User Avatar Image

Theology

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet, but there are a lot of down to earth and rational people on this forum so I decided to give it a go.

I want to hear your beliefs. Also, try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's opinions. I don't care weather you're a fanatic catholic, fanatic atheist or whatever. Arguing about "who's right" is just a terrible cliche.

Personally I believe that there is a god. I'm not agnostic, I believe in god, but that's just my own spiritual reflection on it. I don't judge other religions and say that "this is right", it's more along the lines of Baruch de Spinoza's take on it where you see god as everything. Maybe there's a word for what that is, I don't know. I prefer to look at everything that is beyond our understanding with humility. Most of my religious knowledge lies within catholicism and I generally agree with the ten commandments, but I also believe that the religion is blurred for the sake of politics, ways of maintaining order and fanatic influences (edit: + things that are lost in translation). In short, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so it's possible that I won't be able to keep up with the discussion. I'd just like to hear your views :)

305 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I personally am a Christian, meaning that I believe in God's existence, I believe that Jesus existed and I believe that he did die for man's sins. I just aim to follow what the Bible says because I believe that it puts forward and promotes a good way of living.

• 1. I agree on your statement that
    discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet

2. As theology is an ancient field of study, there certainly is a name for your type of belief. I can't name it though, as you did not yet specify if you just believe that God is everything, God is in everything, everything is God or everything is part of God ... I think there are more directions of this but I can't remember what they are called and what the exact difference in meaning is.

• Just to give initial background on myself, I go to a baptist church, though as baptist churches are set up to be generally autonomous my church is a bit less conservative when it comes to how we worship. This is to say that there are people who joined my church that have come from other denominations, which has somewhat influenced the format of our worship services to be more inclusive to various doctrines our members might have.

from Wikipedia
    Baptists are a group of Christian denominations, churches, and individuals who subscribe to a theology of believer's baptism (as opposed to infant baptism), salvation through faith alone, Scripture alone as the rule of faith and practice, and the autonomy of the local church. They generally practice baptism by immersion (as opposed to affusion or sprinkling). They disavow authoritative creeds while affirming the Trinity.

That sounds like me, with exception for "disavowing authoritative creeds" as I can remember reciting the Apostle's Creed on more than one occasion during a worship service (though not on a regular basis) and "by grace through faith alone."

Suffice it to say that I believe that Jesus Christ is both 100% man and 100% God; that The Bible is "God-breathed" (which is to say written by man and inspired by God); and that God speaks to me on a regular basis, whether literally or through someone else or certain otherwise-unexplainable circumstances.

None of the atheists or agnostics on these forums will sway me from this, even by quoting passages from books of law from the Old Testament (which are usually taken out of literary or cultural context.) I follow what Christ teaches, as exemplified in Matthew 22:

One of [the Pharisees], an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

...again, I really do hope that this thread doesn't descend into a fight and get locked.

• I'm a Neo-Pagan. For those unfamiliar, it's a polytheistic, earth-based religion.

I agree that this thread should remain civil. Everybody has their own path in life, and I honestly believe that they are all perfectly valid.

• I'm an atheist. I wasn't raised with any religion and don't know what my parents believe. When I learned about religion, I learned about it as something intimate and personal, therefore talking about it tends to make me uncomfortable. I always feel like I'm saying the wrong thing, especially since I know so little about it.

I don't believe in God, but I kind of feel like if he exists (which, again, I don't believe to be the case. But I try to keep open to the eventuality that when I die, I might realise I was actually wrong), it doesn't change anything anyways. I always try to do what feels right, and I personally think that if God exists, what will put you in heaven isn't believing in him or praying, but doing the right things for the right reasons.
    However as I said I feel religion is something personal, and I feel praying isn't something people do for whatever God they believe in but for themselves, and I do believe it is helpful. Just clarifying that I'm not bashing praying, either. I simply think it is irrelevant to whether you're a good person or not.

I've never understood people who try to change each other's mind. If you believe in God, I have no reason to take it as a personal insult or something. On the other hand, I am annoyed by people who hide behind their religion to excuse their bad behaviour, basically saying "you should respect my right to persecute other people because it's my religion!" I've known enough tolerant, religious people to know that religion is no excuse for being intolerant.

I think that covers it. Basically I don't feel that religion should be such a big deal. I feel it should be a personal thing and that your spiritual beliefs should only guide your own behaviour, and not become some sort of law that everyone has to live by just because you want them to.

• This is pretty cool. I love hearing about other religions! And due to the arguments that spring up, I rarely get a chance to talk about them

I personally am Catholic, simply because I like a more rigid structure to religion, but also try to follow Buddhism as a philosophy, because I think that it has some very good ideas as to how to live everyday life.

• @Alcoremortis said:
    I personally am Catholic, simply because I like a more rigid structure to religion, but also try to follow Buddhism as a philosophy, because I think that it has some very good ideas as to how to live everyday life.

I've thought about adopting a Buddhist philosophy myself. How well does that blend with your Catholicism, out of curiosity? I'd imagine some traditionalists raising an eyebrow at that.

EDIT: And the thread tags roll in. Good job on the open-mindedness, anonymous people.

• @ShaggE said: I've thought about adopting a Buddhist philosophy myself. How well does that blend with your Catholicism, out of curiosity? I'd imagine some traditionalists raising an eyebrow at that.

It blends pretty well. I'm of the opinion that most religions are compatible anyways, of course, but its really just like adding more substance to an existing religion. It always bothered me that Catholicism didn't have much of an opinion on how to treat yourself or how to live in this world (its more about preparing for the next) so I just added on a little extra.

Doubtless it would bother the Opus Dei segment (actually, I'm positive it would) but I don't really care.

• I like the way you think, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :p

• @Avistew said: Basically I don't feel that religion should be such a big deal. I feel it should be a personal thing and that your spiritual beliefs should only guide your own behaviour, and not become some sort of law that everyone has to live by just because you want them to.

The problem with keeping it to oneself comes into play when, as in the case of Christianity, we are taught to spread the Word, such as is written in Matthew 28:
    "[G]o and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

On a seperate note, I went to my cousin's wedding at a Unitarian Church (her mom's church.) It was so weird. Unitarian churches (which are not Christian, btw) are marked, so I understand, by their intent on including anyone that would hold any religious belief of any kind, even those who have none at all. The effect of this seems to be that it might as well just be a club where people come to hang out.

But I digress. The wedding ceremony was strange. For one thing, the pastor gave a prayer at some point, but it seemed as though he was praying to anyone or no one at all. It felt as though he might as well have been praying to the light fixtures in the ceiling for all the difference it made. ...And then my uncle got up and prayed to "Jesus for shedding His blood on the cross to rescue us from our sin." The pastor's face went so beet-red/purple it was almost comical.

Add Comment