User Avatar Image

Mac: S&M3 is very laggy.

posted by TechnoTom on - last edited - Viewed by 959 users

I have a black macbook late 2008.

It lags when im on straight and narrow, and everywhere else is somewhat decent, but still laggy nonetheless.

On 1280 x 800 (lowered) and 1 Graphics.

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

it runs SOOOO smooth on the start/menu screen though.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • same here, but with a late 2008 macbook pro with the 9600 gt. i just hope sam & max is not another cheap cider conversion...

• I'm having smilar problems with frame-rate on my top of the line quad-core i7 iMac (8 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB); so it's not for lack of hardware. I ran ToMI at graphics level 9 without a problem, but 4 and above for S&M301 gives me quite a jittery gameplay. I just upgraded to 10.6.3 to see if that was the problem, but to no avail. I am running S&M at 2560x1440, though...

Judging from where I see the choppiness the most (around Straight and Narrow), I'd guess that it's something about shadows that are causing most of the issue, but the choppiness persists elsewhere.

Wait a moment, if I drop my resolution down to 1920x1080, the menu text graphics look a whole lot less 'stretched', and my performance problems disappear. Very interesting, I'll have to play like this for now.

Here's an example of the 'stretched' graphics: 2560x1440 (Be sure to zoom in)
    And the more normal graphics: 1920x1080

• Same. Early 2008 iMac (3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, 512MB 8800GT)

The intro tutorial works fine but once I get to street level the framerate drops significantly.

• Is anyone else noticing drastic difference in framerates depending on your aspect ratio? To be clear, the Street is easily the largest, most complex scene we have ever done. So it doesn't surprise me terribly that it's running more slowly than Skunkape's ship, for example.

But if changing some aspect of the resolution causes a huge framerate difference, that may be an engine bug. Of course, droping from 2560 to 1920 is a pretty big resolution drop so the framerate increase is probably just due to pushing fewer pixels.

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Telltale Staff

You're performance gains aren't due to the aspect ration, but the significantly lower resolution. The best way to improve performance is to lower resolution.

• Lowering Resolution results in just a squished picture, with no noticeable improvements in my case.

• Hmm. It seems a bit better on a second load-up.

Maybe it's a matter of textures being unpacked or some other background process on the first time through? I dunno.

• @TechnoTom said: Lowering Resolution results in just a squished picture, with no noticeable improvements in my case.

Actually, just lowered it to 800 x 600, with 1 graphics. And it can run smoothly on narrow.

Maybe it's that engine thing Kevin mentioned.

• I think I've figured it out, sort of... Maybe...

No matter what, get the choppy performance from the outset, the graphics level or if it's windowed or full screen don't matter, but could be an additional layer of poor performance if set too high. If you have poor performance, first lower the graphics detail to 6, since 7 is when the shadows kick in.

After that, if you still have poor performance, you can work around it by switching back and forth between full screen and windowed (cmd-F) once to restart or do something to get the game engine going properly, and again to get back to whatever you wanted it set as.

What i've found is that if you switch from full screen to windowed, and try to move with the keyboard, it has no effect other than to get OSX to beep at you. You have to click in order to foreground the window and then you can play. Now before you've clicked the performance has already cleaned up nicely, but I have an inkling it could possibly maybe be some wacky glitch that the game isn't properly in the foreground.
    It's either that or they're two completely unrelated things and Ive just found work around.

Speaking of unrelated, but still related, I've also encountered the occasional bug when switching from windowed to full screen, where the screen breaks into lots of squares of random gibberish (cut up image of the desktop) and starts to flicker at me. Seems to happen most with graphics levels 1 and 6.

Hope that some fine fellow can come along and fix this soon, though, and that I've been of some use to someone.

• @TechnoTom.
    It's quite likely that you're being hampered by your integrated graphics. Even so, give my switch to windowed and back trick a try at some slightly higher settings, and see if it does the trick.

Add Comment