User Avatar Image

Books: a literary discussion

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

57ASs.jpg

So I've been eying and lusting after a nook and its fancy new 1.3 firmware even though I know I can't afford one. And all that looking at something meant to read books made me think about...BOOKS.

Let's talk about books. Anybody read anything recent that was really good? Have an obscure old favorite?

Where do you read books? When do you read them? What books do you read? How do you read books?

Etc and so forth.

If it involves books, say it. I'd like some good recommendations on recently published books and currently running ongoing series, too.

My favorite book of all time is Dumas's "Count of Monte Cristo"(or at least the unabridged English translation), though I of course love the geek standbys as well(Hitchhiker's Guide, Neuromancer, Slaughterhouse-Five, Snow Crash, et all). I also have Star Wars books as somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

Also, this isn't the thread about pictures of boobs. There shouldn't be pictures of boobs in this thread.

...unless it's a picture of a book that just HAPPENS to contain boobs. Because then it's absolutely on-topic and worthy of discussion.

SO.

BOOKS.

268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Alcoremortis said: You forgot flaming skulls.

No I didn't.

• @Rather Dashing said: As a 10 year-old, I'd do this by finding the one with a spaceship on the cover. Or an explosion. Or an alien planet.

Incidentally, this is pathetically similar to my current criteria.

Remind me how you ended up reading The Count of Monte-Cristo? Are you sure it's an accurate translation? :p

• @Avistew said: Remind me how you ended up reading The Count of Monte-Cristo? Are you sure it's an accurate translation? :p

It probably had a flaming skull on the cover.

• Here's what a quick trip to Google turned up:

[quote]How to Choose Books:

Some groups vote on what books they are going to read at the beginning of the year. Some let the host for the month choose. Some use the bestsellers lists or a national book club--such as Oprah's Book Club--as a guide. No matter how your book club chooses books, you also need to decide if there will be any restrictions on the choices (ie, just fiction, just paperbacks, etc.). Try this book club reading list for a year of suggestions.[/quote]

Of course, I have no idea whether or not that's useful advice, and I'm equally uncertain about the list it links to. Somehow I just can't see the Telltale Book Club using the Oprah's Book Club list...

Edit: This one looks like much better advice.

• I wish Gutenberg had a "random book" feature. We could all do that, post what we ended up with, and choose whichever we prefer or something.

EDIT: @ Guru: considering how we come from different places and might have different budgets, I really think we should restrict this to public domain stuff. Most book clubs would read books that are not public domain, so they're less practical for us.

Also, I think I'd prefer sticking with fiction but I guess I could be convinced.

• I can't say I speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure Oprah shouldn't run the Telltale Forumites Book Club.

@Avistew said: Remind me how you ended up reading The Count of Monte-Cristo? Are you sure it's an accurate translation? :p

Wait, Dantes is a space captain that is detained in a prison that is made up of an entire planet, right? At the end, he disables the AI of the planet-sized spherical robot that imprisoned him? Also, if I remember correctly, there's a disco competition on the moon, with limb-severing lasers.

• Yeah, using an established list might not be the best idea, but the advice on how to choose amongst ourselves seems pretty sound. Going with one of the classics and a book that one of our members has thoroughly enjoyed in the past seems like a good idea to me. Anyone else in favor of starting with The Count of Monte Cristo?

• @GuruGuru214 said: Anyone else in favor of starting with The Count of Monte Cristo?

I'm fine with that. I guess we could each in turn suggest a book we've previously read and everyone would read it (and we'd re-read it). Kinda "leaves out" the one person who has read it already, except if they enjoyed it they should be fine with reading it again I guess.

• Yeah, I figure if it's something that the person is happy to read again, the rest of us will hopefully really enjoy it as well.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Yeah, using an established list might not be the best idea, but the advice on how to choose amongst ourselves seems pretty sound. Going with one of the classics and a book that one of our members has thoroughly enjoyed in the past seems like a good idea to me. Anyone else in favor of starting with The Count of Monte Cristo?

I hope you're aware that The Count of Monte Cristo hovers around 1,500 pages and any printed copy, if dropped from waist-level, could kill a small cat. I may be exaggerating, I don't know, I've never actually tried to kill a cat with a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo. I don't like getting my books messy.

Add Comment