User Avatar Image

Ron Gilbert and Harry Potter

posted by Silverwolfpet on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

Do you think Ron Gilbert likes "Harry Potter" because one of the main characters is called "Ron"?

139 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Fealiks said: In fact, it's my personal opinion that nobody in the world has ever really been evil. Well, maybe one or two people, but you can count them off as anomolies.

I wouldn't say I agree with that, but I can tell you that there are people in the Christian community who say that Harry Potter teaches ungodly values to kids, including encouraging them to study witchcraft and the occult. It's all just a load of bs.

The Harry Potter series is fiction. It's fantasy. I was the first of my family to have started reading them, and since then myself, my wife, her parents and brother and several extended family members, and my parents have all read each HP book at least once, and we're all Christians and see nothing wrong with any of it. Sure, by the end of book 4 it can get rather dark in tone, but that's different from people trying to say that Satan is trying to attack our kids by influencing them through the story elements within Harry Potter.

It makes me extremely mad every time I hear anyone say such things. READ THE BOOKS FIRST before you believe that crap.

• @Chyron8472 said: I wouldn't say I agree with that, but I can tell you that there are people in the Christian community who say that Harry Potter teaches ungodly values to kids, including encouraging them to study witchcraft and the occult. It's all just a load of bs.

The Harry Potter series is fiction. It's fantasy. I was the first of my family to have started reading them, and since then myself, my wife, her parents and brother and several extended family members, and my parents have all read each HP book at least once, and we're all Christians and see nothing wrong with any of it. Sure, by the end of book 4 it can get rather dark in tone, but that's different from people trying to say that Satan is trying to attack our kids by influencing them through the story elements within Harry Potter.

It makes me extremely mad every time I hear anyone say such things. READ THE BOOKS FIRST before you believe that crap.

I guess there are just a lot of stupid Christians

(don't take offence to that - I'm an atheist and there are a lot of stupid atheists)

• How funny - One of the Reverends at my school (yes, my school has Reverends) always uses Harry Potter metaphors when preaching. He spoiled the end of The Deathly Hallows for everyone during the Easter service a few years ago.

• There are indeed a lot of stupid people. In every category. It's like a plague.

• indeed.

btw, I didn't mean to balance this topic on controversy. That just really ticked me off.

• @StonkBad said: How funny - One of the Reverends at my school (yes, my school has Reverends) always uses Harry Potter metaphors when preaching. He spoiled the end of The Deathly Hallows for everyone during the Easter service a few years ago.

There's a reverend at my school. Ironically, he teaches biology.

• We don't believe in reverends at schools... and, of course, hair dryers.

• I completely agree with all that Chyron has said. I'm also a Christian and I too see nothing wrong with the Harry Potter books. I've read all of the books twice (Philosopher's Stone thrice), and find them to be harmless and actually beneficial in some ways. I personally hate the movies because they are nothing like the books and have a completely different mood, different themes and different or, often, obsolete humour.

Anyway, the books (and the movies, for that matter) are not evil. As Chyron said, they are fiction and fantasy. And the Hogwarts students aren't actually learning any evil spells or dark magic, that would be the villains of the story - who are later fought against in an effort to try and save the magic world from an evil rule. The book is nothing more than a tale of good vs. evil - just like Lord of the Rings, just like the Chronicles of Narnia.

• Just thought I'd put this up here:

1578564719.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• I'm very happy to see that there's a book like this though, I'd love to congratulate the author (though I've only read the book overview).

Add Comment