User Avatar Image

Speaking of the "Good / Evil Balance"

posted by Mermaid on - last edited - Viewed by 198 users

I've just watched some EMI walkthrough video and found a comment on it which I found very interesting:

"Funny how is Escape form monkey Island, the aim is to save all the pirates from the effects of the ultimate insult and becoming too soft and submissive.
Yet in Tales of monkey Island, they need to stop the effects of the Pox of LeChuck before it turns all the pirates to hard and evil"

I've never thought of that before but it actually matches perfectly with the new found facts about the Voodoo Lady and her control of the "tides of destiny", helping / making Guybrush to do things that balance good and evil.

Also, this is the first time I realize the similarity between the giant shell and the wind machine, especially in their function as an amplifier.

Coincidence? There have been fairly few references to EMI in Tales, but there might actually be a story connection here. What do you guys think?

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Next thing you're going to tell us is that Elaine turns into a cake if you say her true name.

• @Chyron8472 said: Next thing you're going to tell us is that Elaine turns into a cake if you say her true name.

Um....no, actually I'm not.

• @metroidreborn said: It would make a lot of sense if Elaine had some incredible voodoo power hidden within her due to her connections with her family. As much as many people hated EfMI, this secret could fit in there, such as how Elaine's family were governors of Melee Island for many years and the symbol of that power unleashed voodoo power into the Ultimate Insult. LeChuck also stated he had "plans" for Elaine in the first game, obviously referring to marring her. However, now that I look back at what he said, it seems that he was hinting at there being much more planned than simply marrying her. This may have been hinting at LeChuck wanting to marry her other than having a beautiful woman at his side.

If this is true, this could also explain why he is also so hell bent on making her evil and corrupt. If he can gain control of Elaine and, by extension, the secret, he would want to make sure it is influenced by demonic power to insure it is used for his plans.

That's an interesting point! What makes it a little unlikely to me is the fact that LeChuck has never talked about those (possible) plans. Why wouldn't he? I mean, he loves to reveal his evil plots like he did at the end of TOMI. He told Guybrush about the intentions he had with the Big Whoop carnival and the roller coaster of the death, the Ultimate Insult, La Esponja Grande. Why would he never have revealed plans he has with Elaine other than just making her as a beautiful woman his bride?

On the other hand, since MI 3 -5 were not made by Ron Gilbert, the storyline might have gotten off course. So you may be right: maybe those plans would have been revealed in the "other" MI3.

• @Mermaid said: That's an interesting point! What makes it a little unlikely to me is the fact that LeChuck has never talked about those (possible) plans. Why wouldn't he? I mean, he loves to reveal his evil plots like he did at the end of TOMI. He told Guybrush about the intentions he had with the Big Whoop carnival and the roller coaster of the death, the Ultimate Insult, La Esponja Grande. Why would he never have revealed plans he has with Elaine other than just making her as a beautiful woman his bride?

On the other hand, since MI 3 -5 were not made by Ron Gilbert, the storyline might have gotten off course. So you may be right: maybe those plans would have been revealed in the "other" MI3.

Very true, but LeChuck has known that Guybrush is also in love with her. After they got married, I think it would be in LeChuck's best interest not to tell either of them the power that sleeps in Elaine for fear that in might be used against him. Guybrush is married to her afterall, so if he knew about her power, he would most likley use it to stop LeChuck once and for all. Perhaps he has truly known the Secret of Monkey Island all along and just refuse to answer it or say he doesn't know to keep it safe.

• @avistew said: Maybe LeChuck tried to seduce her, she told him to drop dead, and he's so stupid that he figured she was into dead people or something, so he became an undead to get her to say yes.

this discussion reminds me of when i was playing SOMI for the first time when i was a little kid and the shopkeeper told guybrush that the swordmaster said he could jump in the lake or something like that.

i was trying for days/weeks to get guybrush into any body of water i could find on melee island and got myself quite frustrated.

taking the dialogue literally in this case was proven to be a mistake. i always suspected it was the same for lechuck dropping dead.

• The first time I ever played SMI, I thought asking the shopkeeper to talk to Carla was just to get him out of the store.

After I bought the treasure map, the game let me wander freely through the forest, and I found her house quite by accident. It's just as well, though. Wandering like that let me find the stump joke, which I thought was hilarious.

• Bad for some though, who were confused by the whole thing.

Not that I was, I played the game on a disc version about 14 years after it's initial release.

• Yes, I've read about people having problems with that.

It never made since to me how someone could think SMI would have over at least 20 floppy diskettes. The game itself only came with, maybe four of them? It makes no sense for that not to have been a joke.

It makes me a jerk to say it, but some people are just stupid.

edit: this sort of ties in with my recent post on the "dvd drm" thread in which I wondered how many people who ask TTG for manual unlock codes are failing to unlock the game because their firewall is blocking it or because of simple user error.

• [quote=irishmile;286365]estn.jpghey estaban fealiks thinks you are a liar.
    est2t.jpg[/quote]

estaban, no! I was joking! I'm sorry!

• To be fair Mancomb Seepgood, did kind of imply that Estaban is the only pirate that bought into the story....

Add Comment