User Avatar Image

I like cheese

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 636 users

especially sharp cheddar.

140 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I know people to this day who, instead of saying "Jesus Christ" intentionally say "cheese and rice!"

• A website about our lord Cheeses.

Did you know that there are vegetarian cheese? How do they make it?

• They use a vegetarian as the starter culture.

• @tredlow said: Did you know that there are vegetarian cheese? How do they make it?

Non-vegetarian cheese is made with rennet, which comes from calves' stomachs. Just explaining because a lot of people are confused by the idea of "vegetarian cheese", thinking that all cheese is vegetarian. Cheeses that don't use rennet use either microbial enzyme or fungus as a starter, if I'm not mistaken.

Vegan cheese is another story. Most soy cheeses do have some milk ingredients in them and are more targeted towards the lactose intolerant than towards vegan people.

Then you have "uncheese", which is what I have since I can't have milk. Most of that is home-made. For instance for a fake parmesan you use sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and miso and ground the whole thing together. I call that parmiso. It's pretty tasty.

• Why can't you have milk?

They do make stuff for lactose intolerant people.

• @Chyron8472 said: Why can't you have milk?

They do make stuff for lactose intolerant people.

I'm not lactose intolerant, I'm allergic to milk. I'm still allergic to lactose-free milk products.

• Wow.

That means you can't have anything with real cheese in it either?
    That would mean you can't have pizza. Ick, what a horrible thought.

That really sucks. :(

Although, I knew someone from college whose brother was allergic to gluten. I think that's probably alot worse.

• @Chyron8472 said: Wow.

That means you can't have anything with real cheese in it either?

That would mean you can't have pizza. Ick, what a horrible thought.

Or butter, or cream.
    I can have pizza, but I can't buy it from the grocery store, I need to either make it myself or get it from a vegan place or something. Which there aren't any around here :p

Really, it doesn't change much for homemade stuff since there are lots of non-dairy milks to cook with, but it does reduce the amount of stuff I can buy by a lot. I once had a reaction from a bag of chips. Just salt&pepper chips. We checked and they did have "milk ingredients" in the list, we had missed that.
    It's pretty silly the number of things that have milk when milk has no business being in them.

• I think I can safely say that I wouldn't be able to survive without dairy products. I was just thinking of the last few days and what I have eaten and pretty much every meal had cheese or milk in it somewhere.

• Im surprised this thread isn't plastered with Wallace.....

I had some cheesy garlic noodles for lunch is was pretty good.

Add Comment