User Avatar Image

Countdown to episode 2

posted by aHartzell on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

Hi, all. This is Andy Hartzell, writer and lead designer for episode two of "The Devil's Playhouse." As you can see from my pitiful post history, I haven't properly acquired the forum habit yet. But I promise to visit regularly for at least the next month or two.

So let's see...what can I tell you about the upcoming installment? You know it's called "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak", and you've guessed that it involves the mysterious objects that were revealed in the final moments of "The Penal Zone". I can tell you that it's going to be a big episode and a twisty one, a tale that ranges widely in time and space. Like episode 1, this one throws a few new ingredients into the Telltale stew, but the flavor of this one is a bit different. Less oregano, more...cumin. And clove.

There, is that enigmatic enough? Please feel free to post any questions or speculations you may have, and I promise to respond promptly with cryptic non-answers.

390 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    aHartzell Telltale Staff

joseppey:

1. will there be time travel in this episode?

Not time travel, no. But we found a different way to mess with chronology...you won't quite be taking a straight line from beginning to end.

2. Will telaportation make an appearance in this episode or will it be gone like the future vision?

This episode features all-new toys.

3. How many new toys will there be?

Two or three, depending on how you count them.

JusSonic, mathman77 and Strong Max: I'm not going to answer all your questions, because I don't want to give too much away. You will be encountering some returning favorites in episode two...not necessarily the characters you referenced. I don't know when we'll have a trailer up.

Joop: I think our animators would love to have a guy squashed between buildings...it would save them a lot of work. But he'll have to be deferred to a later episode.

Bruno83: It's a good idea...I'll pass it along to the core tech team.

Strong Max: People are always making me cut things. That's the nature of a collaborative form like videogames. It's never just arbitrary, though...there are always reasons for cutting, most of them good ones. Sometimes there are technical limitations, sometimes it's a question of getting the game done by deadline. Occasionally an idea is just a step or two over the line, and I have to be reined in. This happens more often with a genteel franchise like "Wallace & Gromit" than a freewheeling franchise like "Sam & Max." But I'll make a confession: the original design for "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak" contained a puzzle that was a little too disgusting for Steve Purcell himself. I hated to lose it, but you can't argue with the Creator.

lombre: I'm having a really hard time imagining what a cross between Satan's and Harry Moleman's voice would sound like...

Hayden:

Are the Soda Poppers well-and-truly gone? I very much hope so.

Me too!

I take it this billboard is definitely related to 'The Tomb of Sammun-Mak', yes? And are you aware of the misspelling of 'Pharaoh'?

As a matter of fact, that's from a different episode. And...um...of course! We misspelled it on purpose!

Will Skun-ka'pe return (are you allowed to answer this)?

Maybe. To both questions.

Have you got an effective and compelling cliff-hanger ready for the end of the episode?

Hell yeah! We've got a cliffhanger that will leave you gasping!

• @aHartzell said: But I'll make a confession: the original design for "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak" contained a puzzle that was a little too disgusting for Steve Purcell himself. I hated to lose it, but you can't argue with the Creator.

Aaaaaw... will we hear about this one after 302's release?

• We've already learned the background story how Bluster Blaster got his (ahem) A.I. - any chance we'll get more backstory on the other C.O.P.S. members this episode? (Or, at least, this season?)

np: Autechre - d-sho qub (Oversteps)

• @Hassat Hunter said: Aaaaaw... will we hear about this one after 302's release?

I second this. Even if it's really that disgusting I will still find out! Besides the Internet is full of things best left unseen/unknown anyway so what's one more haunting image going to change. ;)

• @Harukuro said: I second this. Even if it's really that disgusting I will still find out! Besides the Internet is full of things best left unseen/unknown anyway so what's one more haunting image going to change. ;)

I third this. I actually wanted to ask that here, but two people were ahead of me! I'd really love to know! Just don't tell us before Episode 2 is released.

@Harukuro said: Joop: I think our animators would love to have a guy squashed between buildings...it would save them a lot of work. But he'll have to be deferred to a later episode.

Oh, you guys just love to make me wait here, don't ya?... buying all your stuff... waiting... for the one true shining moment... of guy crushed between buildings...

• @The Highway said: spoiler tags, please. although most of us already know this, some people haven't played season 2, so they don't know about stinky yet.

I think Season two is a bit far back for spoiler tags

• I think if you haven't played any of the previous seasons, you won't get some of the jokes, like the one Momma Bosco says about the extra $15 Million "some idiots" gave her son.

• @Zeek said: I think if you haven't played any of the previous seasons, you won't get some of the jokes, like the one Momma Bosco says about the extra $15 Million "some idiots" gave her son.

That one was funny.

• User Avatar Image
    MRN

@Joop said: I third this. I actually wanted to ask that here, but two people were ahead of me! I'd really love to know! Just don't tell us before Episode 2 is released.

Fourth this, pwease tell us, but only after 302 :rolleyes:

• @MRN said: Fourth this, pwease tell us, but only after 302 :rolleyes:

I fifth this (is this even a correct sentence and how long can we go with this?) ;)

Add Comment