User Avatar Image

Q&A with Jared Emerson-Johnson, Friday!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

Hear ye hear ye, Jared is coming to the forums to answer some of your music and sound related questions! Pop in to hear the answers on Friday the 2nd from 10am to 11am PST (he chose this specifically so Europeans can be awake for it, what a guy!)

Let me tell you- Jared is a superhero. He sets the tone of the world with ease, he knocks out sound effects with a single blow, he makes what we do sound AMAZING. It's a fact that Telltale sometimes hires super-human automatons, and investigations as to Jared's actual humanity are pending. Some people are just too talented.

(Fun fact: he's also super-skilled at Beatles Rock Band.)

We're open for questioning, so load 'em up and keep him busy.

182 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • General Skunkape's spaceship theme is amazing! It really reminds me of 80's sci-fi, like the Explorers or something.

• I love your music in-game. It's awesome. I was curious, how much of the music in this season was recorded with real instruments, compared to the past two seasons?

• I don't know if anyone will read this now that the game is released, but I just wanted to congratulate Jared. The music in 301 is amazing. I particularly like the way the music warps into a twisted version of itself in Max's mind. Is it just me or does the music change depending on the way you move the camera in Max-mode? That's some great sound design right there.

Needless to say, this game needs a soundtrack release.

• id have to friggen agree

im wondering if there will be something in depth on the evolution of sound of sam n max

and im SURE this will get a soundtrack release.. it has to .. right?

right??

doh

• I love the ending credits song because it actually sounds like something at the end of a TV show. It's probably the first time in a long time I keep playing the credits over and over again just to hear the music.

• @Zeek: Also I have to congratulate not only Jared but the whole TTG staff on stuff like that: The whole episode feels like a Tv show, especially now with the Narrator to drag us along, Twilight Zone-style.

• I reckon the narator is the devil

• @PressidentMax said: I reckon the narator is the devil

Where does this fit in with Jared?

• @snotsnit said: I guess this question is for the future if you ever pop back in to answer questions.

So for season 3, the whole vibe is film noir. So do you find it easy to adapt the music to any sort of style or genre? Like let's say Season 4 had a very 80's New Wave-ish vibe. Do you think you'd be able to adapt to a whole new genre easily? Also, do you prefer the transition to a new style, or do you like sticking with the same kind of style that was in Season 1 and 2?

I really did enjoy the new tonal directions that the designers took with season 3--particularly the retro-synth 70s/80s sci-fi elements. It was fun to weave that new sound into the ever expanding tonal tapestry that is the Sam and Max score.

I actually think that this common thread makes the season 3 score more of a consistent, unified body of work than either of the two previous seasons. While I also had fun with the frenetic, ever-changing musical needs of the episodes in seasons one and two, it was fun to have a bit more of a focused through-line this time around.

That said, there was certainly plenty of genre variety across the different episodes in season 3, so I was also able to feed my love of doing-new-things-all-the-time.

To answer your second question: I really do love re-imagining the familiar themes and motifs through new genres, so I'd be happy to take future scores in further different directions. I also love the "classic" Sam and Max sound, so I'd be equally happy to do more in that style. The most important thing to me--and what made season three especially fun to work on--was that the new tonal directions in the music were always directly tied to the story that was being told, so it complimented the arcs of the episodes. That's always the most important thing to me.

• @Frown said: When did you get to know about the iPad release of Season 3? :o

I am fairly certain I didn't know about it until about the same time that you all found out--I knew something was going in on that back room but I had no idea what it was (I did have my suspicions, though).

Add Comment