User Avatar Image

Countdown to episode 2

posted by aHartzell on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Hi, all. This is Andy Hartzell, writer and lead designer for episode two of "The Devil's Playhouse." As you can see from my pitiful post history, I haven't properly acquired the forum habit yet. But I promise to visit regularly for at least the next month or two.

So let's see...what can I tell you about the upcoming installment? You know it's called "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak", and you've guessed that it involves the mysterious objects that were revealed in the final moments of "The Penal Zone". I can tell you that it's going to be a big episode and a twisty one, a tale that ranges widely in time and space. Like episode 1, this one throws a few new ingredients into the Telltale stew, but the flavor of this one is a bit different. Less oregano, more...cumin. And clove.

There, is that enigmatic enough? Please feel free to post any questions or speculations you may have, and I promise to respond promptly with cryptic non-answers.

390 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you can't/won't give us the release date can you give us the release date of the release date?

• @aHartzell said: Geez, I shouldna opened my big mouth. I definitely don't want to say anything about the cut puzzle before the episode comes out...and by then everybody will have such baroque ideas about it that the truth will be a disappointment. We'll see.

We are fans. We always want to know. That should be a rule already.

@aHartzell said: As for the flaming Max head...everything happens for a reason. But not all reasons are reasonable.

I never espected to hear a reasonable reason, just a reason. But if that will be revealed eventually, don't even quote me. I don't wanna know now.

• @GinnyN said: I never espected to hear a reasonable reason, just a reason. But if that will be revealed eventually, don't even quote me. I don't wanna know now.

I just chalked it up to what Momma Bosco said when you ask her about Max's psychic abilities.

• @Zeek said: I think if you haven't played any of the previous seasons, you won't get some of the jokes, like the one Momma Bosco says about the extra $15 Million "some idiots" gave her son.

I think Sam and Max's reaction makes it obvious they're the idiots in question.

• I'm sure those idiots had very good reasons!

• @Avistew said: I think Sam and Max's reaction makes it obvious they're the idiots in question.

True, but the context of it makes it funnier. :) Especially after you realize that Bosco didn't spend all that money between the Seasons to change his store to a secret conspiracy theory lab.

• @JFreeman said: If you can't/won't give us the release date can you give us the release date of the release date?

Or more importantly, can you make the release date of the release date of the release date, today?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Hey Andy! I've got a question that is not related to mobius strips at all.

What do you do around the time one of your episodes comes out? Are you ever nervous about the response it will get, or are you usually so confident in its awesomeness that you don't worry at all?

Do you celebrate? Do you obsessively check the reviews? Do you switch off all electronic devices, unplug your toaster and go spend a week in the wilderness? Do you sacrifice a goat, smear yourself in its blood, and dance naked under the light of the moon?

I for one am curious to know. :)

• Is the goal of Telltale to keep the episode lengths at about the same level they are now ( i.e - 4-5 hours gameplay tops on average) or are you guys planning on widening each episode's scope?

I enjoy the games immensely, but I doubt anyone reading this wouldn't love a few extra gameplay hours per episode :)

(yeah yeah yeah double negative... bite me :p)

• @ShinTav said: ( i.e - 4-5 hours gameplay tops on average)

How does "tops on average" work?

Add Comment