User Avatar Image

Countdown to episode 2

posted by aHartzell on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

Hi, all. This is Andy Hartzell, writer and lead designer for episode two of "The Devil's Playhouse." As you can see from my pitiful post history, I haven't properly acquired the forum habit yet. But I promise to visit regularly for at least the next month or two.

So let's see...what can I tell you about the upcoming installment? You know it's called "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak", and you've guessed that it involves the mysterious objects that were revealed in the final moments of "The Penal Zone". I can tell you that it's going to be a big episode and a twisty one, a tale that ranges widely in time and space. Like episode 1, this one throws a few new ingredients into the Telltale stew, but the flavor of this one is a bit different. Less oregano, more...cumin. And clove.

There, is that enigmatic enough? Please feel free to post any questions or speculations you may have, and I promise to respond promptly with cryptic non-answers.

390 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh yeah, questions.

The Penal Zone saw Sam & Max driving around New York a lot searching for clues, and therefore featured far more street areas than actual indoor environments. Will episode 2 continue this trend or will it go back to more specific indoor areas? Or possibly a mixture?

• Ok, I have a question. Will episode 2 start to branch out into completely new areas, not using straight and narrow at all? Eventually the same place and main 'base' if you like, can get a bit tiresome.

• I actually dreamed that episode 2 was out already and I had finished it.
    It made me both happy and sad, sad because I knew that there was one less to come out, but happy because it was good.
    Geez, I can be a nerd sometimes...

• Question!

Will Carol get a voice?

• @Steve2911 said: Oh yeah, questions.

The Penal Zone saw Sam & Max driving around New York a lot searching for clues, and therefore featured far more street areas than actual indoor environments. Will episode 2 continue this trend or will it go back to more specific indoor areas? Or possibly a mixture?

I've been wondering this same thing. In my opinion, the clue gathering worked for the sake of that one episode, but it's not something I'd like to see get overused.

• I cant't wait any longer! I want to play Ep.2 right now and I am the opinion that everybody who preordered Season 3 should get a special Link right now to dowload Ep.2 immediately....wouldnt't that be nice? *dream*

Anyway - question: will it be revealed in Ep.2 why Max is evil (flaming Max at the end of the episode)?

• User Avatar Image
    aHartzell Telltale Staff

Geez, I shouldna opened my big mouth. I definitely don't want to say anything about the cut puzzle before the episode comes out...and by then everybody will have such baroque ideas about it that the truth will be a disappointment. We'll see.

Steve2911, OzzieMonkey and lombre:

Though episode two picks up immediately where episode 1 left off, it makes an immediate left turn into a very different place. You won't be seeing much of the street, or most of the characters from the first episode, and your tools for puzzling and moving around are different than they were in "Penal Zone". (Not that we're leaving all the episode 1 plotlines dangling for good...it'll all tie up nicely by episode 5.)

Joop:

Now I'm curious: what was the plot of the game in your dream? Do you remember?

Nojh: Carol has all the voice she needs to get her points across.

MarkoH01: Your agitation has been noted. I wish I could give you a release date, but we still don't have one. We DID get certified by Sony, which prompted many sighs of relief, so now all systems are clear for take-off.

As for the flaming Max head...everything happens for a reason. But not all reasons are reasonable.

• @aHartzell said: Joop:

Now I'm curious: what was the plot of the game in your dream? Do you remember?

I don't remember much of a plot. I do remember them being in Skunkape's ship again in the end. I remember ending the episode, being very satisfied, but then realising that I didn't get to see any new psychic powers.
    I'll try to dream up the plot later on. ;)

Add Comment