User Avatar Image

S&M S3E1 Could not initialize Direct3D

posted by Maui on - last edited - Viewed by 745 users

Hi there,

I just wanted to start playing my The Penal Zone...

But all i get is:
"Could not initialize Direct3D" and a white Screen

Specs:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor
8192MB RAM
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (1GB)
Windows 7 64bit

I have enclosed my DxDiag.txt
Please help me so that I can finally play S&M again :(

Greetings,

Maui :(

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I had the same Direct3D issue when trying to run S&M S3E1. 7 Ultimate, Radeon HD 4800, 2 displays, latest directx and display drivers. It only worked when I disabled one of my monitors.

• @DjNDB said: Have you tried updating your graphics driver?
    Can you post a dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Here's the file....

Thanks

• Same as everyone else here. Game will not init with dual screens (extended desktop in my case) enabled. Disable one and it loads fine.

:-(

I should have bought the ipad version... :-( These multi configuration pc's are just getting downright silly! Heh.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@bigoldearl said: Here's the file....

Card name: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 7/21/2006 18:11:46, 48128 bytes

You are running some really old graphics drivers. Try this one.

• :( i wnated to start the demo auf it but it didn´t work out. I get the same error
    i just downloaded the new driver please help me
    (here the dxdiag)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Deny said: :( i wnated to start the demo auf it but it didn´t work out. I get the same error
    i just downloaded the new driver please help me
    (here the dxdiag)

Try setting your display color depth to 32 bit.

You can also install the latest Realtek HDA Audio driver.

• @DjNDB said: You are running some really old graphics drivers. Try this one.

Updated and it does start but man is it lagtastic. Probably should have just bought the PS3 version. Thanks for the help.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@bigoldearl said: Updated and it does start but man is it lagtastic. Probably should have just bought the PS3 version. Thanks for the help.

That was to be expected, because you just have a slow integrated graphics chip.
    You can try setting the graphics quality to 1 and if that's not enough reduce the resolution.

Also, according to the specs your System has a PCIe x16 slot. That means you can upgrade your graphics card and get the game running at good performance. Even really cheap recent graphics cards will do a lot better.

• @DjNDB said: Try setting your display color depth to 32 bit.

You can also install the latest Realtek HDA Audio driver.

okay to set the display to 32 bit helped. I thought i did that before playing. (I can´t use 32bit regular, because my dispaly starts to flicker:mad:)
    Thnaks
    Deny

• I have the same problem. All of Telltale's other games have been rock-solid, and so, hopefully they release a patch soon.

I found that if you disable monitors like others have done, the game works fine. If you are content with changing the game so that it plays in a window, then you can re-enable the other monitors and play the game normally.

While I am a little disappointed with this bug, the game now plays well for me (in a window), and so far, it is just as good as the other adventures.

(Specs include triple monitor setup with ati 5850, so it's either a multi-monitor or an ati issue)

Add Comment