User Avatar Image

Impeach Max. No, seriously. Impeach him. The joke's not funny anymore.

posted by questionthemajority on - last edited - Viewed by 329 users

I posted this in the Penal Zone sticky, but I'm not sure if it's really getting any serious attention anymore at this point, so I thought I'd say it here as well.

Now then, considering the humor for this season of Sam & Max: For the most part, it is top notch. You get more wry and, well, Sam & Max-ish every season and this is no exception. I'm particularly fond of the fact that Max clearly has a conscience this season. One of the things that make Sam & Max so funny (at least to me) is the fact that they joke about doing awful things, but we know they'd never really do them. Well... They'd never do them to people who didn't deserve it. But the past two seasons heavily implied that, if it wasn't for Sam, Max would do absolutely sick and sadistic things to innocent people and that honestly made me dislike him a lot. This season it's more obvious that Max may be willing to brutalize bad people, but he wouldn't really hurt innocent people. We do have to actually LIKE our heroes, after all.

I do have to say, though, that I really wish you guys would try making each season fresh rather than rehashing old jokes and situations, though. It's fun seeing recurring characters like Stinky and Superball (Man, that guy cracks me up!), but some of the recurring jokes and characters are just annoying or feel alienating to new players. The Sybil/Lincoln thing was funny last season, but I was hoping you'd just let it die this year. Same with the references to Girl Stinky's true identity. For people new to the series, you're sort of giving away a lot of the jokes and plot twists for them if they ever want to play the older games. And, in the case of Girl Stinky, I feel it really hurts the Sam & Max humor of finding out something incredibly bizarre, and then never mentioning it again as though it's not really that interesting anyway.

Oh. And impeach Max. Because the President Max joke isn't funny anymore. It was wearing thin during season 2 and I rolled my eyes in disgust when Sam mentioned Max was still president this season. Again, the Sam & Max series works best when it has that sitcom element of a story can end with the weirdest of situations (like a city being destroyed, for example), but the next episode starts up with that thing having never happened. Or possibly being referred to, but no explanation for how things are different now. I don't want to sound so critical, because you guys are REALLY doing a great job. It's just that I feel that your determination to stick so closely to continuity is hurting the series.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If I remember correctly, the only real reference to Max's presidency is when Skun-ka'pe first arrived. So, this at least seems to show that Telltale's starting to let go of the joke. I do agree that it's starting to get a little old.

As for Girl Stinky, I imagine it's probably a difficult case to manage. Here is a character that is major, but has an absolute ridiculous backstory. You can't just act like the backstory never happened, but mentioning it can really alienate new players. I do think Telltale handled it well by just mentioning that she was created in a baking incident, and not that she was actually a cake. Kinda brings it up in a way that's sorta not quite as ridiculous if you think about it in a Sam & Max way.

• I agree that the repetition of characters and location its bothering me. I officially hate Harry the Moleman and Superball and wish them a lava death. And that is sad cause they were good characters, but they keep appearing everywhere and im sick of them.

It feels more like a trilogy than separate Sam & Max games. Like if they were stucked with the same characters and locations, simmilar to a play with few actors playing all the roles.
    Im hoping, if a 4th game rises, to see all new. Like with Hit the Road or the first season.

And thats all i got to say about that.
    (sorry about the long whining but i needed to let it out)

• Harry and Superball barely appear...

• @Kroms said: Harry and Superball barely appear...

From season 1 to now they appear more than enough.

• I reckon Max gets too many awesome things to happen to him. Sam should run against him in the next election! Season 4: The Campaigns!

• @The Highway said: I reckon Max gets too many awesome things to happen to him. Sam should run against him in the next election! Season 4: The Campaigns!

Unless he changes the law (which I wouldn't put past him) Max can't run a third time.

• What do laws matter to Sam & Max? Have we ever seen them REALLY care about the law?

• I would be ok with them never mentioning it again

• Maybe when Max turns into a giant monster they have an emergency election and Sam becomes president

Add Comment