User Avatar Image

Monsters Inc. sequel announced

posted by Pinchpenny on - last edited - Viewed by 831 users

The BBC is reporting that Disney have announced a sequel to Monsters Inc.

The animated follow-up will be released on 16 November 2012, Disney chairman Rich Ross revealed.

Featuring the voices of Billy Crystal and John Goodman, Monsters Inc made more than $525m (£342m) worldwide.

It is not known if its director Pete Doctor - who went on to make the Oscar-winning Up - will direct its sequel.

I'm pretty excited for this. I know 2012 is a long way away, and there are no other details known, but Monsters Inc. is probably one of my favourite Pixar films and I think I can trust them not to screw it up.

The article also continues to say:

Another Pixar film, The Bear and the Bow, is to renamed Brave and have its release put back from December 2011 to 15 June 2012.

...which I think is a bit odd as they'll have two films coming out within the space of around five months.

What do you think, Pixar fans?

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @avistew said: Wait... Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Toy story 3... How is that only one?

Only Toy Story 2 has actually been released at this time. I thought it was a rather weak argument too.

I guess they just got three REALLY GOOD STORIES in a row for established franchises.

• @avistew said: Wait... Toy Story 2, Cars 2 and Toy story 3... How is that only one?

I think he means only one has been released so far. Considering it will be only four sequels in the 23 year history of the company, I'd say it is still rare for them. Besides, there is still that Bear and the Bow movie and the Newt thing coming, so there are still original stories :). I personally don't care about Cars 2, since Cars is one of only two Pixar movies I don't really care for, the other being A Bugs Life. This is kind of funny though, because I just saw part of Monsters Inc, on TV earlier today.

• Brave sounds awesomesauce.

Newt- meh.

Cars 2- Never particularly cared for the first one.

Monsters Inc. 2 - HELLS TO THE YES

From this point on is me rambling about stuff I hope is/isn't announced as well:

Ratatouille 2 - No. For the love of god Pixar, don't go back to this very average series

A Bug's Life 2 - YESYESYESYESYES

The Incredibles 2 - Indifferent.

WALL-E 2 - I really liked Wall-E, but no, no sequel. Ever.

Finding Nemo 2 -See above.

And I still haven't seen Up. Shame on me.

• The Cars franquise is becoming for the boys what the Disney Princess are for the girls, so, that's the explanation for the Cars Sequel. Toy Story 3 I think is mostly because the whole story of Disney producing the movie anyway without Pixar, when the contract was about to expire, and I suppose is part of the deal of the adquision.

Monster Inc 2 doesn't have an explanation for me, though. I loved the movie, but I don't see a reason for a sequel. Explanation in the way of "I can understand why they are doing that". If I'm agree (I'm not agree with a Car Sequel) is other stuff.

I would like to see Disney producing at least the Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made though, but that's not part of the discussion ^^U

@StLouisRibs said: Ratatouille 2 - No. For the love of god Pixar, don't go back to this very average series

Wait. THAT'S my favorite movie!

• Oh, I see. Considering they're planned and have been worked on, I think they count.

Anyways, I realise they're not making sequels for every single thing, but I feel that they're still making more than "only if we find a very good story that happens to fit" would call for.

Anyway, I'll wait to see what the sequel is actually about. Maybe they do have a good story for it, after all.

• @GuybrushWilco said: I think he means only one has been released so far. Considering it will be only four sequels in the 23 year history of the company.

More like:

23 Year History: 1 sequel

Next Three Years: At Least Three Sequels

• @GinnyN said: I would like to see Disney producing at least the Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made though, but that's not part of the discussion ^^U

From the linked article:

Disney is also to make a new Muppets movie, Ross confirmed on Thursday.

• I know, but start doing it. Not just say they will be doing it. The movie was announced when they announced the New Pirates of the Caribbean last year.

• I think over the years pixar have just got better and better. There's no way they could stuff this up! I recon a monsters inc. 2 would be superb!

Yay for the muppets movie too!

Add Comment