User Avatar Image

Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood - Spoiler Discussion!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 453 users

Here's a place to chat about the game for those who wish to talk about the later events in the story.

I've seen a few people mentioning later-game events and also expressing a desire to talk about spoilery things, so here you go!

Note obviously that you should steer clear of this thread if you want to avoid spoilers of Chapter 4's story!

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My vote is she was killed by Jacques the monkey - but unintentionally. = P I mean, the dude's magnetic - if he was stood behind Morgan, surely her sword might be magnetically attracted to him and...

Yeah, actually, maybe not. I guess we'll find out in Chapter 5, at any rate.

• They all get a strain of the pox and survive. Simple as.

• Isn't it most likely that Morgan was 'killed' by Guybrush's hand? When DeSinge flees from his lab, he does NOT yet have the turban and the hand on his head, and neither does he when he's hunting down Elaine. Furthermore, the Pox infecting the hand is Voodoo - possibly all part of the Voodoo's Lady Plan. And of course, to be saved, the hand might again be necessary to heal Morgan...

• I loved DeSinge's death, especially the part where he did the Wilhelm scream. :D

• Might be a dumb point - but didnt greg house (house MD) ever say the same thing as Guybrush when he nearly dies "is it you mother..." because otherwise what is it a reference to - why does he say that

• @nuksies said: Might be a dumb point - but didnt greg house (house MD) ever say the same thing as Guybrush when he nearly dies "is it you mother..." because otherwise what is it a reference to - why does he say that

Maybe it's a reference to the alternate script for episode 4 of I wonder what happens in...?

Or maybe just a reference to Secret of Monkey Island's reference to Loom? ;)

• The one thing I love about Guybrush is his personality, everything that happens to him and people around him he can take with a goofy smile and a funny comment. No matter the case he would always make me laugh.

But when he finds Morgan I just saw a whole new Guybrush, he was really serious his personality just changed. The cut scene was really touching, how he turns her head and closes her eyes and takes the sword out and places it in her hands. The way he looks sad and looks of to the distance, "De Singe!" The whole mood in that room is just different from the rest of the game, everything you interact with, he just tell about them like a normal person, no funny comments or anything. (Well except maybe from the door to the Creepy room, and the skeleton). But the mood goes back to normal when he leaves the room.
    So unexpected that I get a whole new respect for Guybrush, even thought I loved him as a character before, I really love him now as his personality is evolving like that, truly amazing.

But the death of Guybrush himself was truly a beautiful and sad scene, Elaine screaming his name and him gutted saying her name, tossed like a rag doll. Disoriented thinking Elaine is his mum, and that he has washed his hands it’s so sad and random at the same time it really ads to the whole mood. Looking so lost when LeChuck is talking about the flirting going on when he wasn’t there, and looking to his wife for comfort asking her to do him the favour of kicking LeChuck’s butt for him, and then falls over dead.
    It was so heartbreaking and yet somehow Guybrush manages to put that little piece of humour in to it, just to make it all bearable.

I watched all this happen on the edge of my chair, my mouth open and tears in my eyes (even tears in my eyes as I am typing this).
    It was so dramatic yet beautiful, a very nice ending you never thought you would see in an MI game.
    Even thought the title suggests that he was going to die, I never thought it would be so dramatic as this.

I think Dominic Armato did a great job on this one, he as done a great job for giving Guybrush the personality he has, but this was something new for him and I think he did it flawlessly, giving Guybrush more depth, and a new personality you never thought you would see.

I finished the chapter past midnight, but the entire night I couldn’t sleep because I wanted to know what had happened to him, half past 5 in the morning I got up just to play for 15mins of chapter 5 before I went to work, just to see if he was ok.

• Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be done as dramatically as it was.

Even though I was fairly sure Guybrush would die in the chapter, when I saw it happen it was still one of those "... whoa." moments.

The balance between darkness and comedy was done particularly well in this chapter, as was the pacing. Quite a dramatic turning point when you go from goofing off with Stan to finding Morgan with a sword through her!

Heh, you were lucky all the chapters were out when you played it, VeronicanPlay - some of us had to wait a month to find out what had happened to Guybrush after he died! (then on release day we were all going crazy on the forums, waiting for the download to become available... good times!)

• @Scrawffler said:
    Heh, you were lucky all the chapters were out when you played it, VeronicanPlay - some of us had to wait a month to find out what had happened to Guybrush after he died! (then on release day we were all going crazy on the forums, waiting for the download to become available... good times!)

Stuff like that is half the reason that I really want to see another ToMI season soon.

• I am glad that I started when I did, otherwise I would not have been able to sleep for a month :p

Add Comment