User Avatar Image

Monsters Inc. sequel announced

posted by Pinchpenny on - last edited - Viewed by 893 users

The BBC is reporting that Disney have announced a sequel to Monsters Inc.

The animated follow-up will be released on 16 November 2012, Disney chairman Rich Ross revealed.

Featuring the voices of Billy Crystal and John Goodman, Monsters Inc made more than $525m (£342m) worldwide.

It is not known if its director Pete Doctor - who went on to make the Oscar-winning Up - will direct its sequel.

I'm pretty excited for this. I know 2012 is a long way away, and there are no other details known, but Monsters Inc. is probably one of my favourite Pixar films and I think I can trust them not to screw it up.

The article also continues to say:

Another Pixar film, The Bear and the Bow, is to renamed Brave and have its release put back from December 2011 to 15 June 2012.

...which I think is a bit odd as they'll have two films coming out within the space of around five months.

What do you think, Pixar fans?

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm thinking, oh no! I can't think of a single Disney sequel that didn't undermine the original in some way, or at the very least was much, much less good.

And Monsters, Inc is one of my fav Pixar, and its ending was perfect. I'd rather have it left as it is.
    I'll wait and see what they do with it though. If Boo is an adult or a teenager for instance, it could be interesting. Also, seeing if there is more awareness of the Monster world. Maybe there are even more contacts between the two.

Still, my first reflex is to be very sad about it. I hope I'm wrong and that it will be the first amazing Disney sequel.

• @avistew said: I'm thinking, oh no! I can't think of a single Disney sequel that didn't undermine the original in some way, or at the very least was much, much less good.

I liked better Toy Story 2 than Toy Story...

• Another Sequel? It seems that since disney bought pixar, their influence is spreading (toy story 3, Cars 2, and now Monsters inc. 2) The story was wrapped up nicely, the monsters turned good. What possible storyline could justify a sequel and not seem pointless?

At least it can't be as bad as the Fox & the hound 2, right?

• @GinnyN said: I liked better Toy Story 2 than Toy Story...

Well I didn't :p But I do think it was an okay sequel, better than most. Still I thought the story as better left as is. It just felt too much like "this time it's Woody who's been lost/kidnapped rather than Buzz, and Buzz who needs to go rescue him! And we're gonna find Buzz a love interest because he doesn't have one yet!"

I just get annoyed that sequels seem to often be the same thing again or the same thing backwards, or worse, the same thing again/backwards, but with the kids of the previous characters.

When it's an actual story rather than a "let's find a way to bring these characters back" it just works much better.

• @GinnyN said: I liked better Toy Story 2 than Toy Story...

I agree. I also cannot wait for Toy Story 3.

Back on topic, it's not a sequel I would have expected but I'm rarely disappointed by anything that says "Made by Pixar", so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• I'm thinking "Ugh". They take a step forward toward making legitimately good film in Up, and then they pull ANOTHER sequel. Cars 2 was bad enough. I thought Pixar had a sequels-are-generally-bad policy.

• They do. That's why they've only made one so far. But they've always said that they'd be willing to make sequels to any of their films if they found a good enough story for it. And with their track record, I'm willing to have some faith that they've put together good stories for these.

• I'd rather see more original stuff, less sequels. This is disappointing. I liked Monsters, Inc., but I'm not sure how often I'd like to re-visit those characters.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: They do. That's why they've only made one so far. But they've always said that they'd be willing to make sequels to any of their films if they found a good enough story for it. And with their track record, I'm willing to have some faith that they've put together good stories for these.

Considering that I thought that "Cars" and "Monsters' Inc" were particularly weak stories, I don't have much faith in their sequels.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: They do. That's why they've only made one so far.

Wait... Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Toy story 3... How is that only one?

Add Comment