User Avatar Image

Overrated Video Games: Your Opinions

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 600 users

What game(s) have you played, that you felt got really good reviews or quite a bit of hype, but when you played it, it turned out to be boring, underimpressive, or just suck?

I've been listening to the Zelda: Twilight Princess OST (one of my favorite games) and it got me thinking. I bought a ps2slim two years ago, and since then had been looking around for good games and such when I came across a game called Shadow of the Colossus.

In reviews of this game that I read/watched, about every one I can remember said it was awesome, epic, and "kind of like Zelda with just boss battles and no item collection." Well, I bought the game from GameStop at some point and though it didn't suck exactly, I just wasn't all that impressed. Sure, there are no load times, the scenery is pretty and the colossi are fricken huge, but that's about all there is to it. At some point in the game, I stopped killing them for a while and just wandered around trying random things like standing on the horse's back and jumping into the air to grab on to a bird (which serves no purpose) just to make the game longer.

Maybe I'm underimpressed because I played Shadow of the Colossus after Twilight Princess came out (which I mention because people compare the two) when it actually was released a year before, and so I felt the graphics in Zelda were better anyway and didn't see the point in all the hype. Not to mention I was bored with Colossus's storyline, or lack thereof.

138 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, I think it's harder to ask which games aren't... a few examples:

Oblivion
    Half Life
    Half Life 2
    Halo
    Diablo II
    Warcraft III
    Portal
    BioShock

Also, funny, an "overratted" game ;):
    Deus Ex
    Hopefully Sam & Max season 3?

• I hate this word. Overrated.
    Everything's overrated.

• Pokemon D/P/P. I just don't get why those games are so "OMGBRILLIANT".

And what overrated games list is complete without the Call of Duty series?

• @Astro Gnocci said: I hate this word. Overrated.
    Everything's overrated.

Well... thanks for the input. -.-

I meant specifically, what game or games might you have personally played that you were told were fricken awesome and all that, but you just didn't like it when you actually got down to playing it.

• @Ray-The-Sun said: And what overrated games list is complete without the Call of Duty series?

Amen.

I'll add Pro Evolution Soccer, FIFA, NBA Live and Madden series to the list.

• I'd go for Halo as well, and the Final Fantasy series. ESPECIALLY 7.

Also, Ocarina of Time. Now hold on, that doesn't mean it isn't an excellent game, but when a new Zelda game comes out everyone seems to want to compare it to that one and I don't think that's fair nor do I think it should be the one to set the best example of how a Zelda game should be done.

• @PecanBlue said: I'd go for Halo as well, and the Final Fantasy series. ESPECIALLY 7.

I like 7. I DO know it has so many flaws and I can see that the main anxiety behind the game was MONEY but... Tifa's my favorite character >->

I hate 8. I totally despise 8. It's even more overrated IMO.

• @PecanBlue said: I'd go for Halo as well, and the Final Fantasy series. ESPECIALLY 7.

Also, Ocarina of Time. Now hold on, that doesn't mean it isn't an excellent game, but when a new Zelda game comes out everyone seems to want to compare it to that one and I don't think that's fair nor do I think it should be the one to set the best example of how a Zelda game should be done.

Agreed on both. I loved FF up until 7 and then didn't even play them until 12. I just didn't like 7 and it annoys me how it's the one people keep calling the best.

As for Ocarina of Time, I loved the game, and didn't think it overrated when I first played it (or second, or third), but I agree that people seem to consider it the ultimate Zelda games or something and I feel there have been better Zelda games both before and since.

• @Falanca said: I hate 8. I totally despise 8. It's even more overrated IMO.

There was an 8? I just believed it skipped from VII to IX instantly and there CERTAINLY couldn't have been a terrible game where the main character is a wussy emo who used an impossible weapon, and it CERTAINLY wouldn't have been riddled with plot holes, and the main character CERTAINLY wouldn't have died and then become a live again in a totally different location with no mention of it afterwards. I mean, a game like that would be AWFUL :rolleyes:

Super Paper Mario indefinitely. The game is ok, But it wasn't a colourful RPG like the prior two- instead, it was a gimmicky platformer.

• Halo, without a doubt. Did nothing for me.

Add Comment