User Avatar Image

Countdown to episode 2

posted by aHartzell on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

Hi, all. This is Andy Hartzell, writer and lead designer for episode two of "The Devil's Playhouse." As you can see from my pitiful post history, I haven't properly acquired the forum habit yet. But I promise to visit regularly for at least the next month or two.

So let's see...what can I tell you about the upcoming installment? You know it's called "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak", and you've guessed that it involves the mysterious objects that were revealed in the final moments of "The Penal Zone". I can tell you that it's going to be a big episode and a twisty one, a tale that ranges widely in time and space. Like episode 1, this one throws a few new ingredients into the Telltale stew, but the flavor of this one is a bit different. Less oregano, more...cumin. And clove.

There, is that enigmatic enough? Please feel free to post any questions or speculations you may have, and I promise to respond promptly with cryptic non-answers.

390 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • you picked that mistake up quicker than me...

• I think they meant "the average has to be 4-5 hours, tops" as in, "the average can't be higher than 4-5 hours".

• @ShinTav said: I enjoy the games immensely, but I doubt anyone reading this wouldn't love a few extra gameplay hours per episode :)

I LOVE that the episodes are only 4-5 hours tops, on average. Due to obligations in my life (work, family, friends, etc), breaking down the game into episodic chunks actually makes it far easier for me to plan to play. But we all knew that.

More is better of course. I would actually prefer it if the season arcs increased in the number of episodes perhaps. Also the inclusion of mini-games that Strong Bad had in game, and Monkey Island had out of game, seems like a great way to add optional "hours of gameplay" for people who have more free time than me.

Just theorizing...

• User Avatar Image
    aHartzell Telltale Staff

puzzlebox:

Sure, I read reviews as they come out, preen over the good ones and chafe over the bad ones. I want everybody to like the games I design. At the same time, though, by the time the game's out and getting reviewed I've moved on to a new project, and the game everyone's talking about is a distant memory.

Haven't tried goat blood...if you have good evidence that it works, let me know.

Shin Tav et al: I'd say Telltale is still trying to nail down the ideal episode size: long enough to be a satisfying play experience, but not so long that you start to forget it's just one chapter in the story. If some episodes have come out a bit longer than originally intended, that's just a function of our ambitions...we're always trying to top whatever we did the month before.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Thanks for your honesty, Andy. Hope you get good reason to preen when your next "distant memory" is released... I'll take care of the goat blood just in case. :p

• @Nojh said: Also the inclusion of mini-games that Strong Bad had in game, and Monkey Island had out of game, seems like a great way to add optional "hours of gameplay" for people who have more free time than me.

Just theorizing...

I thought the Extended Play in SBCG4AP was a great idea. Maybe that's what the Nutri Specs update will be like IF PC USERS GET IT ANYTIME SOON (hint, hint)(even though i know it will take a lot of effort on telltale's part)

• @The Highway said: (even though i know it will take a lot of effort on telltale's part)

...? They already have it done and ready to go, it's just planned as part of an upcoming promotion. They don't have to like, remake it from the ground up or anything.

• At the end of season 2, Satan says something like "Don't get tired of me so soon, because you'll be seeing so much of me later". Now, since Season 3 is called "The DEVIL's Playhouse and we saw the DEVIL's Toy Box, has Satan's warning something to do with the plot of the game?

• No, it's just him saying that Sam & Max are going to hell when they die. But I wouldn't mind a cameo! Personally, I felt he was a strong, albeit minor, Season 2 character.

Add Comment