User Avatar Image

ANSWERED: Q&A with... Steve Purcell!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 4.4K users

Yes. This is the awesomest thing.

Creator of Sam and Max and all around awesome guy Steve Purcell will be answering questions ongoing throughout this week! We'll be doing the questions in batches to allow for Steve's busy schedule so there's no official dates or times to speak of.

Have a life altering query? Maybe just a casual inquiry? Questions about Sam and Max, Telltale's games, or the meaning of life can all be posted here and magically answered through the powers of the internet!

WHEE! The first batch has been answered! They start right here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15956&page=6

184 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Nintendo Boy1 said:
    1. What or who inspired you to create Sam & Max?

Although I am starting to feel like a broken record, I would just like to say that Steves's brother thought of it when he was around the age of 4(dog and rabbit police officers named sam and max is not that hard to think of, although the brilliant stories that would soon come was not as simple) Although what inspired Steve to use those characters is a different story.

• @Gman5852 said: Although I am starting to feel like a broken record, I would just like to say that Steves's brother tought of it when he was around the age of 4(dog and rabbit police officers named sam and max is not that hard to think of, although the brilliant stories that would soon come was not as simple) Although what inspired Steve to use those characters is a different story.

Aw crap! I'll change it to something else. Honestly, I had no idea tha Steve's brother 'Tought' of it. Sorry :(:o

• @Didero said: The awesomeness of smoking monkeys isn't destroyed that easily, Astro Gnocci :p

The, uh, image that popped into my head wasn't the one you were intending to convey, I think.

• Good Lord, this got long ... (Sorry, Steve! Just remember, you get 10 extra cool points for each question you answer after the first three sets. Okay? Okay.)

--

It's fascinating to see how your drawing and painting style has changed over the years. Would you attribute most of that evolution to influences you've picked up from other artists? In retrospect, how much of it would you say was more unconscious than not? How much has stayed the same in your eyes?

What has the learning curve been like working in feature animation? Have you encountered anything especially challenging since working at Pixar -- the sort of challenge that continues to stick out in your mind?

Now for a sillier question: Before, you've said something along the lines of Sam being the one we could best relate to, while Max is the one we actually want to be. The thing is, if I were to choose ... I'd rather be Sam. Is that strange? Or do you think I'm just in denial and would really want to be like Max after all? :p

Are you surprised by Mac Salmon's popularity? For a side character who made his last appearance over ten years ago, he seems to have a surprising amount of staying power.

What would you do if you got your hands on a DeSoto that's good for instantaneous cross-country travel, highway surfing, demonic possession, and the ability to fly to the moon by stuffing the muffler with more match heads than I could possibly afford?

I remember reading that your favorite Sam & Max comics tend to be the shorter ones. What did you like more about those compared to most of the longer stories -- the creation process, and/or how the stories themselves played out? Any particular favorite(s) among them?

--

Phew! As others have said, thanks very much for taking the time to answer our questions. I admire you a great deal as both an artist and a creator of characters I love. Rock on, I say. Rock on. :cool:

• Alright, i am a very patient person, but Mr. Purcell has perhaps been pondering these polls for far too long, and the waiting predicament has perplexed me.

Why the "P" tongue twister? really, why?
    Oh, no reason.

Of course, I do not wish to insult Steve. Just saying that this opportunity is really freakin' cool, and the season starts in four days.

• Hello Steve, any chance of you ever doing another comic with Mike Mignola? Either writing or drawing position? I didn't realize you guys were that close until I read in an old Comics Journal recently where Mike Mignola was praising your humor timing and also that you were the best man at his wedding. :)

The comic that appeared in Batman Villians and Rusty Razorclam were both amazing and made me crave more team ups.

Also and chance you have any more comics in the pipeline Sam and Max or otherwise? I would actually like some more Toybox stories. Hell, it would be great if Telltale made a one off Toybox game.

• He should introduce the right people to get a Telltale Games Hellboy adventure game made.

• There actually already was a Hellboy adventure game, possibly it had some action, called Dogs of Night made by Cryo. I heard it wasn't very good though, so I have not ever played it.

• @syntheticgerbil said: I would actually like some more Toybox stories. Hell, it would be great if Telltale made a one off Toybox game.

I'd actually like to see if Telltale can make a game featuring the Toybox gang as well. Suda's design matches rather nicely with the TTTool's capabilities from what we've seen so far. Question is, what would be the plot?

• @Astro Gnocci said: I hope that one isn't answered.
    Learning that there's any reason behind it would ruin the whole awesomeness of the smoking monkeys for me :eek:

Took me a while to find this clip

This discussion has been closed.