User Avatar Image

Out of control Batman thread!

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 373 users

I was thinking that we could talk about Batman. This is the thread where anything Batman related goes.

Personally I really like Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan's movies. I also enjoy some episodes of the cartoon every once in a while (btbtb). The subjects of conversation however, are endless. I'm just gonna see what you guys would like to discuss and go from there :D

Villians, comics, movies, games, cartoons? Gogo!

-kap

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: Oh crap! How did I forget about this one! I retract my previous post; this one is definitely my favorite. How it tied in the Animated Series with that screwed up ending, and what the Joker did to Tim Drake. That was insane, and definitely definitely the best story DC Animated ever put to film.

The Joker revealing Joker Jr (that sounds wrong) and his "death" was one my fav scenes on tv ever

• @Secret Fawful said: Oh crap! How did I forget about this one! I retract my previous post; this one is definitely my favorite. How it tied in the Animated Series with that screwed up ending, and what the Joker did to Tim Drake. That was insane, and definitely definitely the best story DC Animated ever put to film.

What was the ending to the animated series? Did it have anything to do with what was shown as flashbacks in Batman Beyond?

• @OzzieMonkey said: What was the ending to the animated series? Did it have anything to do with what was shown as flashbacks in Batman Beyond?

Well, in Return, the flashbacks of what happened to Robin was obviously set in the Animated Series universe, so while it wasn't an ending to Batman, it was an ending to Robin and the Joker, although there are theories that the Robin from the Teen Titans animated series is Tim Drake after the incident with the Joker in Return of the Joker, as Robin in Teen Titans is referenced as being Tim Drake in a Batman cameo in Static Shock [inhale] and yeah, Teen Titans Robin is much more obssessed with taking down criminals and he's much more of a hardcore unhinged badass.

I remember seeing that movie as a kid as well on TV and it completely blew me away. I really loved the Tim Drake Robin, and I don't get or see all the Robin hate everywhere. He's awesome.

• @Rather Dashing said: Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman film. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are the first live action films to "get" Batman. Don't get me wrong, the 1989 Batman film isn't a bad movie. It's just that Burton doesn't get Batman, or the Joker for that matter.

I'll agree with you on all points mask of the Phantasm, is the best batman movie ever, and well Mark Hamil in my opinon is a hell of a lot better than Heath Ledger.

• I really like the animated Batman universe, I prefer it to both the movies and the mainstream comics. Mask of the Phantasm was great, Return of the Joker was great (as long as you got the uncut version) and Batman-Superman was great.

The latter even got a nod in the mainstream comics, in an issue of 'Action Comics' where the Joker went to Metropolis specifically to mess with Lex Luthor. Harley and Mercy didn't get along any better in the comics...

Mercy VS Harley - Round 1
    Mercy VS Harley - Round 2
    Mercy VS Harley - Round 3

It's been about ten years since that comic came out, and I still think it's one of the best mainstream portrayals of Harley, those three pages are fifty times better than her actual series was.

• adamwestn.jpg

"And why doesn’t Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?"

batusi2.gif

• I just popped in to say this thread is out of control

• @Wapcaplet said: adamwestn.jpg

"And why doesn’t Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?"

batusi2.gif

3 words. Batman. On. Drugs.

• @Secret Fawful said:
    The Joker was tacked on. Sure, it was a great performance by Mark Hamill, and the Joker was both terrifying and diabolical. But he was out of place.

Pretty much agreed. The Joker just didn't feel like he fit into the more grounded mobster story that the film was going for.

And they ruined the ending of it by showing whats-her-name still alive. I mean, so what, what happened to the Joker? Did he die? I thought they both died...but yet there SHE is. So was her whole quest for NOTHING? EXPLAIN, MOVIE! EXPLAIN!!
    Considering the series moves on and he shows up later, the Joker got away. This also happened in Batman/Superman, actually. And I don't think whats-her-name needed to be alive for the film, but my guess is they wanted to use her later. And then the movie bombed. So they didn't. Also, you watch too much That Guy With the Glasses.

Now I will admit some things the movie did beautifully was the portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman, which was the best in the series. The humor was spot on, as was Alfred, and the romance, and the action. The look and feel of the movie was great, and it was a very well written mystery.
    Pretty much this. The scene that really hooks me, and sets this film up as my favorite though, is Bruce's scene with his parents' grave. It's just so perfect, so well shows Bruce right before the transformation. It always gives me chills. Everything from the music, to the art, to the acting, to the "cinematography" of the scene....it could have come off very hammy, but it didn't, because it was just executed perfectly.

Personally my favorite Batman movie is The Batman-Superman Movie. I love the dynamic with Batman and Superman contrasted with the dynamic between Lex Luthor and The Joker. And of course Harley Quinn and Lex's...eh...driver also had a small sub rivalry? The whole thing was done very well, and it's a very underrated classic.
    This is actually up there for me. It kind of goes Phantasm/Dark Knight/Batman Begins/Return of the Joker/Batman and Superman. These are all REALLY excellent films, though, that all can really be on the top of the list.

However, on an unrelated note, my favorite DC animated movies fall somewhere in-between Batman-Superman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern: First Flight.
    I'm not really big on the new DC animated films. I've been renting them through Netflix, and I'm finding myself, I dunno...

They're fun enough, and I don't regret watching them, but they're just not "exceptional". On the other hand, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Red Hood, and one of the Gotham Knights shorts was awesome, the "Working Through Pain" one. It was one of the maybe two watchable shorts in the bunch, but it was excellent.

Add Comment