User Avatar Image

S&M3: Please, an option to disable film grain!

posted by juandemarco on - last edited - Viewed by 273 users

Hello,
I've just started up the first episode of the new season and I've noticed the film grain. While it can be a nice effect, some people might want to be able to turn it off. I, for one, would like to have the option to disable it as it gives me really memorable headaches (I had the same problem with Mass Effect 1, my eyes tired almost immediately, as soon as I disabled it I could play with no problems whatsoever).
Apart from that the game looks great, but this filter makes it very very difficult for me to play it...

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I second this request. It drives me nuts.

• as much as I like the effect, it could be an option

• Please give us wicked powers that let us disable the film grain forever if we wish to use them for it.

• I came here to ask for this, too. I personally find it to be a really irritating effect.

• I strongly disagree. It's a part of what makes the feel of the game. Why don't they have an option so you can give the whole game a freaking sunshiny feel? Because they want the game's style to give off a certain feel. Stop whining!

Besides, is it really that annoying? Honestly, I barely notice it. Is it more noticable at lower resolutions or something?

• I agree, I don't see the point in the film grain, is it suppose to look like it was shot on film or something? I don't see the connection to S&M if so.

• basically all video or photos have some degree of grain/noise, but as things progress it's less and less visible. The noise in S&M is supposed to make it look like it's from the 70s.

Shoot me, but if anything, I'd say it's too mild an effect.

• @FireAza said: I agree, I don't see the point in the film grain, is it suppose to look like it was shot on film or something? I don't see the connection to S&M if so.

Then you don't check out the forums that much.

It's done simply to give a film effect because all the season's paying homage to 70's scifi movies. Not to mention the whole game is played like a movie, unlike the previous seasons.

I play in quality setting 3 and 1024x768 resolution and... no it never bothers me either. "I" can't see the point why so many people are complaining about it.

• I play the game on my iMac 27 i5 at 2560x1440 with quality set to 7 (or 6? I don't recall) and it *does* bother me, exactly as it did with Mass Effect. I do understand that it has a meaning, but since it can indeed be bothersome (and, in the end, the game does not suffer without it) there should be an option to disable it. It's not that I want the game to have a sunshine effect all over it, I just don't want to have to shut the game down after 20 minutes because my eyes can't take it anymore.
    It's shouldn't be an issue for Telltale to get a patch out to disable it, and it's not that I'm complaining because I like to, I do because it really makes it difficult for me to enjoy a game that I've been looking forward to for quite some time now.

Cheers,
    Juan

• @Falanca said: I play in quality setting 3 and 1024x768 resolution and... no it never bothers me either. "I" can't see the point why so many people are complaining about it.

Because the grain effect is only really noticable at higher quality settings. You're probably only seeing a very mild effect.

Add Comment