User Avatar Image

Would you like to see a Monkey Island Cartoon series?

posted by Wolfstar27 on - last edited - Viewed by 542 users

I saw on the Telltales Site that they sell Sam & Max cartoon series, and i was wondering what other people opinion is,if they make a cartoon series of Monkey Island,BUT not making it a kids show,but aiming it at an older audience?

do you think its a good idea?

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Wolfstar27 said: well i couldnt find the recent post on this topic,so ill i thought ill post it again in my old thread, but i saw this short french cartoon and it appeared in the game Heavy Rain, but when i first saw this i thought, it looks like Monkey Island, and it looks like Curse style animation, but check out the video and see what you think

http://www.pyrats.net/movie.html

That takes Disney off the list. Which other major studio still does 2D animation?

• well only ones i can think of are Japanese Anime studios, but Dreamworks might be able to have a crack at it, although Steven Speilberg did atempt a Monkey Island movie in the first place, (for people who dont know,Speilberg owns dreamworks)

• @MusicallyInspired said: I personally don't see Monkey Island as something that could have random stories.

Really? I think it'd would just find. I mean, surely Guybrush has gone on smaller adventures, in search for less important treasures and fought lesser enemies than LeChuck. An animated series would be almost perfect for showing these adventures. Plus, they could create an overall story arc for the season anyway, or just make two or three-part episodes.

• @Hayden said: Really? I think it'd would just find. I mean, surely Guybrush has gone on smaller adventures, in search for less important treasures

Small Whoop?

• i don't like the sam&max cartoon from fox that much, too childish, strange voices, where's this useless geek-girl coming from and so on, so no.

if they'd stick exactly to the franchise... maybe.. but if they rape it like sam&max.. no...

• Sam in the cartoon series was played by the same actor who was King Koopa in the Mario cartoons.

• I think yeah it could work, (if it's done well) think like Majus' animations are really awesome, it would be like that.... but longer... I guess...

• Although i like Majus's "i wonder happens" series, no disrespect to the guy, but i dont think the animation would be taken seriously in a mainstream audience, cause at the end of the day it wont be just us fans watching the series,it will be opening the series to a new audience who have never heard of Monkey Island and hopefully bring in a new generation to the series like what tales and the special editions are doing,so it needs to be a strong series, and id pefer to see Monkey Island did in similar animation as that Pyrats video

• I'd probably give it a go, but personally I voted now because I'd just see that as ruining the MI franchise, turning it into a cash cow.

Sam & Max I believe were a cartoon and comic series before the game was developed, whereas as far as I'm aware Monkey Island wasn't - it got its fan base via being a game, as opposed to S&M which was already pretty successful, and the gaming aspect of that franchise only helped launch it to a new audience - that's how I got into it.

So, to sum up, while I said I'd give it a go I really wouldn't want it to happen in the first place. No point overkilling it IMO.

That said, IWWHI was a great series to accompany the games, and they always made me chuckle so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm currently imagining.

• @Wolfstar27 said: Although i like Majus's "i wonder happens" series, no disrespect to the guy, but i dont think the animation would be taken seriously in a mainstream audience, cause at the end of the day it wont be just us fans watching the series,it will be opening the series to a new audience who have never heard of Monkey Island and hopefully bring in a new generation to the series like what tales and the special editions are doing,so it needs to be a strong series, and id pefer to see Monkey Island did in similar animation as that Pyrats video

It's called traditional animation. But for a TV series, the only way to go is limited animation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8jKPr4y_4&feature=related

Add Comment