User Avatar Image

References to Escape

posted by Teeth on - last edited - Viewed by 273 users

As with every Monkey Island game, Tales of Monkey Island has tons of references to its predecessors. However, while it's chock-full of callbacks to Secret, Revenge and Curse, Escape is often skimmed over or ignored; Morgan knows about all of Guybrush's adventures, except for that time he used a giant monkey robot to kill an evil Australian land developer, and Stan seems to have forgotten the time he spent hawking real estate (though he does mention Jambalaya Island), and Murray doesn't really go into why he quit working at Planet Threepwood.

Of course, I can understand why it was done this way, seeing as the game has its...fair share of problems. And rebooting the series back to its original style rather than continuing on in the direction Escape was heading in was definitely the best way to go.

Here are all the references to Escape from Monkey Island I found in Tales of Monkey Island:

-At the beginning, Elaine says "And now we're going to die. Again." Presumably, she's referring to Guybrush being buried alive in Curse and herself being declared legally dead in Escape, respectively. It's a very cryptic comment, mind you.
-The Ultimate Insult is on Guybrush's Cursed Cutlass of Kerflu recipe.
-Jambalaya Island is mentioned by Stan
-Guybrush's middle name is still Ulysses, or at least, it begins with a U.
-Guybrush mentions LeChuck's living statue form.

It would appear that only the most important events from Escape, involving Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck and Stan, have carried over to Tales, and the rest of the game can be left vague. The only exception would be the stuff involving Herman Toothrot, which will probably never be touched apon and we'll most likely never see him again. :p

But anyway, does anyone know if anything else from Escape From Monkey Island is ever mentioned in Tales?

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah Guybrush's middle name is still Ulysses. There's a bit in RotPG (can't remember when, I played it months ago. Play it again when the DVD is out!), when Guybrush says something like "Ha! That's my middle name! ... Actually it's...Ulysses, but..."

Yeah I doubt we'll see Herman again if there are any more games, or HORATIO as we must now call him. :rolleyes:

• Wait what? When does he say that? ... Actually now that I think about it, when exactly did they say his middle name in Escape? (haven't played it since it's release....oh wow....)

• In Escape Elaine addresses him by his full name if you try to drink the can of grog. In The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood he mentions it when you talk to Bosun Krebbs in Club 41.

• Also, 1 LeChuck line is partially rehashed.

EfMI: The Ultimate Insult. With it's unholy powers I will make the sea run red with the blood of my enemies. I will bring the forces of hell to the shores of the carribean....

The bolded part was a line which LeChuck used in Launch of the Screaming Narhwal.
    It's a small part, so it could be an coincidence ;)

• @LeChuck1986 said: Also, 1 LeChuck line is partially rehashed.

EfMI: The Ultimate Insult. With it's unholy powers I will make the sea run red with the blood of my enemies. I will bring the forces of hell to the shores of the carribean....

The bolded part was a line which LeChuck used in Launch of the Screaming Narhwal.
    It's a small part, so it could be an coincidence ;)

That's actually a very well used quote, so it's probably just coincidence.

• There's also Morgan in RotPG saying "I'm gonna hunt pirates! Present company excluded, of course." And in the Voodoo Lady's shop in Escape, attempting to pick up the Voodoo doll makes Guybrush say "I don't like torturing strangers. Present company excluded, of course."

• Kind of makes me wish less people liked Curse so we could boot back all the way to the actually good games, but I suppose public opinion can't be helped.

• @Rather Dashing said: Kind of makes me wish less people liked Curse so we could boot back all the way to the actually good games, but I suppose public opinion can't be helped.

Oh come on, barring the last two acts of Curse, which were rushed, what's wrong with places like Plunder Island, Blood Island? Characters like Murray, Goodsoup, etc.

Plus the music was awesome, Michael Land's best really, the character designs may be weird to some, but background designs are brilliant, etc.

And besides, as much as you hate Curse, if we didn't acknowledge it, then Tales couldn't exist, not just about the whole Ring issue but also, you know, the whole MI2 ending thing.

Each time I've seen you moan about apparently how crap Curse is, it seems to stem from the last two chapters in the game where they dared to explain what the hell happened after MI2. Even though the whole Curse thing was hinted at in the end of MI2?

• I was on the lookout during Tales for a throwaway line offering closure to Timmy the monkey's story.

Add Comment