User Avatar Image

ANSWERED: Q&A with... Steve Purcell!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Yes. This is the awesomest thing.

Creator of Sam and Max and all around awesome guy Steve Purcell will be answering questions ongoing throughout this week! We'll be doing the questions in batches to allow for Steve's busy schedule so there's no official dates or times to speak of.

Have a life altering query? Maybe just a casual inquiry? Questions about Sam and Max, Telltale's games, or the meaning of life can all be posted here and magically answered through the powers of the internet!

WHEE! The first batch has been answered! They start right here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15956&page=6

184 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @serializer said: Just one question I can think of:

How the hell did you come up with this crazy dog and rabbity thing idea in the first place?

EDIT: Sorry, I see this has already been asked and I guess answered elsewhere. But any further explanation would be great ;)

He didnt think of it, his brother did when they were kids. HIs brother created the comics and steve finshed them usually by making fun of them.
    Later when steve took some art classes he decided to use sam and max as the people to draw, and then later with his bros permission the comic books/tv show/video game heros we know today.
    EDIT: also, how is steve going to answer these, through PM or will he eventually come on and answer or am i missing something.

• @Gman5852 said: how is steve going to answer these, through PM or will he eventually come on and answer or am i missing something.

My guess is some spokesman in the Telltale Team is going to forward all the questions to him via email then that said spokesman will post the answers they get back in here.

• @tbm1986 said: My guess is some spokesman in the Telltale Team is going to forward all the questions to him via email then that said spokesman will post the answers they get back in here.

But he hasent answered them yet then.

• @Gman5852 said: But he hasent answered them yet then.

He might have done and they haven't been posted here yet but I doubt it.

• Hi Steve,

Just a few questions, if you have a moment.

1. Were there any ideas you've ever had for Sam 'n Max that haven't made it into a comic, video game, or some other media?

2. Do you have any other IPs that you're interested in making into some kind of medium or getting someone else to create for you in your style of art and humor?

3. On average, how long does/did it take you to finish a piece of art (say concept art for a game or the covers for DVDs)?

4. Is there anything in particular about the Sam 'n Max world that Lucas Arts or Tell Tale Games added through their video games and videos and the like that you especially like? To put it another way, what contributions to your work others writers and artists have given really impressed you?

Thank you!

• @zmally said: Not really a question. Please make a Sam & Max movie with Pixar!

Not gonna happen.

If Pixar does make a Sam & Max anything (short film or feature film), Steve would essentially have to hand over some of the rights to Disney in one fashion or another. In other words, the House of Mouse would own a large share of the Freelance Police and would start sticking their white-gloved hands in nearly everything involving them for profit. Which would mean some nasty things for TTG that I don't even want to imagine.

Or, at the very least, that's what I think would happen given the fact that everything Pixar has popped out of their studio falls under Disney's character library, including their shorts characters like Presto and Alec the Rabbit.

• @Zeek said: Or, at the very least, that's what I think would happen given the fact that everything Pixar has popped out of their studio falls under Disney's character library, including their shorts characters like Presto and Alec the Rabbit.

I'm quite sure that only applies for new, not-previously-existing properties... and Sam and Max pret-ty much already exist.

np: Autechre - IO (Mons) (Quaristice (Versions))

• In any case, I am not expecting Pixar to do anything Sam & Max related, and I'll just leave it at that.

However, I am still curious as to the answer to my original questions as it pertains to who in Pixar knows about Sam & Max.

• Hey SP, nice to meet ya! Thank you for taking the time to answer mine, and other peoples questions! I have a few questions:

1. Where does Max keep his inventory?

2. Who was the craziest Sam & Max you've ever seen and what made it so crazy?

3. Am I blue? Who are you? Can I fly?

4. Could we expect a Season 4?

5. What are some other on-going projects you are working on?

6. Besides drawing and making comics, what are some of your other intrestes?

7. Are you a fan of homestarrunner.com, and their toons?

Phew! that's all I have, for now... (Sorry for any repeated questions.) Can't wait for S&M3, You rock, and high-five!

• I notice Sam and Max seem to really love food...
    What is your favorite sandwich?

Also do you draw Sam with ice cream bars a lot as a subtle way of reminding the reader that dogs live to receive treats?... Or does Sam just really like popsicles... and there is nothing more to it?

Add Comment