User Avatar Image

Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Penal Zone discussion!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

penalzone.jpg

It's here, so, new thread! For the old discussion look here.

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
The Penal Zone

Trailer and stuff on the official site

Here's the official spiel: "The new season Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse is the biggest, strangest and most epic to date. As the saga begins, an otherworldy power for controlling matter and space calls to the strongest and strangest who might wield it - intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane.

Gaming's greatest dog and rabbit sleuths Sam & Max seek the power's ancient secrets, as Max gains shape shifting, teleportation, mind reading and future vision abilities for battling these foes. The saga plays out in a surreal 5 month-long symphony of mayhem that gets deeper and more twisted with each episode."

So it's out, and you guys are probably downloading or playing it! What do you think? Let's ruminate on the Penal Zone together!

Haven't played it yet? We're also rounding up some reviews over in this thread.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Completed Penal Zone. In my opinion one of the best episodes yet, the new gameplay is easy to learn and the PS3 controll scheme isn't that bad. Played it for over 6 hours before I completed it. Don't know how I managed to spend so much time, but I think I heard every dialogue and explored the new places. I also found Max's powers very fun and a clever way to add something new to the season. There was a few things I found odd, and I am sure everyone who had played through season 2 will find it out of place too.

One of the best episode in my opinion, although this episode had some of the easiest "puzzles" yet.

You couldn't click on the ground where you wanted Max to go in the other episodes either :P

• Thank you for releasing this on Steam this soon.

• why can't I click on the ground where I want Max to go ? WHY OH WHY
    monkey island had the most retarded control scheme and now Sam and Max features a little less retarded one but still. this is no action game. characters don't have to be steered like drunken sailors. Why remove a good thing. Game Design doesn't mean that you have to change stuff that works. it's the other way around.

I agree.

• My 1st episode starts with Sam and Max trapped in a spaceship with Sam making references to Maxs 'new' powers. Where's the background to this in the game? Is this correct? I thought I saw some trailer with Max aquiring his powers and Skunkape showing up at Earth with them on the ground. What gives?:cool:

• @danewsh said: My 1st episode starts with Sam and Max trapped in a spaceship with Sam making references to Maxs 'new' powers. Where's the background to this in the game? Is this correct? I thought I saw some trailer with Max aquiring his powers and Skunkape showing up at Earth with them on the ground. What gives?:cool:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not :P Keep playing and all will be revealed...

• @danewsh said: My 1st episode starts with Sam and Max trapped in a spaceship with Sam making references to Maxs 'new' powers. Where's the background to this in the game? Is this correct? I thought I saw some trailer with Max aquiring his powers and Skunkape showing up at Earth with them on the ground. What gives?:cool:

It starts in medias res. That's a verbose way of saying for "Straight into the action"

• Love the game so far but am I the only one with audio problems? Sometimes the music is so hard that you can barely hear the voices, sometimes you can't hear it at all. I'm constantly tweaking the volume settings but it doesn't seem to change it much

• I love the opening credits and the new approach on story-telling. Also, the graphics are great. So glad I pre-ordered.

• i'm just at the beginning of act 2 now and WOOOOOOOOW, look at those new shiny graphics :eek:

i pity all people who're playing this on ipad

Add Comment