User Avatar Image

Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Penal Zone discussion!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

penalzone.jpg

It's here, so, new thread! For the old discussion look here.

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
The Penal Zone

Trailer and stuff on the official site

Here's the official spiel: "The new season Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse is the biggest, strangest and most epic to date. As the saga begins, an otherworldy power for controlling matter and space calls to the strongest and strangest who might wield it - intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane.

Gaming's greatest dog and rabbit sleuths Sam & Max seek the power's ancient secrets, as Max gains shape shifting, teleportation, mind reading and future vision abilities for battling these foes. The saga plays out in a surreal 5 month-long symphony of mayhem that gets deeper and more twisted with each episode."

So it's out, and you guys are probably downloading or playing it! What do you think? Let's ruminate on the Penal Zone together!

Haven't played it yet? We're also rounding up some reviews over in this thread.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Damn ! , i didn`t see the game on the store where is the game ?

I pre-order the game but i don't know what to do if the game release .

• Aside from the technical issues, I'm getting used to season 3, and I'm starting to enjoy it. As odd as the puzzle solving is, I can't believe it actually works.

• I love the Guilder remark btw.
    I still keep one in my wallet as a good luck charm. :')

• finished it. the presentation, structure of story, how everything gets justified insided the gameworld is top-notch. even the tutorial and hints are justified. having said that (I turned off hints in the options) this is also - for me - the most easiest and shortest episode I played. it's ridiculously easy where every puzzle is completely laid out infront of you - it's justified storywise and a nice idea - but completely takes away any kind of guesswork. I played this episode on autopilot. it was more like an interactive experience than any kind of puzzlegame. yeah, you go through the motions and click every possible option, I was entertained - no doubt - some dialogues were pretty hilarious - but so easy my mum could play it. Don't get me wrong, I still like it and laughed out a few times, it did not reach the height of some season2 episodes although all around it felt much more refined and "mature" in its storytelling techniques. But the puzzling.....it felt like an afterthought and the game more like an adventure.

• Just finished it too and everything about this is right! I know that sounds like an over-reaction, but Telltale have really really hit the nail on the head this time. Looks fantastic, comedy is some of the best they've done so far, and the puzzles work very well. In fact it also feels like the closest non-comic release to the Sam & Max comics yet, including cartoons and Hit The Road. Yet it feels new and the feeling I had playing Lucasarts adventure games for the very first time is the exact same feeling I had playing this, which is a sure sign that this is a great step in the right direction to make adventure games less predictable and suitable for the hardcore adventure gamers, whilst the style, delivery and learning curve are also a great introduction to the genre.

Well done guys, you delivered far more than I expected and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series! :D

• I'm loving the way the puzzle-solving works here and I've literally fallen off my chair several times at some of the jokes.
    One thing I don't get is why people are complaining about the new controls. ToMI was abit odd at the start, but once you get used to it it's really quite good. There's no rule that says an adventure game *has* to be point and click.
    Anyway I think I'm actually going to go to bed now and continue The Penal Zone tomorrow.

• @caeska said: One thing I don't get is why people are complaining about the new controls. ToMI was abit odd at the start, but once you get used to it it's really quite good. There's no rule that says an adventure game *has* to be point and click.

This is certainly true. I wasn't a huge fan of them in ToMI, but they work really well in The Penal Zone.

• RobD?

Now that will be totally weird but... Are you Rob DenBleyker by any chance?

• I really loved the inventory! Well done guys!
    I've been a fan of the drag'n'click since TMI, and I feel like it's been perfected in this. How exciting!
    The jokes were great, the puzzles were great.
    Only thing I really had a problem with was the controls when Max used his powers, but that's just a silly thing on my end, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Add Comment