User Avatar Image

Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

posted by ATMachine on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

Dear Telltale,

I really hate to be such a misanthrope, but this is something I felt had to be addressed.

It seems that on the PS3 version of The Penal Zone, when you start up a second playthrough you get access to a new psychic power: the Nutrition Specs. These allow you to see intriguing new visions throughout the game.

Yet this bonus content is ONLY available on the PS3.

For shame, Telltale.

I am a die-hard PC gamer. I have never been able to "get the hang" of consoles, no matter how much I've tried. I've watched helplessly as big game companies abandoned the PC market, one by one, and transferred all their focus to the console world.

I thought Telltale was unique in placing so much of its efforts on the PC platform. This pleased me deeply, and cemented my love of your games.

When TOMI and then Sam and Max switched to direct control, I assumed it was because of the reasons Telltale stated, that it made it easier to construct the games' environments. Some naysayers claimed it was really because the company wanted to put the games on consoles, but I ignored them.

Then, in the promotion leading up to the release of The Penal Zone, the PS3 version was the only version featured in advertising. Again, I assumed this was because the PS3 was a new platform for Telltale, so you wanted to show it off as much as possible.

Now I find that Telltale has put out The Devil's Playhouse on PS3 with exclusive, extra-cool bonus content that the PC version lacks. This is something I had never expected would happen, and as a "console-illiterate" gamer, it pains me greatly. Moreover, it casts a new and uglier shadow over the previous events I mentioned above.

You've disappointed me, Telltale. I've learned you're just like every other game company: eager to move to the console market, and willing to shaft PC gamers in the process.

Please, prove me wrong in the future.

EDIT: So, maybe it's not so exclusive after all? Great! Mea culpa, I'm sorry, je suis desolé.

The lesson we can learn from this, I think, is that poor communication kills. I went off in a moment of anger and posted an ill-thought-out rant on these forums, but I wouldn't have done so if Telltale had cleared up the exact nature of the Penal Zone bonus content sometime earlier. Blame all around! ;)

221 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@ATMachine said: You're right. I was pretty livid when I wrote the initial post, and it shows. I sound a lot angrier and more enraged than I intended to. In retrospect, I probably hurt several people's feelings, and I ought to have waited and calmed down a bit before posting. I apologize if I came off as rather.... unhinged.

D'aww... welcome back to sanity. Group hug! :D

• @ATMachine said: You're right. I was pretty livid when I wrote the initial post, and it shows. I sound a lot angrier and more enraged than I intended to. In retrospect, I probably hurt several people's feelings, and I ought to have waited and calmed down a bit before posting. I apologize if I came off as rather.... unhinged.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, but I was sorely disappointed by what seemed to me at the time to be an unfair apportioning of bonus content. It appeared to me that I had been duped into paying for the PC version, a game that was in hindsight inferior to the PS3 version, which contained hitherto-unadvertised, and what I believed to be exclusive, bonus content. Again, to repeat, the lack of prior communication on Telltale's part is key here.

I do love Telltale--again, they're my absolute favorite games company--so the perception (however ill-founded) that they are taking my money for a PC game, while giving me less gameplay than console gamers get, is all the more wounding because of how much I like you guys. Call me a jilted lover.

Okay, so your not mad anymore. But can you keep the signature you just deleted about Chuck Jordan? It was quite amusing. ;)

• My only issue with the disparity between versions is that I don't get access to the preorderer's forum as a preorderer on the PS3. I don't even want the upcoming discounts in the store, etcetera etcetera, but the interview with Steve Purcell is rather enticing. Like, I could send a screencap of my preorder receipt on PSN if Telltale could help a brother out? No pressure, obviously :) I just didn't quite understand that the PSN version didn't have all the fancy bonuses when I got it.

• as a fellow die hard telltale fan . .and old school pc game fan.. as well as console lover

this new sam n max makes me want to VOMIT due to how console it is..

not meant for pc.. im really really sad i bought it..

the humor isnt lost but, to own it on the pc is pointless esp when the controls are even mapped with the console controller..

tsk tsk..

im thinking of canceling my order of merch.. but i cant undo the game order.. and that is what i want undone.. i dont even want to bother with the rest of this console crud..

ew ew ew ew ew

and on top of this you make exclusives.. .. these better release later or riots may indeed insue.. as i cant justify paying for sam n max on every system just to get future bonus's

sheesh.. turning out to be the conglomerate you grew to hate people.. stooop

• @Kaldire said: im thinking of canceling my order of merch.. but i cant undo the game order.. and that is what i want undone.. i dont even want to bother with the rest of this console crud..

Ask for a refund. I personally think that this is silly, when the direct from Telltale PC crowd continue to get the best service, the best extras, and the most direct attention. In fact, mouse and keyboard controls get their own UI, with the inventory and cursor acting as throwbacks to Hit the Road.

• Kaldire, you CAN control the game with just the mouse.

• @Kaldire said: as a fellow die hard telltale fan . .and old school pc game fan.. as well as console lover

this new sam n max makes me want to VOMIT due to how console it is..

not meant for pc.. im really really sad i bought it..

the humor isnt lost but, to own it on the pc is pointless esp when the controls are even mapped with the console controller..

tsk tsk..

im thinking of canceling my order of merch.. but i cant undo the game order.. and that is what i want undone.. i dont even want to bother with the rest of this console crud..

ew ew ew ew ew

Sorry, but in my opinion the controls are the best TTG have done so far. The ToMI controls was far better than any point & click could ever be, and they have come a really long way since then. The controls are amazing and they don't make me think about consoles at all. The gamepad support is really good from what I understand and many PC games have had that for years.
    Sam & Max will always be a PC game to me anyway, I'll never be able to imagine S&M or Monkey Island on a Wii or PS3, that would just be weird.

• While you guys were hating on ATM for posting this, I do have to somewhat agree with what he said.

Lookie, Telltale-bought S&Ms were:
    -$5 more expensive than PS3
    -not getting TF2 items
    -not getting the nutrition specs thinga-majig
    -not being released as early as the ipad version

Enough reason to confuse someone. Now, before you start flaming me, let's start protecting Telltale.

-the $5 off was to encourage PS3 guys because we get the DVD
    -we did eventually get TF2 items (and the Penal Zone steam version!)
    -we're apparently getting the nutrition specs thing
    -well, I don't really know how to protect the ipad thing...

And here it is from another perspective.
    PS3 users didn't get:
    -TF2 items
    -DVD
    -early release

And we're getting their exclusive.

My point is, everyone has a reason to outrage here, pretty much. And why would one do that? Telltale is an awesome company and that's precisely why. I bought from the Telltale store because I thought that maybe they'd get more money if I buy direct. I preordered because I trusted them. And then all sorts of stuff came up - TF2, the ps3 exclusive. I was confused - Telltale would never want to screw me! Right...? I waited and I got my answer - no, they would not.

But ATM had every reason to be worried - with all the EA, Activision, and most notably Ubisoft things going on. PC gamers are often getting screwed.
    And shame on you, Chuck, for posting what you posted. No matter in what way he posted it, ATM had every right to ask for an explanation.

Because it did look like you were turning to an evil company, in a way. Sorry (as a community) for spoiling the surprise, though.

With that said, some of you may be confused with what I think. And I think that Telltale is an awesome company, who jumped at every opportunity to add some content and, wanting to give us a surprise, accidentally made some of us angry because we didn't know of the said surprise.

Personally, I think no one is to blame here. I just wanted to say that.

EDIT:
    Crap, that's my first post here?! Darnit, now I'm *certainly* going to be taken seriously...

• @Rather Dashing said: Ask for a refund. I personally think that this is silly, when the direct from Telltale PC crowd continue to get the best service, the best extras, and the most direct attention. In fact, mouse and keyboard controls get their own UI, with the inventory and cursor acting as throwbacks to Hit the Road.

afte playing penal zone (and before) i have to agree with Kaldire. it's horrible (well for me horrible, obviously not for others). I'm still playing point and click (by clicking only on objects), but am forced to move the camera to use direct control and try to navigate around obstacles (the grate in front of meesta pizza comes to mind as a very annoying one) while holding the button, instead of just clicking once.
    to me (as for kaldire) it really is holding PC gamers back to compromise with console gamers.

but anyway, i think i've said this enough times, i've seen enough times that the majority apparently doesn't care or even prefers it, and this isn't even this topics ... topic

@Rather Dashing said: -the $5 off was to encourage PS3 guys because we get the DVD

wait, what? it's cheaper? but what about those that don't care about hte DVD nor have consoles? and those not in the US who have to pay a LOT as postage?

@Rather Dashing said: -well, I don't really know how to protect the ipad thing...

It's really expensive and is disliked by many (though most bought it anyway :P), i'll give them this then.

• @Dandi8 said: While you guys were hating on ATM for posting this, I do have to somewhat agree with what he said.

Lookie, Telltale-bought S&Ms were:
    -$5 more expensive than PS3
    -not getting TF2 items
    -not getting the nutrition specs thinga-majig
    -not being released as early as the ipad version

Enough reason to confuse someone. Now, before you start flaming me, let's start protecting Telltale.

-the $5 off was to encourage PS3 guys because we get the DVD
    -we did eventually get TF2 items (and the Penal Zone steam version!)
    -we're apparently getting the nutrition specs thing
    -well, I don't really know how to protect the ipad thing...

And here it is from another perspective.
    PS3 users didn't get:
    -TF2 items
    -DVD
    -early release

And we're getting their exclusive.

My point is, everyone has a reason to outrage here, pretty much. And why would one do that? Telltale is an awesome company and that's precisely why. I bought from the Telltale store because I thought that maybe they'd get more money if I buy direct. I preordered because I trusted them. And then all sorts of stuff came up - TF2, the ps3 exclusive. I was confused - Telltale would never want to screw me! Right...? I waited and I got my answer - no, they would not.

But ATM had every reason to be worried - with all the EA, Activision, and most notably Ubisoft things going on. PC gamers are often getting screwed.
    And shame on you, Chuck, for posting what you posted. No matter in what way he posted it, ATM had every right to ask for an explanation.

Because it did look like you were turning to an evil company, in a way. Sorry (as a community) for spoiling the surprise, though.

With that said, some of you may be confused with what I think. And I think that Telltale is an awesome company, who jumped at every opportunity to add some content and, wanting to give us a surprise, accidentally made some of us angry because we didn't know of the said surprise.

Personally, I think no one is to blame here. I just wanted to say that.

EDIT:
    Crap, that's my first post here?! Darnit, now I'm *certainly* going to be taken seriously...

Sir, you sound like an eminently reasonable, moderate, and thoughtful person. Those are things we will never tolerate in this community! :p ;)

Add Comment