User Avatar Image

Why episode 6 is my least favorite episode this season

posted by matan on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

(THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER)

Hi,

Sorry for spoiling the fun, but I just wanted to point out the reasons that made me like this episode a bit less than the rest:

1) I didn't like being able to USE max as a hint system. This is because (a) I think it's weird to be able to ask Max "Can you give me a hint?" - makes you feel like you're playing a game. It made me feel like Max wasn't really another character but rather just an object meant to give you hints (by the way, this also disturbed me in CSI). (b) I'm a very weak person, and when there's a hint system around, I wound up using it and hating myself afterwards.
Also, I liked the fact that Max had different dialog options based on the location, and it's too bad he stopped having those.

2) I think some of the puzzles this time were a bit unfair (i.e, I was stuck a few times, and when I accidently solved the puzzle I didn't bang my head and said - how didn't I think of that!?)

Specifically:

I) the antenna has been there forever and there was no reason to suspect we could take it this time.

II) There was nothing that hinted that we should make Leonard throw up. When Sam used the throwing up thingy on most characters, he just said "I don't want to see him throw up", and there was just no reason to suspect Leonard had that deed inside him (unless I missed something)

3) Just a tiny grump - in this episode, for some reason, I got kinda annoyed with getting stuck into Max while walking (the wheeeee thing). Last episodes it was cute, but this time for some reason Max just kept getting in my way all the time.

Just wanted to comment that despite those three things, the episode was still pretty good, and the fact that it's my least favorite just goes to show how great this season was :D

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I prefer the way the hints worked before... :P
    And I also enjoyed when you had different dialogs at specific location, instead of that random stuff. But I guess that you can’t please everyone…

Other than that, great episode guys!

• @fajerkaos said: I prefer the way the hints worked before... :P
    And I also enjoyed when you had different dialogs at specific location, instead of that random stuff. But I guess that you can’t please everyone…

I miss those too, but at least it makes it less stressful for me to click on the damn rabbit to hear something new in every new location.

• @Emily said: A question for those who don't like hints - would you feel better about it if you could turn them off? (i.e. You uncheck "hints" on the option screen and if it's not checked, the "I could use a hint" dialogue line isn't visible to you.)

If you mean the Bone way, then no.. As on the Cow race, I was stuck for a long time and was desperate for a hint system. Of course, the game DOES have a hint system but I had disabled it because I hated the way the game nagged me on and on for every single thing. Like when I see a new action icon, I get a full screen interruption explaining what the eye icon might possibly mean (which, after playing the 1st through, was obvious).

Also I don't like the fact the game is less of a game because I choose so. Since even the "I need a hint" things gave entertaining answers, I found myself unable NOT to click on them (and for the same reason I would not be able to disable it). I think what you really need, is a rewording. It's the "I need a hint" phrase that turns most people off. They feel inferior clicking such a link (as it "hints" to the player that they are not able to solve it without the help of the game). So some more subtle ways of saying the same thing would work a little bit better. Some suggestion have already been presented here in the forums, such as "Hey, are we stuck or what?" or some other ways like asking for Maxs observations about something (this would be an intresting mechanic in itself, as everyone is intrested in Maxs opinions about stuff, and if some of them happen to be of the helping kind, I don't think people would mind so much).

• I overlooked the deed thing as a joke at first too, but in the end it made me giggle. Other than that... nope... didn't have too much of an issue with a lot of the puzzles. Max DID keep getting in the way though.. I was like "damnit max move your fat head!"

The hint thing, I prefered the old way of doing it with sam whining about not being able to do something.. it was a little more subtle I feel.. but that's about my only problem.

• If the episode had allowed me to make everyone puke, I would have figured the Leonard puzzle out quite quickly. Being that everything in the closet have been novelties in the past few episodes, it didn't really cross my mind until I asked max. I do think it would have added to the episode had I been able to make EVERYONE puke.
    (especially superball.)

excellent episode though

• @matan said:
    1) I didn't like being able to USE max as a hint system. This is because (a) I think it's weird to be able to ask Max "Can you give me a hint?" - makes you feel like you're playing a game. It made me feel like Max wasn't really another character but rather just an object meant to give you hints (by the way, this also disturbed me in CSI). (b) I'm a very weak person, and when there's a hint system around, I wound up using it and hating myself afterwards.
    Also, I liked the fact that Max had different dialog options based on the location, and it's too bad he stopped having those.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. I did use the hints and didn't find them helpful TBH. Each time what the hint gave me was already what I had in mind. Helpful in making sure my lateral thinking was on track but I did find it a little condescending. Perhaps if the hints had been more obscure? Don't know what to make of it really but I did prefer the variable dialogs dependent on Max's location as opposed to the hints.

2) I think some of the puzzles this time were a bit unfair (i.e, I was stuck a few times, and when I accidently solved the puzzle I didn't bang my head and said - how didn't I think of that!?)

Specifically:

I) the antenna has been there forever and there was no reason to suspect we could take it this time.

This was the one thing that foxed me :( If I'd wandered around enough I probably would have clocked it but something didn't smell right about the fact that you haven't always been able to interact with the coat hanger. I had to refer to Dangermouse's hint thread to overcome this one :(

II) There was nothing that hinted that we should make Leonard throw up. When Sam used the throwing up thingy on most characters, he just said "I don't want to see him throw up", and there was just no reason to suspect Leonard had that deed inside him (unless I missed something)

Didn't have a problem with this and it was one of the times when I actually did pat myself on the back for overcoming the obstacle :)

3) Just a tiny grump - in this episode, for some reason, I got kinda annoyed with getting stuck into Max while walking (the wheeeee thing). Last episodes it was cute, but this time for some reason Max just kept getting in my way all the time.

I noticed this too. I think the other contributor to this thread is right when they say that Sam is stopped in his tracks when usually he would have carried on walking to his destination.

Just wanted to comment that despite those three things, the episode was still pretty good, and the fact that it's my least favorite just goes to show how great this season was :D

I liked it too. Especially the different persona's of Max :D

@matan said:
    The only thing I felt was really hard to figure out was the lunar lander. I'm supposed to cut a metal leg a regular saw? Kind of weird.

Didn't have a problem with this. After 3 rounds of torture I kind of guessed sabotage was the way forward ;)

• I didn't see the deed line earlier, so was totally stuck on this for a while... until Max' hint of him being sure there was something valuable "lying around" in the office.

Still, though, it's a little beside the point. The puzzle wasn't really to get the deed. It was to get Max' tail back. It's not immediately obvious, but you can put 2 and 2 together and deduce that you need the earthquake device to shift blue Max. Then you need a 100 trillion dollars to buy it. There was (as far as I could see) absolutely no clue given how to get that kind of money. Even if you saw the line about the deed, why would you think someone would pay you 100 trillion dollars for it? Why would Sybil have that kind of money as the "queen of Canada"? Sure, you can stumble upon the individual elements and find yourself solving the puzzle in the end, but "deducing" the solutions seemed much difficult in this episode than any of the others.

And I do like Max' hint system, but it felt like they were required listening to solve the puzzles this time rather than optional advice.

Add Comment