User Avatar Image

Will you replay 'Tales' in 10 years?

posted by Armand1880 on - last edited - Viewed by 524 users

(Note: Please don't turn this into a "I hate Escape" thread)

I first played MI1 when I was 7.

I played MI2 when I was 8.

MI3 I watched the development of, I remember watching the trailer and trying to download the 20MB demo over dial up (I eventually just bought the PC Gamer with the demo on the disc - I still have magazine in a box with LeChuck on the cover). I finally played it when I was 12 or 13 when it came out.

MI4 I remember watching E3 news and being shocked by the first screen shot. I played it the day it came out when I was 15.

Now I'm 24, and I watched the details leak out about Tales from day one and left work early for Episode 1 to be released. Tales came out and I played it. I enjoyed it very much. I play all the first four Monkey Island games at least once a year (yes, even Escape), and I see myself doing do for many years to come. I'm sure many of us are the same way with re-playing these games. I can't count how many times I've played them...But will I play Tales once a year as well? Probably not. I might replay it before season 2 inevitably comes out...but will I see it with the same love and affection of the first four games? No.

I think it has something to do my age now, and nostalgia: wanting to relive part of my child hood. I love the series, and I can't wait for season 2 of Tales. But does Tales hold the same place in my heart? No. Will I add it into my re-play mix of the first four each year? No. Do I see myself still loading it up ten years from now? Probably not.

What do you all think?

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ask me again in ten years.
    I have no idea where I'll live, what I'll do, if I'll have time to play games, if I'll still have my DVD, if I'll have access to the Internet or even to a computer, etc, etc in ten years.
    So, whether I'll be playing a specific game? No clue.

• I imagine I will play them once a year or so... I play all the old ones still.... same with Sam & Max....

• @Avistew said: Ask me again in ten years.
    I have no idea where I'll live, what I'll do, if I'll have time to play games, if I'll still have my DVD, if I'll have access to the Internet or even to a computer, etc, etc in ten years.
    So, whether I'll be playing a specific game? No clue.

I guess I wasn't curious about the literal aspect of it. I guess I'm wondering if it impacted you the same way as the originals. Maybe it was a poorly written post.

• I think I am harder to impress now then when the first Monkey Island games came out... when I first played them it was magic... its harder to stand out now a days.. though.

• i think i will do! I regret the day i broke those cd's i got along with my audio system. Monkey island is my all time favorite game. It holds sentimental value to me and sometimes i feel like the sudden urge to replay. When MI2:LR SE comes out i will definetly play all from Mi1 to TOMI!

• @Armand1880 said: I guess I wasn't curious about the literal aspect of it. I guess I'm wondering if it impacted you the same way as the originals. Maybe it was a poorly written post.

Maybe I was just being a smartass.

Really, the only one I've replayed several times is Curse, and my last replay was... ten years ago?
    I might replay MI1 and MI2 soon, and I haven't played them in... maybe 15 years.
    If I replay Tales in 10 years, it's likely I wouldn't have played it in the meantime.

To answer your rephrased question, no, it didn't impact me in the same way as the previous ones (not sure what you mean by "originals". Either Secret was the only original or they all are). I liked bits and pieces of it but I don't really see myself replaying the whole thing. I only see myself replaying Chapter 4, really, and only because of Stan.
    Stan is the one thing I liked better in Tales than in any of the other games. Tales Stan actually made me appreciate the previous Stans better.

I'm looking forward to the commentaries and bonuses though. These I can see myself playing over and over again.

• I definitely will, I've already replayed ToMI several times. When I replay the earlier games, I usually play all of them in a row except Escape, and the only reason I don't play Escape is that even with the patches and special launcher, it keeps crashing my PC. (if Steam releases a copy that'll actually work on Windows 7, I'll definitely be buying it) So unless ToMI suffers from the same compatibility issues, it'll get played just the same as the others.

• @Avistew said: Maybe I was just being a smartass.

If it helps, I would have made a very similar post. Not sure if that would make you feel better or worse about it, though. :D

I honestly don't know. I've played Secret and LeChuck's Revenge probably a grand total of three times in my life, five max. I've played Curse twice, once when it came out and once before Tales arrived, same with Escape.

I LOVED the Sam and Max seasons, but I probably won't replay them for some time. Same with Tales, I think.

• Yeah, I generally replay adventures after several years, and I see why not with ToMI.

• I'm not sure. Possibly. Probably?

Add Comment