you region lock a downloadable game? I mean, sure they can prevent you from downloading it from the BBC using IP filtering (as per iPlayer) but once the game is out there, people will share it... and how could they be doing anything wrong when it's already FREE?

• Maybe it has to connect to the Internet and find your IP before you can play it? But I doubt they would be that mean.

• @Molokov said: How do you region lock a downloadable game? I mean, sure they can prevent you from downloading it from the BBC using IP filtering (as per iPlayer) but once the game is out there, people will share it... and how could they be doing anything wrong when it's already FREE?

Yes, but it'll still be offputting to a large portion of potential consumers. Plus, you'd have to get it from shady websites. Personally, i think everyone should have access to it, but the BBC may have other ideas.

How is Doctor who aired other their? On bbc worldwide? Or on SciFi (syfy?)? I know they don't bother with filters on the bbc worldwide stuff (on Youtube, they haven't filtered out their old doctor who episodes (1960's->80's) that they uploaded onto their channel, or at least thats what i gather from the comments.

• The Logo
    adventure_02.jpg

Some Concept art
    adventure_concept_02.jpgA world full of danger and mystery

adventure_concept_04.jpgA creepily familiar alien skyline
    adventure_concept_03.jpgAll new corridors to run down
    adventure_concept_06.jpgA new alien world of adventure
    adventure_concept_01.jpgExploring icy caves

And some Gameplay Snaps
    adventure_10.jpg
    Thats London, i think, although the caption reads How much for a taxi to Gallifrey?
    adventure_05.jpgWhat's Amy seen?
    adventure_07.jpgThe Cybermen are coming (one thing i would like to point out, is that they aren't the cybus industries parallel cybermen!)

More images on the official Doctor who website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100408_01/adventure_games

Add Comment